You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Symbols - Objects moving randomly Bug

Hi guys! First of all, I'm a fan of Affinity, thank you for the updates in this new version, it's great!

My only problem with Affinity Designer is a really old one. Let me explain the scenario: - I just love using symbols for making seamless patterns because I can have a live preview of the repeat as I move things around inside a rectangle that is transformed into a symbol. The only (and awful) problem is that when working with pixel layers, the symbol gets really buggy, like when I'm moving an object around, other object gets randomly out of place, sometimes the object disappears and I have to look at it in the layers panel. Other thing that happens is when I try to add another artboard, my elements inside of a symbol from the previous artboard get randomly out of place as well. When my motifs are vector objects it gets less buggy, but still occurs the randomly stuff with the objects. For the record, I do not use the Duplicate command, just plain Copy and Paste, otherwise it gets worse.

Please take a look at that, AD is my sweetheart for seamless patterns, no other software is capable of live preview like Affinity.

Thank you!

Suzy Lavor

12_paint_flowers_seaml_file.afdesign

• Staff

Hi suzylavor,

Thanks for letting us know - we're aware of an issue that is preventing pixel layers from working correctly with Symbols, but that refers specfically to other symbols not showing the new pixel content, rather than objects randomly moving out of place.

Are you able to get a video recording that shows the issues you're getting?

Hi Sean! I recorded two videos: 

1- Shows the bug when adding a new artboard;

2- Shows the pixel layers randomly moving around.

AD has this bug in iPad Pro version too. I had plans for making a skillshare class about this repeat pattern process with AD in iPad, but due to this bug I can't make it yet :( 

I really appreciate you effort for developing this great app, and hope the developers find the solution for this issue. 

Thank you,

Suzy Lavor

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi guys! Sorry to bother again....any news regarding this issue? This is driving me insane, I swear to you 😂 

AD has spoiled me with live preview of the pattern, and I can't go back to any other software for making seamless patterns because AD's workflow is the best, and I'm totally used to it, but this issue slows me down for days 😭😭 It makes me spend a lot of hours just correcting the random stuff...closing and opening the file constantly...trying workarounds but none seems to work. I know you guys have a huge list of tasks to do (I was a programmer before and I know how super hard it is), but please, do not forget this issue 🙏. There's a huge niche of people out there that needs AD's awesome capabilities of speeding up the process of making seamless patterns, (there is no software that handles pixel, vector and symbols like AD does) but this issue really is a drawback. 

• 2 months later...

I would like to say that I am I the same position as Suzylavor with pixels icons and using symbols. It too is driving me crazy and I’ve had to abandoned using pixel icons to a great degree in my repeat pattern work. I’m hoping this is temporary and a fix is made soon please. I am well into the work flow of using both Designer and Photo and being asked to teach it so I’d really love to be able to do that without having to leave out patterns with pixel icons. I know these files must get very complex and huge using pixels so of course the other chestnut that would help here is the introduction of an image trace to speed up converting into vector drawings. I myself will crack open a champagne when you announce that addition!

• 1 year later...