You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot save designer files - Help!

This is now serious. I am unable to save designer files at all. I choose save or save as as cannot change the path or file name it just hangs. Photo saves just fine. This make it impossible to use designer. I  have rebooted and its the same, as soon as I either ckick the save button or try to name the file it hangs and I have to crash out of Designer. I can export ok. Help please?

@Patrick Bell  It isn’t a permanent solution, but when you are ready to save a Designer file, could you try Edit In Photo, and then use Save or Save As.  Since the apps use the same file language this should work.  The only difference would be that your file would then have an .afphoto ending rather than .afdesign.   At that point, you should be able to open the file again in Designer and keep on going.  Have you been able to try this?   

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

@Patrick Bell  I am so glad that it will help you for the interim!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

With a view to perhaps finding the cause;
Which OS are you on?
Which Designer version are you using?
Where are you trying to save too?
Is this happening with one particular file or all files?
Dose it happen with new files with new content?
Have you tried a “Reset” of Designer?
Or indeed a full uninstall of the app and then reinstall? (Though it’s a good idea before doing either of these to make sure you have a backup of the apps User folder which contains stuff like brushes etc… that you have added over time).

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

• Staff

Hi Patrick,

Do you have any automatic cloud backup software running at all? Could you also please try disabling any antivirus you have installed to see if you can then save?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

>With a view to perhaps finding the cause;
>Which OS are you on?
Windows 10

>Which Designer version are you using?
1.8.3 both designer and photo

>Where are you trying to save too?
Not just on saving, its on opening too. And mu usual downloads folder
>Is this happening with one particular file or all files?
No files at all just an empty instance and anything that open the file dialog.  From scratch in Windows Exploere then Open by open with opens the file into either app but Save then isn't possible

>Dose it happen with new files with new content?
See above

Have you tried a “Reset” of Designer?
Or indeed a full uninstall of the app and then reinstall? (Though it’s a good idea before doing either of these to make sure you have a backup of the apps User folder which contains stuff like brushes etc… that you have added over time)
full un and reinstall of photo or designer didn't help.

• 1 year later...

I don't know if anyone else has had this issue again since, but I just experienced it. My theory is that I left the design open over night while an update was installed and as such I was unable to save or export, sending the file to photo, which had not been open at the time worked so i could save and reopen the now updated designer and everything is working now.