You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Crashes when using pen tool

I have encountered an issue in both Affinity Photo and Designer.  Whenever I am using the pen tool to create shapes or masks etc. If I'm doing an object that has many points, the app crashes.  There is no warning. The app does not grey out, nor does the dragbar say "not responding". I do not get a crash report form. I just disappears as if i had clicked the X button.  I have had these apps for over a year and have been through several updates and am currently running v1.8.3.641

My system info:
OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Home Version    10.0.18362 Build 18362
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    AMD A10-7700K APU with Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics, 3800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    American Megatrends Inc. P2.10, 1/17/2014    
SMBIOS Version    2.7    
Embedded Controller Version    255.255    
BIOS Mode    Legacy    
BaseBoard Manufacturer    ASRock    
BaseBoard Product    FM2A88X-ITX+    

I'd sure love to get this sorted so i can get back to work

Thanks
Al

PS would increasing the RAM usage setting under Preferences>Performance help? It came default at 8192M.

• Staff

If it's from Nov it won't be related to this crash. Interesting you don't have other crash reports there. Any chance you can try and replicate it during a screen recording?

Without a crash report or some steps, it's really hard for us to see what's wrong.

Ok got the Xbox screen recording thing to work. So far I haven't been able to recreate the issue while recording. It may take me a little doin go get it to happen because it seems to be totally random.  One thing that did happen was I got pretty far into a trace, placed a vector wrong & hit Ctrl Z to go back 1 step & it wiped out the entire curve. Had to start all over.  I''l g'head & try to show it to you, if the file attachment isnt too large,

That makes sense now that you mentioned it.  It was sort of an aside anyways.  I'll have to hope I can capture a recording of it doing the other thing.  Unfortunately it seems to strike at random, so I'll have to work with the screen recording on & hope I can catch it. When I do, I'll post it in this thread.

There's no hotkey that kills just the app is there?

• 9 months later...

I just installed the latest update from today 25.02.2021 - but now it's getting a lot worse.

Now Affinty Photo crashes immediately after open and try to make 3 clicks with the pen tool :(

>>>> EDIT:

Now I found out the reason: It was the hardware accelaration that caused these crashes all the time.