You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Selection tolerance not working

I'm evidently missing something - why does the flood select on this image only select the area shown in the attached image,  even if I change the tolerance right up to 99%,  then jumps to the whole image at 100%.  It was working how I would expect on an image yesterday;  but this one just ignores any tolerance.

Also;  I'm evaluating this against Paintshop Pro and there the selection tolerance allows you to match against opacity, brightness, RGB colour and more.  What does Affinity match against?  And is it possible to select it (I'd rather work against opacity for some things)

Annotation 2020-04-22 155045.png

Colouring - Test.afphoto

You have a lot of semitransparent pixels in there and the flood select is ignoring those (in this instance). Here is an increased contrast portion of the image.

76559405_ScreenShot2020-04-22at2_30_06PM.png.7e59e9683fb1eebb69c775d1af1b6d28.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I understand that  - but surely the idea of a tolerance is to allow it to work with those differences?  The tolerance setting has no effect right up to 99% - which seem rather pointless!  😕

This works just fine in PSP.

Edited by DuncanL

Add a temporary Fill Layer (Layer > New Fill Layer)

Colour it white and drag to bottom

In the Flood Select Tool's context toolbar in the Source: drop down box change it to All Layers.

Keep Contiguous selected then make your selection on the original layer - drag tolerance as required

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks - that works but is hardly intuitive or quick!  I like the drag tolerance feature - it's great when it works,  but this just breaks it.

So to go back to my original question,  what does the tolerance key off?  Based on that workaround,  I'm guessing RGB colour as displayed (so any transparency messes that up).  This seems like a bug;  or at least a big usability failing?

1 hour ago, DuncanL said:

This seems like a bug;  or at least a big usability failing?

I don't think it's a bug.

I think the Flood Select Tool is currently designed to work properly with just colour values.

In the future they may add opacity, hues & brightness to the choice of things the tolerance setting would respond to, just like PSP gives you the choice

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 years later...

Wake up Affinity, solve the bugs!

I suffer from the same problem, its 2022 and the bug is not resolved yet, last year i have bought the app two times, i am thinking of going back to Photoshop. Such a pitty!

20 hours ago, JSneek said:

Wake up Affinity, solve the bugs!

I suffer from the same problem, its 2022 and the bug is not resolved yet, last year i have bought the app two times, i am thinking of going back to Photoshop. Such a pitty!

Welcome to the forums,

As Carl123 posted, it's not a bug, as being referenced in this thread. The Flood Select Tool works off the colors. Opacity, Hues, ect, are Features that are not part of the tool. Serif may or may not add them in the future.

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/pages/Tools/tools_floodSelect.html

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD