You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text processed as image when effect gradient is applied

rumo

Dear Affinity staff,

maybe its a but, but when I apply a gradient effect overlay to text, the text is then rendered as pixels, not as a vector (like it should be). It is clearly visible in a low-res PDF export and still visible in print-res when zoomed in. See file attached (left: single color, right: gradient). I’m aware that the gradient tool would be the tool to go for in this case—but why is the effect causing the text to be rendered as pixels?

Best,
Johannes

Bildschirmfoto2020-04-22um10_54_37.JPG.2ad9a6c9227eea6229c3f7ae04fa2cf7.jpeg

I already thought myself that I made a mistake for sure. Which was the case. I applied the gradient through the effects register not with the gradient tool itself. Thank you for pointing me out, I apologize for that. I tried it and it works like a charm (much better then in InDesign). I changed the initial post respectively.

But still, the effects register’s gradient overlay causes the text to be rendered as pixels (see attachment). And I am not sure why this has to be.

Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-24 um 12.34.48.JPG

40 minutes ago, MEB said:

All Layer effects are rasterised on export. They are not processed as independent entities themselves,

While an export with the "PDF (for export)" preset appears to maintain unrasterized text with a shadow effect:

1569172193_textshadow_1.7forexport.thumb.jpg.f69b762d35eac51bb2829921576d8540.jpg

... whereas unexpectedly an export setting with "Rasterize: None" + "Allow advanced features" appears to ignore the shadow on export entirely:

1040667868_textshadow_1.7rastnoneadvancedfeat.jpg.1456a24282f65e228d7d2f22d6808817.jpg

Doesn't that mean there is somewhere a bug?
(not in the topics gradient but in the mentioned effect exports)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi rumo,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
All Layer effects are rasterised on export. They are not processed as independent entities themselves, so both he object and the effects are processed as a single raster object.

Hello! Okay, now that’s good to know.

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

While an export with the "PDF (for export)" preset appears to maintain unrasterized text with a shadow effect:

... whereas unexpectedly an export setting with "Rasterize: None" + "Allow advanced features" appears to ignore the shadow on export entirely:

Doesn't that mean there is somewhere a bug?
(not in the topics gradient but in the mentioned effect exports)

Thanks for your effort @thomaso. But when layer effects are rasterised by default this export setting is working properly as Indesign does the same here when you deactivate rasterization.

• Staff

All Layer effects are rasterised on export except outer shadow and outer glow (depending on the preset/setting), should have been more clear sorry. Anyway in @rumo's case (gradient overlay) it is rasterised on export unless you set it to rasterise nothing - in that case only the text without the gradient will be exported.