You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Some Basic answers about downloading.

I am a long time Nik and Aperture user.  Downloaded Affinity and have been playing with it for a couple of weeks.  I like the product very much however am experienceing some very basic problems.  So far I have just been dragging individual raw photos into the program.  Not having as much trouble with the tools as I am with just getting started in a consistent manner.  Ofter I will correct the photo go to develop and get a message saying "Please select an RGB pixel layer before entering Develop."  Another time I will not have that problem.  Often the MP will increase and occasionally dramatically decrease to under 1 MP.  Could someone just give me the basics for proper setup.  Can't seem to find an explanation in the tutorials.  The rest of the features and programs will sink in over time as I play and explore.

Thank you

• Staff

Hi daisy,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

When you open or drag a RAW file to Affinity, it will automatically open it the Develop Persona. This is where you should make  the RAW conversion/development (i.e. all major global adjustments - generally speaking - to the image/raw data) before moving to the Photo Persona which is geared towards localised edits/compositing. If the image you're opening it's not a RAW file but a generic jpeg or png file it will open directly in the Photo Persona since there's no raw data to work with (a jpeg/png etc is an image that was already processed by the camera or other software). Here, you can still switch to the Develop Persona to use its features, but you will be affecting only the selected layer in the Layers panel, not the whole image as with a RAW file. This is the reason why it asks you to select an RGB pixel layer to work with.

I don't understand what do you mean when you said that the MP will increase/decrease occasionally  Where are you reading that value? Can you post a screenshot of it?

Explains a lot. Sometimes I had been reprocessing jpegs in Aperture to Raw, then bringing them to Affinity to see if I could perhaps get a better product.  They may not have actually gone completely back to Raw.  I was picking up the MP's in Aperture or in mail after I exported the edit back, not in Affinity.  I have dragged my heals on converting to Lightroom and never used photoshop.  I really like Affinity and hope I will learn it just as I did Aperture.  Use iPhoto and Aperture for storage.  Would closing down iPhoto and using Photos and Aperture make for a smoother product.  Once again, Thanks.