You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi DigiBee,

This is not a bug - holding Alt when you initiate the drag operation will duplicate the object. Holding alt whilst moving the object around (do it after you start moving the object) will allow you to toggle the snapping.

Ok. I thought alt was just to ignore the snapping, as the infoline at the bottom also states.

Would't it make more sense to use ctrl+alt+drag to copy without snapping?

Photo / Designer / Publisher / Win7 / Wacom Bamboo Pen (CTL-470)

• 1 year later...
On 4/21/2020 at 1:37 PM, Sean P said:

This is not a bug - holding Alt when you initiate the drag operation will duplicate the object. Holding alt whilst moving the object around (do it after you start moving the object) will allow you to toggle the snapping.

While I understand this functionality for me it'd be much more useful to use alt key before and after start dragging. This way I can select an object, start dragging and then decide if I want to clone it or not. With the actual way I need to decide it before dragging. Not a huge issue, but an optimized micro functionality that I use many times. (Coming from Illustrator here).

Mac mini M1 / macOS Ventura / 8 GB ram / Wacom Intus pen & touch / Affinity suite v1 & v2

With Mac we can use the Command key to duplicate or move depending on when we release the Command key. After mouse up means a copy is made. Before mouse up means move only.

Plus the same functionality as the Alt key is achieved with the Option key.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

On 11/17/2021 at 8:58 PM, Old Bruce said:

With Mac we can use the Command key to duplicate or move depending on when we release the Command key. After mouse up means a copy is made. Before mouse up means move only.

I didn't know this... 😅

Need to learn new habits.

Mac mini M1 / macOS Ventura / 8 GB ram / Wacom Intus pen & touch / Affinity suite v1 & v2