You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher crashes when loading resource manager

Hi there, I hope someone can help. 

I am creating a 24 page picture book in Publisher, and have almost completed it but I am having problems with the linked/embedded resources. Originally I embedded the images, then later converted to linking them as the files are quite large. Every time I open the document the resource manager tells me the resources are missing (I haven't moved them). Today I uninstalled Publisher and re-installed (1.8.3.64) as it crashed everytime I got to the point of the resource manager message. This hasn't helped. Any ideas? 

Many thanks in advance. Sally :)

Ok - so I haven't solved this one yet! Affinity Publisher has crashed several times already this morning which has meant I've needed to repeat the work I have done. Sometimes it is crashing when I save. It also crashes when the resource manager is attempting to update the changes I have made. I have attached a screen shot of the program upon opening the file.

2020-04-27.png

• Staff

Are all of the images/resources you've used in one folder/directory? If so try renaming or moving the folder to another location, then open you file in Publisher. You will still get the message but the app shouldn't be trying to load them. If you can then delete the resources from the file and Save or perhaps save to a new file. Now move the resources folder to where you want to store it on your system, I would advise to store it locally and not on any external or removal drives. Also make sure to copy all the resources you are going to use into this folder first, this means that everything is in the same location. It's now taking the time to go through the file adding the resources again (linking as all stored in same folder) and resaving the file again when done.

If this fails, can you please provide a DL link to the file as I won't have any of the resources used the file should open and let me see if any other issues could exist.

Thank you for responding Lee.

I have renamed the folder, then opened Publisher and the Resource Manager says the files are missing. The screen shot I have attached shows the Resource Manager at this stage. You mention then to delete the resources. This I am not sure of as the resources are now in a renamed folder and obviously I don't want to delete these. The Resource Manager doesn't seem to have a delete function - or am I just not seeing it?

The file is actually multiple files as there are a lot of images and each image is saved in a folder of that animal - i.e. Tiger images are saved in a folder titled Tiger, and this folder is within a Parent folder- thus with all the animal images etc.

The files are on my system, not a removeable drive.

Sorry to be a pain, but please can you clarify the suggestion to delete the resources? In the meantime, I shall make a new folder for all of my resources in preparation to linking to them.

2020-04-29 (1).png

• 10 months later...

Just wanted to mention, that I had the same issue with current version 1.9.1.979:

• Publisher tells me, that all linked PDFs are missing (sporadically)
  • When starting resource manager, Publisher crashes (always)
  • Relocating "missing" PDFs fails: Publisher tells me it cannot find the file (always)
  • When I try to export the document, Publisher crashes (always)
  • When I try to save my document, I get the message that the connection to the file got lost. All unsaved edits are lost (sporadically)

I then tried what Lee D suggested: I renamed the folder where my PDFs are stored, relocated the first PDF when asked to (all the others are then relocated automatically) and I can use my document again! I haven't done deep testing so far, but at least I can export my document to PDF and I can use resource manager again without crash 🙂

Maybe I "overloaded" Publisher - My document contains over 300 PDFs (small drawings with 34 by 32 mm). I guess that this could be triggering the problem.

Greetings

max1josef

PS: maybe now one can understand better why this is so annyoing for me - getting a false warning for each of my 300 linked PDFs.