You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Question on a couple of things

So far I'm loving this program, and I'm sooo close to purchasing it. 

I do have a couple of questions however.

Is there a way to free rotate the canvas? Think of it as like rotating a piece of paper as you're drawing.

Another thing is, I often open up multiple files at a time, all named in a way that would put them in order above the canvas. Which helps me greatly as I need them to be in order. This works in photoshop, for some reason it doesn't in affinity. Is there a way to set this? And I know I can just drag them in order, buts its sorta a pain to do this over and over. ><

1 hour ago, mallen said:

Is there a way to free rotate the canvas? Think of it as like rotating a piece of paper as you're drawing.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I think you can do that, but only if you're using a Mac with a trackpad. I'll have to leave details to a Mac user, though.

1 hour ago, mallen said:

Another thing is, I often open up multiple files at a time, all named in a way that would put them in order above the canvas. Which helps me greatly as I need them to be in order. This works in photoshop, for some reason it doesn't in affinity. Is there a way to set this? And I know I can just drag them in order, buts its sorta a pain to do this over and over. ><

Unfortunately, no. I'm sure this has been requested, and Serif knows we would like the programs to operate that way. But at this point when you open multiple files at once they all start opening simultaneously, and the UI is populated in whatever order the files finish processing, which is (for all intents and purposes) random.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi mallen,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Use two fingers on the trackpad to rotate the document freely. If it doesn't work make sure Enable rotation witch trackpad is ticked in Affinity Preferences, Tools section. To reset the rotation go to menu View > Reset Rotation.

So the closest the I can find is "Enable Dial support". I was able to rotate the canvas however by using two fingers and rotating on the tablet after enabling touch. However this is kind of a work flow hurdle for me.

It just isnt that fluid. Also it rotates per 90 degrees. I'm sure you're tired of hearing this but, in photoshop, I was able to activate a free rotate function and easily rotate the canvas using my pen. Nothing like this perhaps? :) or maybe soon?

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I think you can do that, but only if you're using a Mac with a trackpad. I'll have to leave details to a Mac user, though.

Unfortunately, no. I'm sure this has been requested, and Serif knows we would like the programs to operate that way. But at this point when you open multiple files at once they all start opening simultaneously, and the UI is populated in whatever order the files finish processing, which is (for all intents and purposes) random.

Ah ok, Well, I'm sure they'll get it in soon then. So far however, this program is an easy transition from photoshop, plus I've found many improvements. and its not a money sink! 

8 hours ago, mallen said:

Well, I'm sure they'll get it in soon then.

Probably not. People have been asking for awhile. If you look in the Feature Requests section of the forum you may find some requests you could concur with. Or you could post your own.

But to clarify my earlier answer, there is no way to "free rotate" the canvas, but View > Rotate will let you rotate it in 15 degree increments.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1