You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity DXO and Nik Collection

I have Affinity Photo and DXO Photo Lab 2 with NIK Collection. Can I use this NIK Collection in Affinity Photo and if so, how is it installed ?

Or would I need a second DXO Nik collection lizense and what would it cost an how can I find it ?

best regards Karl1

If you own the NIK Collection, you do not need to purchase another license. The NIK Collection is a collection of Photoshop plugins that you can easily use in Affinity Photo.

If you don't have the latest version of NIK Collection, I recommend to update to the current version 2.5, which is free for NIK Collection 2.x customers at https://nikcollection.dxo.com/.

Then find the folder where your NIK Collection is installed. For me (Windows 10) this is the folder

C:\Program Files\DxO\Nik Collection2\Nik Collection

In Affinity Photo, you go to

• Edit/Preferences/Photoshop Plugins/Add
    (German version: .Bearbeiten/Einstellungen/Photoshop Plugins/Hinzufügen)
  • and enter the folder where the NIK Collection is installed.
  • As a precaution check Allow "unknown"  Plugins to be used (Verwendung "unbekannter" Plugins erlauben), although this should not be necessary.
  • After restarting Affinity Photo, go to Edit/Preferences/Photoshop Plugins again to verify that the plugins of the NIK Collection are properly installed.

NIK2.PNG.4aee436a12c61f0d5124c414686ac36e.PNG

Under Filter/Plugins you can use them now.

regards,
Chris

Thank you for the comprehensive information.

My NIK Collection is part of my licensed DXO Photolab. As I can not find the folder Nik Collection2\Nik Collection under ...DXO this seems to be not a full NIK Collection.
So I think I can use it solely under the DXO Photolab ( unless I purchase it at full price).

best regards

Karl1

Hello Karl,

As far as I know, Photolab2 does not contain the NIK Collection, ( https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/articles/360028526451-If-I-buy-DxO-PhotoLab-2-ESSENTIAL-or-ELITE-why-don-t-I-get-Nik-Collection-2-by-DxO-included- ), but can use the filters of the NIK Collection directly.

For Affinity Photo you need the Photoshop plugins, which you can identify by the extension .8bf.  Search in your program folder for the file Dfine2.8bf.  If you can't find it, you don't own the NIK Collection.

The NIK Collection was originally sold for about $500, Google bought the company from Nik and offered the collection for free after a while, later it was sold to DXO.

If you don't need the actual version (it got some additional effects from DXO), you can still get version 1.2 for free and save 99 €. The free version works fine with Affinity Photo.

The (very well hidden) download link at DXO:
https://nikcollection.dxo.com/nik-collection-2012/

In exchange for your mail address you will get the download link sent to you.

Set up the NIK Collection in Affinity Photo as described in my previous post, the installation folder should be
\Program Files\Dxo\Nik Collection\Nik Collection

regards,
Chris