You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Deactivate auto select next after deleting object

Since last update, any time I delete any object, Designer automatically selects the next one. It is driving me mad.

It never selects the object I'm gonna use (If I'm going to use anyone), and half time I end adding or doing things to an object I don't want to. Also, sometimes I delete valid objects because they are selected without me noticing. 

Is there any way to deactivate this behavior? I don't want Designer to decide what to do next for me, that is what Microsoft apps does and is horrible. 

EDIT: Just happened. I lost 3 hours of work because I accidentally deleted something that the app selected by itself, and didn't notices until was late. (Was deleting anchor points clik clik clik and after deleting the last one it selected a whole group and deleted it too. As it was out of view I didn't notice it until much later, when file was saved and not enough undos available) To whoever that added autoselect, -1000 point for his/her house.

• Staff

Hi Daniel Gibert :)

This behaviour was changed to match our iPad apps behaviour, following requests for continuity between the two - however I can certainly see why you would not wish to use this feature and how it can cause you to lose work, please accept my sincerest apologies for this.

I've raised this with our developers to see if we can add a checkbox into preferences to allow for the 'legacy' behaviour.

I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Hi Dan

Please, don't apologize. I understand why some people want it, specially on ipad where finger touch is slower and has more time cost than on computer. But in computer it broke all the workflow. In fact, it is affecting even drag intersect, because when you delete something, it selects another thing and you must deselect before drag intersect another thing. 

I'm having more false clicks and more deselect before select issues since the update, and (time maniac as I am) is adding more time to do things due to selection errors. (Maybe i'm a grumpy old man here)

So if this could be a preference setting, it would be gorgeous.

Thanks and kudos to the team. They kan keep their house points ;-)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 1:42 PM, Dan C said:

to match our iPad apps behaviour, following requests for continuity between the two - however I can certainly see why you would not wish to use this feature and how it can cause you to lose work, please accept my sincerest apologies for this.

I've raised this with our developers to see if we can add a checkbox into preferences to allow for the 'legacy' behaviour.

I hope this helps!

I can't speak for the iPad users - but on the desktop I and @VectorVonDoom requested it because we driven insane without it. I would hate not to have it. So a preference setting would be great. Too many settings few understand is perhaps not the way to go UX wise. Perhaps an "Advanced" or "Fine-tuning" tab/section in settings would be best for these kind of tweaks. 

Losing three hours of work is not good. My work is saved (versioned) in a Dropbox folder that is also backed up to a cloud backup service nightly. Play safe. 🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

12 hours ago, Jowday said:

My work is saved (versioned) in a Dropbox folder

Be very careful with this.  Affinity documents have been known to become corrupted when opened/saved directly on "cloud" storage like Dropbox.  The apps don't handle that situation well right now, something I know Serif has commented in the past that they are looking into improving.

The recommendation for now is that when using cloud storage you should copy the Affinity document to local storage (outside of the cloud folder) before opening it, then after saving it copy/move it back.

6 hours ago, fde101 said:

Be very careful with this.  Affinity documents have been known to become corrupted when opened/saved directly on "cloud" storage like Dropbox.  The apps don't handle that situation well right now, something I know Serif has commented in the past that they are looking into improving.

The recommendation for now is that when using cloud storage you should copy the Affinity document to local storage (outside of the cloud folder) before opening it, then after saving it copy/move it back.

Thanks for the heads up - I did notice discussions about this issue. It is absurd to save to a local folder with a shaking hand. Of all things.

So many issues and required workarounds. Feels like a downhill ride. File corruption is the last straw. But who corrupts the files? Affinity or Dropbox?

https://telestreamforum.forumbee.com/t/y7sxta/dropbox-corruption-warning

I worked (and saved) non-stop on several vector-only posters (~60MB) since September 2019 and never experienced the problem so perhaps the file size matters.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

@j.king I can confirm this option is available in the latest beta, you can either download this from the beta section of our forums, or wait for this version to be pushed to retail. I hope this helps :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

3 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I can confirm this option is available in the latest beta

In 1.8.4.665 on Windows? I must be blind ...

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

Apologies, I was unaware that the beta we are using internally has not been released on the forums yet - this change was implemented into Windows right after 1.8.4.655 was uploaded to the forums.

We hope to release the Windows beta with this option shortly :)

• 1 year later...
22 minutes ago, Rogue Rabbit said:

Hello!  can someone mention where it is and what its called? Many Thanks!

Hi. It is in preferences > General

It is the 3rd from the bottom. I have it in Spanish but in English should be something like "Prefer to keep the selection after deletion" or similar. Simply deactivate it.

• 1 year later...
  • Staff

Hi @Method Design,

I can confirm that unfortunately this option doesn't exist on the iPad, as this behaviour was originally implemented on iPad and then ported to desktop, so only desktop has the legacy option to revert the behaviour at this time, my apologies.

I'd recommend posting in the following section of the forums for our devs to see an consider adding this option to iPad in a future update :) 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/122-feedback-for-the-affinity-v2-suite-of-products/