You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to rotate the artboard with grids?

• Staff

Hi Pashan,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Illustrator treats grids as objects. Affinity apps do not. Currently it's no possible to do this unless you create all the lines manually (you can use Power Duplicate to speed up the process), then group, rotate and lock them. Illustrator has more than two decades of development and a much more larger team, Affinity Designer has six years - some tools are still missing/being developed.

There’s a little ‘trick’ that I found which you can use to quickly create a grid.
The ‘trick’ part is to duplicate the first line and move that duplicate to the other side of the area, then duplicate the pair. If you duplicate the lines all in the same place before trying to distribute them they will all stay in the same place, unless you use manual spacing.
See my attached video.
As MEB said above, this grid doesn’t work the same way as in Illustrator but it’s a start.

1 hour ago, Pashan said:

I think illustrator has tools more than affinity designer.

I think illustrator costs more money than affinity designer.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

4 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Pashan,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Illustrator treats grids as objects. Affinity apps do not. Currently it's no possible to do this unless you create all the lines manually (you can use Power Duplicate to speed up the process), then group, rotate and lock them. Illustrator has more than two decades of development and a much more larger team, Affinity Designer has six years - some tools are still missing/being developed.

Thank you very much for the help. I also thought of about drawing manually. It's wasting a lot of time. I think I have to do it in manually =\

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

There’s a little ‘trick’ that I found which you can use to quickly create a grid.
The ‘trick’ part is to duplicate the first line and move that duplicate to the other side of the area, then duplicate the pair. If you duplicate the lines all in the same place before trying to distribute them they will all stay in the same place, unless you use manual spacing.
See my attached video.
As MEB said above, this grid doesn’t work the same way as in Illustrator but it’s a start.

Thank you very much for the video. I thought of same thing, draw manually. Thank you again, show with easy ways 😃

4 hours ago, GarryP said:

See my attached video.

When you are rasterlizing the layer how hide the grid finally? 

There could be lots of ways to remove the grid but, in this specific case, with a black grid and blue-filled rectangles, one easy option would be to add a Selective Colour Adjustment, select the “Blacks” Colour and then slide the Black slider to -100%. In this case you can also select the “Neutrals” Colour and slide the Black slider down to -100% to (almost) remove a slight outline on the rectangles but that will lighten the blue a little so you might want to start with a darker blue. You can always go over the rectangles with another Flood Fill if necessary. Rasterising the layer after making these modifications may also yield a better result.
I feel sure that there will be other ways.

Annotation 2020-04-21 082641.png