You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How do I: Alignment and snap features

How would I align these two wing sections so their corners match up exactly?

post-15746-0-28891900-1437841333_thumb.png

In Freehand, I could grab a group by any of the points inside that group.  Without ungrouping, the cursor would simply snap to the nearest point.  Then as I moved the group, the cursor would then snap to any other point.  This would insure perfect alignment.  How would I do this Infinity Designer?

Note that even Illustrator will do this   I've had to use a decade-old Macintosh for this capability.  

This is a 3D cutout model of an F-15.  The wings are created by drawing one half then duplicating it.  The duplicate is altered to create a camber when folded over.  The duplicate is then flipped over and rotated to align perfectly with the original.  While easy to do in Freehand, every modern graphic design software has failed to do this necessary task.  Illustrator users simply tell me to zoom wayyyyyy in and eyeball the alignment.

Affinity Designer's  snapping options work only for square objects or those with corners.  I'm trying to line up an angular edge to another angular edge, so there are no corners to snap to, only arbitrary vector points inside a group.  I'll have to propose this as a feature request.

• Staff

Hi Kishkumen,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

The guides and snapping are currently being improved to allow more flexibility. They will be available later as a free update.

Currently to align your objects to the following:

- select the object you want to align

- change to the Node Tool and press ⌘ (cmd) + A to select all nodes

- make sure Snap to selected objects and Snap all when dragging are both enabled on the Snap section in the context toolbar

- with the Node Tool still selected ⇧ (shift) + click the object you want to align to (in your case the wing outline)

- now drag one of the nodes from the original object you want to align over the node of the wing outline. They should all snap (the nodes).

Let me know if you still have trouble.

• 2 months later...

Hi all. I have just moved to affinity designer from adobe illustrator, and I had a issue of alignment.

Issue 1: May I align the blue shape to the green one manually as my figure? Now It arranges with average space automatically when I align two shapes

l4zo47nsjw59o626g.jpg

Issue 2: May I distribute horizontally one shape to another with 0 mm space? 

8acc4k6vrwrb5g46g.jpg

vietchigo_web100.png.15cd8ed9ae3a19ac5fdc9d18f93de7b7.png

www.vietchigo.vn

• 3 years later...
On 7/26/2015 at 10:25 PM, MEB said:

Hi Kishkumen,

The guides and snapping are currently being improved to allow more flexibility. They will be available later as a free update.

Currently to align your objects to the following:

- select the object you want to align

- change to the Node Tool and press ⌘ (cmd) + A to select all nodes

- make sure Snap to selected objects and Snap all when dragging are both enabled on the Snap section in the context toolbar

- with the Node Tool still selected ⇧ (shift) + click the object you want to align to (in your case the wing outline)

- now drag one of the nodes from the original object you want to align over the node of the wing outline. They should all snap (the nodes).

Let me know if you still have trouble.

This is great! I am happy to find this workaround, even though I was hoping it to be more natural like in Inkscape, you can snap nodes of different shapes to each other directly by using Move Tool.
Anyway, this is not the main reason I am replying here, actually, I found that this method only snaps to Path and Sharp Nodes, if the node is Smooth I can't snap to it!
Am I missing something here?

Thanks

01.JPG

• Staff

Hi Mustafa Kadhem,
It should also snap to smooth nodes. Do you have both objects selected and Snap to selected objects and Snap all when dragging both enabled in the context toolbar (with Node Tool selected)? Can you attach a sample file - telling me which nodes from the objects you want to align - so we can give you more precise answer/indications? Thanks.

5 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Mustafa Kadhem,
It should also snap to smooth nodes. Do you have both objects selected and Snap to selected objects and Snap all when dragging both enabled in the context toolbar (with Node Tool selected)? Can you attach a sample file - telling me which nodes from the objects you want to align - so we can give you more precise answer/indications? Thanks.

Thank you
Now it works. The problem I had is that I haven't selected the both objects.
I saw that snapping to sharp nodes was working without selecting both objects, so I assumed it'd snap to smooth nodes, too. :30_no_mouth: