You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer freezes after using about 20 min

😑 When I run Designer For the first time lt works fine. After working for 15-20 min, it starts to lag. Everything becomes slower & perform slowly. Like, selecting any object or layer lags for 1 sec. I'm on version 1.8.3. In the previous version (1.8.2) I didn’t face this problem. There is no specific file that I can attach. It is same for every file, mainly for larger sized file. I tried resetting the software holding ctrl key while launching the software, but it does nothing. My windows is up to date. My laptop config ( i5 6th gen, 8gb ram, 250gb ssd ) is fairly well too.

My graphics driver is updated one, I checked it a while ago. I use other software like figma, adobe xd, lunacy, Inkscape, VS code and much more. Everything works fine. Even version 1.8.2 worked fine for me.

I talked with someone using 1.8.3 on mac without any issue. Is this problem related to windows OS?

• Staff

Hi Asfak,

There is no 1.8.3 version of that video attached - so I cannot compare the behaviour shown. However I'm not seeing any of this slowdown on my Windows 10 machine that you're getting.

Could you try going to %AppData%\Affinity\Designer\ and renaming the '1.0' folder to '1.0 (Old)' and then try using 1.8.3 with the default layout without making any customization.

• Staff
7 minutes ago, Asfak Mahmud said:

Ok, I'll try that. By the way, does is have any impact on the performance of the software if I don’t keep my windows up to date ( sometimes latest build of windows causes problem)?

There shouldn't be as far as I'm aware to any major extent - but I guess that really depends on whats included in the Windows update. Some updates mean that we can't support a lower version (such is the case that we only support Windows 10 Anniversary edition and above).