You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Halos when exporting, again

This may be connected to the other bug I added regarding masks.

I have a file that when exporting unmerged, gives errors where layers overlap, when it's flattened no such errors happen.

Multiple layers exported (400% zoom):

image.png.e420726d00632bbe22d3b2e3a4539870.png

Group pixel layers, disable other layers, merge visible, enable other layers, export (400% zoom):

image.png.88c050126f05197109e68abaf36f41e9.png

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

9 hours ago, TEcHNOpls said:

I think this is existing for the last 1,5 years already, hopefully it'll be fixed before next release.

I don't think your example is of the recently (1.8.x) introduced problem with Merge Selected command that Chris mentions, where the result is affected by the order of selection of the layers being merged.

Unsightly artefacts can suddenly appear when exporting a layered document at reduced scale;  that's a consequence of how each raster layer is first scaled by resampling and then the resulting layers are composited. The resampling of a given layer can introduce artefacts in that layer, and then blend modes, live filters and adjustments can intensify the visibility of these artefacts, and then the mess is composited and sent to a file. As you've discovered for yourself, best practice with raster artwork is to pre-flatten when exporting with scaling. Obviously, you can keep the layered document for future editing; just don't directly export it unless the export is at 100% scale.

If you're not scaling when exporting, I'd be interested in examining a problem document that you are happy to make available.

Edited by anon2

If this is the case, then it's a very bad way of exporting indeed. With so many layers getting rescaled first all sorts of artifacts can appear. I was under the impression it's merge then scale, which seems the only logical way to do it.

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

37 minutes ago, TEcHNOpls said:

If this is the case

It's definitely the case. 

then it's a very bad way of exporting indeed. With so many layers getting rescaled first all sorts of artifacts can appear. 

Yes.

I was under the impression it's merge then scale, which seems the only logical way to do it.

It's easy to create tests which prove that the app scales then flattens.

Anyway, now that you know what is happening, you can choose to flatten then scale.

• 4 months later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.