You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a way to disable the white border around the canvas/document?

Hi everyone!!

When you cover the canvas/document with say a photo or colour, there is  a white border/edge around the document. Though it doesn't appear when you export the work, I find it intrusive and it bothers me so see it there. However, when you rotate the whole canvas/document say 90 degrees and make sure the canvas intersects the panels past the rulers the white border disappears (see attached images). Is there any way to make this disappearance permanent? Any way to disable this white border (as sheen on the second photo below)?

Thanks.

BORDER.png

NO BORDER.png

• 2 weeks later...

I too find this annoying and distracting. It appears as if things aren't lined up correctly. I believe it's the bleed outline. If you have bleed set to none It shouldn't be there in my opinion. You can turn it off by clipping to canvas '\' key, or move it out of the way by adding bleed. However I like to see my paste board as its very useful and not have the outline when bleed set to zero but it seems you can't do this, unless I'm missing something.

On 4/30/2020 at 3:28 PM, Nazario said:

I too find this annoying and distracting. It appears as if things aren't lined up correctly. I believe it's the bleed outline. If you have bleed set to none It shouldn't be there in my opinion. You can turn it off by clipping to canvas '\' key, or move it out of the way by adding bleed. However I like to see my paste board as its very useful and not have the outline when bleed set to zero but it seems you can't do this, unless I'm missing something.

Thank you for responding.

What you say is true if you are working in Affinity Designer but not Publisher. I should have stated this before. My mistake. I don't seem to solve this problem in Affinity Publisher which is my main software. Wondering if you have any suggestions.

Thanks.

Ah. In publisher it's used to show the page edges when using facing pages. As I said though I still find it irritating and would like it to only appear when using facing pages and only where the pages meet. Theres no need for it on the outer edges.

I guess however the argument is its not covering/masking anything unless you are working close to the edge, which if you're working right on the edge then you should be using bleed anyway, so the line doesn't particularly impact anything if that makes sense. Think this is more a personal preference thing more than anything else. I like clean edges and minimal interference.

I've found if something sits too close to the edge of the page it can cause 'unease' in the viewer and cause distraction. This is especially true with type. I struggle to look at the second attachment.

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 11.22.57.png

Screenshot 2020-05-04 at 11.22.572.jpg

• Staff

Hi Robert Laskey, Nazario,
That's not the bleed line but the pages/canvas edges. If you set a bleed value those lines will still be there (both in Designer or Publisher) so you know where are the page limits. There's currently no way to turn it off although a few users already mentioned/requested an option to turn it off.

On 5/4/2020 at 3:57 PM, MEB said:

Hi Robert Laskey, Nazario,
That's not the bleed line but the pages/canvas edges. If you set a bleed value those lines will still be there (both in Designer or Publisher) so you know where are the page limits. There's currently no way to turn it off although a few users already mentioned/requested an option to turn it off.

Thank you for responding.

I don't the need for those lines. The difference in color between the pasteboard and the canvas is enough to show the page limits. Lines are unnecessary distraction. If the Devs are reading this, please remove it. We just need the line between facing pages. I don't see the lines around Designer's canvas why should I have them in Publisher? Or at least add the option to toggle them on and off. Just look at how Designer's canvas looks clean when you scale the graphics/images beyond canvas boundary. Just clean!!

• 11 months later...

I have a question.. If what I attached is what we are talking about here, why do I get it now on every canvas but I didn't until today?

If I open a canvas created yesterday I dont get it either. But ifI create a new one, I get the frame line.

Im afraid I have touched something with a clumsy move probably and now I can't get rid of the line which honestly... I don't need.

Thanks!

Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 14.27.27.png

Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 14.27.22.png

3 hours ago, IsabelAracama said:

If I open a canvas created yesterday I dont get it either. But ifI create a new one, I get the frame line.

Are you certain you have a Bleed setting for the first screenshot? File > Document Setup, Bleed tab.

Post Script: I am a fan of your tutorials.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks Bruce.. no bleed nothing. I had checked that even if the previous posts Miguel said itis not a bleed but a margin for the canvas. The thing is I had never had it until today. And as said, the only way to avoid it is reusing a file created before today. Ridiculous, isnt' it?

See both attachments.. the one with the bleed dialog is what i get from today. The otheris my normal canvas as it was always. I dont want that line, dont need it. Dont even like it hhh

Thanks very much!!

Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 17.53.16.png

Screenshot 2021-04-28 at 17.55.14.png

• Staff

Hi @IsabelAracama,
I believe you have Clip to canvas enabled in the second document and that's the set up you usually use. If you draw a rectangle in the second document similar to what you did in the first one does it display outside the canvas area?
If so, go to menu View > View Mode and tick Clip to Canvas in the first document to have a similar setup as the second one.

• 6 months later...
2 hours ago, Obsidian said:

Hello everyone, 

I come across the same issue - drives me mad as I constantly think something is not right with my design. I hope this will get fixed in future updates. Thanks :)

There's no bug. Read the previous comments so you know how to avoid it. Cheers.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I think this is a render artefact ... and clearly a bug. It only appears on certain zoom levels - at least on my Windows 11 laptop with a RTX3060 card.

I made a screen capture:

^^ this is how it looks on my laptop (the white lines are a bit hard to see in the capture because of compression blurring - but they are clearly there - 1px width, white...

Annoyance factor 9000 :D ! I really love to work with Designer2 - its such great software, much better than Illustrator (imho)! And then this annoying thing... :/

Come oooon.... Please, fix this! :) :) :)