You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shutdown + New Camera + Affinity = FUN!

Smee Again

When I showed up at work on April 6, 2020 I was informed that I had been laid off because of fears over the Corona virus pandemic. Well, that just gave me back about 11 hours of daylight to use until work cranks back up (or I decide to go ahead and opt for early retirement). So I went home, ready to file for unemployment.

When I got home, got a call. A local business saw this as a good time to invest in a new website, and I was his choice. It would require lots of coding, pulling out some of the few strands of hair I have left, and photography. So I grabbed my Nikon and struck out to capture the images I would need. However,  my old Nikon just didn't have the quality I needed for my web design shots. It showed when I got home and started editing the images.

I had already been looking at purchasing a used DSLR camera, but I hate to buy something someone else has already abused. So, figured I would kill two birds with one stone. I still kept the budget small (around $300.00 US) but made the jump, making the purchase with the income the customer paid down for me to start production.

Then I realized that, since I would be using the new camera for photos for web design, I would need (clears throat) to "practice" with the new camera in order to get proficient when operating it. This would also give me an opportunity to hone my editing skills because we all know that no matter how good an image is you will need to do some kind of tweeking before you can use it.

So, I guess it was a good investment. I know my images are working better. With less time spent trying to bring out detail from poorly recorded images, I'm able to spend a bit more time trying to be artistic with my editing.

Be safe, be well . . . make pictures.

IMG_2146_2400.jpg

strawberry1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Canon T7. Not fancy, just a simple DSLR. It replaced a worn out old Canon EOS I got second hand from my brother after he wore it out. It had no autofocus and the diopter was not quite right so focus was hit and miss at best (mostly miss) and only 5 megapixels.

Tried one of those Nikon point and shoots that looks like a mirrorless DSLR, but wasn't real happy with it. It also had a focus problem, focusing just beyond the object it was supposed to be focusing on. Learned how to compensate by focusing on something slightly closer than the subject then shooting. Weird thing is, the more I shoot it the worst the JPG aspecting gets.

The last straw with the L340 (which resulted in purchasing this new camera) was when I went on a shoot for a web client and some of the images were unusable because all shadows were a weird dark brown almost like tree bark. Even what should have been very soft shadows. Not a bit problem when shooting "things" but shooting images of people - and particularly the ladies in the office - it doesn't make the client happy.

Fortunately, the job actually  paid for the camera. I purchased the body only from 6th Avenue through newegg (https://www.newegg.com/p/0UP-000F-00X48?Item=9SIABMTB3N9866) for under $300.00. Already had an EFS lens on my old Canon that was compatible. Probably going to purchase a longer lens and macro lens with the closing payment on this website next week so you guys may have to endure lots more of my images.