You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A window to the past

Slammer

One thing that I like to do is a merge of old pictures into new ones. 
These are from the beautiful Swiss city of Basel. There in the Stadtarchiv you can find digitalized pictures and photographic collections by the oodle.
Then it´s just a case of taking the new picture at the same angle and compensating for the different optical properties of the  different camera´s used, in my case an i-phone in the case of the original photographer something out of a steampunks´ wildest dreams. To emphasize  this I have left the distortion of the original image in the frame.

bahnhof.jpg

flüchtlingeMIX.jpg

kohlenbergMIX.jpg

rheinfähre_web.jpg

schiffländle3.jpg

spalen3.jpg

1 hour ago, TomSmithNaturePhotographer said:

What blend mode did you use?

No blend per-se, just the two pictures as a base, the archive pictures were distorted via warp mesh and the morph done with the eraser and different opacity. There are actually three or four pictures with a copy of the Iphone picture set to grey. 

2 hours ago, Smee Again said:

Great work! I really enjoy doing that type of thing. Almost all of mine have been of sights in New Orleans, LA USA (My home town).

I do mine a little different, but it brings me a lot of satisfaction to also "colorize" the images.

Oooo! Let´s see them.

I think I've posted some of them before. One of my favorites is the old Rail terminal on Canal St called Southern Railway Station that starts off the below thread.

Modern portion is a Google Earth image taken on Canal St. in New Orleans, LA.

The old portion is from about 1908. I checked with persons who were familiar with this building before it was torn down, and they helped me with making sure the color of the facade was correct.

You can click on the link below and it will take you to the thread on this forum.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/96294-back-in-time-what-have-we-thrown-away/&tab=comments#comment-513448