You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher won't let me make a PDF "linked" instead of embedded

When i place a PDF into my Publisher document, it comes in as an "embedded document".

I'd like to make it linked instead, so that when I update the original file, it updates within the publisher file too.

I go to the resource browser but the "Make Linked" button for that resource is greyed out ... why is this?

(When I try the same for an imported JPG image it seems to work fine)

I have no trouble Placing a PDF as a Linked document. But you're right that if your Publisher document is set up to prefer Embedded, you cannot use the Resource Manage to "Make Linked".

image.png.8fbb8cf5ccfbeb2fe8ad66dacb6850bd.png

However, you will not have an Edit Document button on the Context Toolbar when you have the Move Tool selected. And you will not be able edit it by double-clicking on it. (As happens with several other kinds of linked document (not image) files.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

That's correct.

However, you can use Replace Document from the Move Tool's Context Toolbar to replace them with themselves, and make them linked using the radio button in the dialog.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I have Publisher set to prefer linked. Though the current way Publisher handles PDF's I still would not use it as it still tries to make the PDF editable in Publisher and does not see embedded fonts which creates a world of headaches and issues. When I had first seen the option to prefer linked I was hopefully that this would resolve font issue with PDF placed in Publisher, unfortunately it does not. 

I would be very careful with placed PDF's in Publisher, linked or embedded. If you have to use it make sure you compare the PDF from a PDF viewer to what you see in Publisher to make sure nothing has changed.