You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I apply a non destructive blur to a layer mask?

Hi

I am trying to add a gaussian blur to the mask. But I can only add the destructive version from the filter menu.  When I try to add from the icon at the bottom of the layers its applying to all the layers.  I dont understand it all all. I have seen some old posts that say drag the mask and nest it under the mask but that dosent do it for me as well.

Thanks

I'm not sure, if this is what you want, but if you drag the mask under the gaussian blur filter it works like on the screenshot below: the workflow is a little bit tricky. First I applied the filter then the mask. Now I brought all layers among themselves, then I nested the mask under the filter and then I nested both (Filter + mask) under the 1st layer. Maybe some has a better solution.

Screenshot 2020-04-22 14.13.26.jpg

Nikon D7500 - Win 10 - Mac - Affinity Photo/Publisher (Betas if available)

7 hours ago, dubtronics said:

I am trying to add a gaussian blur to the mask. But I can only add the destructive version from the filter menu.  When I try to add from the icon at the bottom of the layers its applying to all the layers.  I dont understand it all all. I have seen some old posts that say drag the mask and nest it under the mask but that dosent do it for me as well.

Blurring a mask with a Gaussian Blur live filter is a bit clunky for a few reasons.

1) The mask needs to be added as a nested clipping layer (horizontal blue bar) – rather than a mask layer (vertical blue bar) – which means you may need to un-nest the mask and then re-add it as a nested clipping layer (horizontal blue bar) instead.

2) Even then, when you add the Gaussian Blur live filter to it, it will also add blur to the edge of the canvas – meaning the edge of the canvas will also bleed through.  To avoid that, you're probably better off going to [Layer > New Empty Mask Layer] which will create a black mask, then make your selection, and then filling the mask selection with white.

3) When using a Gaussian Blur live filter, if you press ALT (or Option) and click on the mask layer thumbnail, the black and white mask preview doesn't show the effects of the Gaussian Blur live filter like it does when you apply a destructive Gaussian Blur directly to the mask.  Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about that.

Video:

On 4/22/2020 at 6:50 AM, dubtronics said:

yeah i saw a similar thing, but i can seem to be able to nest the mask under the blur or vice versa. I can only do that.

image.png.f813cfd22f66259dffc5cbb59f758091.png

@dubtronics

I just created a handy Layers Guide to help navigate some of the eccentricities of Layers and Masks.

I posted it in the Tutorial Forum here:

Hopefully it can help you attain mastery of wrangling layers.