You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Create/Export animated GIF (Photo and Designer)

I'd love Affinity P and D to both have the ability to export animated GIFs, including the ability to import a movie file (to be converted), and having a timeline system where you can 'stack' images/frames along the timeline, assigning each a hold duration.

Currently, that is the only reason I (reluctantly) have to fire up Photoshop once in a while, as it's the only software I have to assemble a sequence and export an animated GIF with.

It would be awesome if AF and/or AP would have a full edit system for assembling/exporting animated GIFs.

• 1 month later...

While related to designer, it would benefit from a simple layer based animation, where each layer is a frame. Of course timeline would be preferable by using snapshot or some other for each keyframe, but something to allow making animations with vectors (designer) and pixelmaps (photo) is needed.

Export as GIF and even as MJPEG and APNG.

Leave Photoshop for animation, and load up OpenToonz instead: save your work as a layered PSD from Affinity, load the PSD as a 'Level" in an OpenToonz Scene, each layer is imported as a layer which can be animated (tweened) directly in OpenToonz, or load the layers as frames in one layer. Groups can be loaded as subscenes as well!

OpenToonz will export to animated GIF if you point it to FFMpeg.

Completely free, FAR more capable as an animation app than Photoshop, and a joy to animate with (in particular compared to Photoshop!).

Get the latest build here: https://github.com/opentoonz/opentoonz_nightlies/releases

Hey, that's actually an interesting idea.  I think I have OpenToonz installed, but never thought of checking it for animated GIF capability.  Totally slipped my mind!

I do my 2D animation in Moho, which is also excellent.  That does them to, I think. (...I noticed that late in the game!  ANYTHING to not have to fire up Photoshop...)

Ya, that sounds awesome.  I'll check it tomorrow.

Thanks for pointing that out to me.

Cheers!

• 7 months later...
On 4/23/2020 at 3:37 PM, ladlon said:

I'd love Affinity P and D to both have the ability to export animated GIFs, including the ability to import a movie file (to be converted), and having a timeline system where you can 'stack' images/frames along the timeline, assigning each a hold duration.

Currently, that is the only reason I (reluctantly) have to fire up Photoshop once in a while, as it's the only software I have to assemble a sequence and export an animated GIF with.

It would be awesome if AF and/or AP would have a full edit system for assembling/exporting animated GIFs.

I've tried all the animation software including opentoonz and all of them destroy the file missing objects and effects.

Petition
I found a petition to make Affinity Animator a thing! If you sign it and maybe we can move mountains.

timeline.png

• 3 weeks later...

Serif don't do any animation software. They have said that they have no plans to do so!

People are continually talking about petitions and fund raising, and there are endless forum threads with lots of people posting "+1" to try to persuade Serif to produce animation software, Linux versions, movie editing software, web design software, PDF editors, a DAM app etc. 

Serif are a comparatively small company already developing three apps, on three different platforms. Personally I would much prefer that they concentrate on making the current apps as good as they possibly can, rather than spreading themselves too thinly by diversifying to try to keep everyone happy! (Which is something that seemed to be happening with their old, legacy, "Plus" range.)

I'm sure Serif have looked carefully at what the best business model is for their company. I am also sure they will introduce other software, if and when they think it appropriate.

There are plenty of alternatives out there for the types of app that Serif don't do, why not just use what is already available?

IMHO - It's much better to produce a few apps that are excellent (as I am sure the Affinity apps will be in time), rather than numerous ones that are mediocre. 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Aren't there enough GIF animation building tools (?), the net is full of them, freeware, opensource, commercial ones etc.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

22 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Aren't there enough GIF animation building tools (?), the net is full of them, freeware, opensource, commercial ones etc.

None are compatible with Affinity Software. I've tried them all and all of them break the files completely and expect you to recreate the geometry from scratch I their program.

• 2 months later...
On 1/20/2021 at 12:37 PM, dotails said:

I've tried all the animation software including opentoonz and all of them destroy the file missing objects and effects.

Petition
I found a petition to make Affinity Animator a thing! If you sign it and maybe we can move mountains.

timeline.png

Your solicitation for joining change.org and private messaging is actually a violation of the terms of service:
https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/guidelines/ 

Points from the guidelines are:

• Try not to multi-post
  • Please keep conversations on topic - this isn’t the place to talk politics, or last night’s footie score. (Change.org is a site where people use social media to pressure change through political action. Creating a change.org campaign actually creates an antagonistic position between Affinity and the user community).
  •  Chain letters, pyramid schemes and the solicitation of other Users to join or become members of any commercial online service or other organisation are also prohibited. (Asking us to join change.org qualifies)
  • references to any other website or store in any way that is believed to be solely for advertising (Change.org is actually a contact harvesting company where you think you are gaining a voice but in their terms of service they are selling your contact information for the purpose of advertising)

I am thrilled that Affinity gives us the collaborative opportunity to share ideas about future enhancements to their product. Whether it is your intent or by accident, you use this tool abusively to form an antagonistic campaign to pressure Affinity into building a feature you want works directly against the kind of relationship Affinity is trying to build with it's customers. It is disrespectful by it's nature. I am not saying you cannot personally chose to start an antagonistic petitioning campaign, but you cannot use the resources here to do it.

BUT isn't it great that we can share ideas with Affinity right here?  I really don't want to start some negative pressuring aspect of entitlement where we attempt to democratize a private company's investments. If a person really wants that feature and is willing to leave Affinity to find it somewhere else, they are free to do so. If Affinity find the feature will sustain or grow their business, I am certain they will make a decision to include it at some point. But it is their product and up to them.

If affinity suddenly open sourced their product to let us invest our programming skills, that would be a different issue. Or if they created a space where people could micro-finance a feature by investing innovation dollars almost like letting the community "indie-gogo" a feature and Affinity managed teams to build features based on what met a financing goal first, again - that would be different. I would support real investment.

@enginpost
Antagonistic? Definition; showing or feeling active opposition or hostility toward someone or something.

This is clearly wrong.
We (100+ people who have raised our hand,) are sharing our LOVE for affinity software and our desire to helping it win over any competition. Businesses need to know the market's needs so they can offer a supply, and we can help them make informed decisions for developing in sectors that don't waste resources. Petitions are just for clarity, we can share a simple number rather than hundreds of comments scattered all over the internet; forums and discord, reddit... I've actually worked really hard for 11 months to unify our voice so it is easier for Serif to make it out in the noise of the internet. I've read countless messages of people who both love affinity and need animation in their pipeline.

We are even resorting to manually tweening and compiling affinity rendered frames by hand (like the old days) rather than leave Affinity because they mean that much to us. I've even been discussing developing a plugin that uses a macro to tween and compile from affinity. We can help the Affinity team one way or another either by informing or coding.

Your claim that 'sharing petitions is being abusive' is what's 
antagonistic. If anyone reads our comments it will be obvious that we adore the Affinity team, otherwise we would have just moved to another software with animation. I've tried them all and nobody comes close to what Affinity offers. Affinity has our vote and nobody is going to be able to support an antithesis case like yours.

@dotails

Sorry I agree with @enginpost, by trying to recruit members to join another forum, website, campaign, with it's intent to force a company to change their product is going against the terms of use for this forum. Like, enginpost, I'm just another user/member, and Serif will determine if it is or not.

Serif has been very gracious to allow users to offer their suggestions for improvements and features. It seems you have offered you're request or at least shown that you support a feature request. There's numerous such requests that have been offered several years ago and not made the cut yet, or if they will ever make it. I think it is wrong, just because one does not get one's way immediately or at least in a time they feel it should be, they would resort to such tactics as force, pressuring. Our world (at least on this side of the pond) are too familiar with this nonsense.

Serif produces a product, that are tools, used by artists, authors and the like. You are here using Affinity from Photoshop, Corel, or wherever because those apparently did not have something you needed or wanted. If it's because of the $$$, then maybe start a campaign on your petition site to force PS, Corel or whomever to change that?

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

@Ron .P This is a great example of the exaggerating fragile internet. Disagreement is considered hate, truth is considered offense, hugs are considered abuse, and counting hands is considered force.

The Affinity Team, as always, can do whatever they want, I'm merely helping denoise the community by counting hands because it's a lot easier to parse a single number than thousands of comments all over the internet.

I love this community so I want do whatever I can to foster better communication.

On 1/20/2021 at 12:37 PM, dotails said:

Sorry, resorting to petitioning is not just trying to denoise by counting hands. It's a mass demanding an action. Serif has this forum, which they do not have to provide. Are you familiar with Corel's Help Forum? I can tell you from being an Admin at that forum for over 15 yrs, that any such action would get you banned. Also they don't even like members suggesting how to change their products, they don't listen to even the Mods and Admins.

Serif does pay attention to the Feedback forums, they just don't participate in them. Over the past 4 yrs I've been here, I have seen 1 instance where Serif engaged in the suggestion for adding TGA support. They apparently were on the fence about doing so, and due to the feedback being properly presented, they agreed and added it to the next release.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• Staff

Please don't argue, customers can ask for things they want. If you don't agree, just move on.

We're not short of ideas or a long term plan.

There's no need to use other websites to collect this information.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

@Patrick ConnorYeah, I've worked hard for months counting people scattered all over the internet so I agree customers can ask for things they want. I've been listening to them and we have been planning a plugin that helps affinity render animation through macros. Two people on this page disagree with our work out of hundreds who agree. Knowing the internet that's pretty good results. Thanks for stepping in and reminding me to focus on the positive, I won't discuss with these two anymore.

On 4/18/2021 at 4:24 AM, dotails said:

@Patrick ConnorYeah, I've worked hard for months counting people scattered all over the internet so I agree customers can ask for things they want. I've been listening to them and we have been planning a plugin that helps affinity render animation through macros. Two people on this page disagree with our work out of hundreds who agree. Knowing the internet that's pretty good results. Thanks for stepping in and reminding me to focus on the positive, I won't discuss with these two anymore.

like I said to you privately as well as on this forum. I think we all love how responsive Affinity is as well as how great it is that we have a place to discuss these things. The only objection here is the tactic of using another website to compel Affinity to listen to you and your perspective (you in the collective sense not you in the personal sense).

We all love Affinity tools and we all want them to grow. But this isn't growth and investment by democracy. For all I know, Affinity is work on this feature. My guess would be that it isn't at the top of the list. But maybe it shows up in the next big version?

I will conclude my perspective with the definition of the word petition:

1. A solemn supplication or request, especially to a superior authority; an entreaty.
  2. A formal written document requesting a right or benefit from a person or group in authority.

If we are using definition #1, I think we do that here everyday and am thankful that Affinity hosts and responds to the forums. If we are using definition #2, and using an external website to achieve that both violates the terms of service as well as pushes toward appealing for an entitled right to have what you want at the expense of other feature enhancements that come at the cost of social pressure and manipulation and implementing your feature over other features that might actually add more Affinity market share based on their research.  I can completely relate to wanting features really badly. But when it comes to animating art - I am more than happy to use creative free tools like Blender or Black Magic Fusion one of many vector asset animation tools in the mean time. There are plenty of pixel and vector features I would love to see in Affinity Photo, including animation, and while Animation is on my list (I used it in Photoshop to show the animation of UX designs by animating layers) I can do that will a lot of other tools and it isn't so high up on my list that I want to campaign in a manner that creates bad press for Affinity.

• 3 months later...

Needed to edit an animated GIF, thought there'd be a way to do it in AF for some reason because AF reminds me so much of Macromedia/Adobe Fireworks. No dice. Just downloaded a working trial of MX 2004 and ran it in a Windows 7 VM. Did the trick but... ick. ;)