You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File > Duplicate option

Would be useful if there was an option from the File menu to Duplicate the current file. On a Mac applications including Preview, Pages & Numbers all offer a File > Duplicate option. This saves the need to drop into Finder and create a Duplicate that way.

This option would be great in all apps - Designer, Photo and Publisher

29 minutes ago, WoodChip said:

Would be useful if there was an option from the File menu to Duplicate the current file. On a Mac applications including Preview, Pages & Numbers all offer a File > Duplicate option. This saves the need to drop into Finder and create a Duplicate that way.

As soon as you save the file under a new filename you have a duplicate. It's called 'Save as...'. There is no need of such a function. In contrary: if you duplicate the file you have to save it afterwards under a new filename. This would be even one step more.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

I do recall seeing a procedure here for sharpening an image that asked for two copies of the file to be loaded. You applied different actions to each before combining them. The procedure worked well and I did wonder at the time whether it would be possible to work with just a single file, but I never got round to it. There was never the need to save both.

I cannot think of any other reason to load two copies of the same file.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

3 hours ago, John Rostron said:

I cannot think of any other reason to load two copies of the same file.

Hi @John Rostron,

I could imagine someone wants to create a couple of variations of a certain design. Of course there are snapshots or multiple artboards to use them in the same way. 

I also do this to keep a history of development steps in case I need to go back and look at what I did 😉
In that case I just save the file under with a new name, e.g. with a counter at the end of the name. That makes it easy to keep versions seperate.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, gunda said:

without needing to save and reopen them

Just do SaveAs - and you can work on a new copy of your working document.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I'm a new member here - this is just my fourth post - so I wanted to reassure other forum members that I do read previous replies before I post to support a FR.  I did read the previous reply suggesting save and reopen as a workaround, and the fact that I still posted should be taken as indicating that while that workaround works, it's not an efficient workflow for some people, and so my support for the FR stands.

Bear in mind

You also have the New Document from Snapshot option which lets you duplicate a document without actually saving it to disk.

Useful for temporary comparison purposes or experimentation on a copy of your document

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

21 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Bear in mind

You also have the New Document from Snapshot option which lets you duplicate a document without actually saving it to disk.

Useful for temporary comparison purposes or experimentation on a copy of your document

Thank you, that''s helpful.