You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I export something made with pixel personal as a vector SVG (No raster)?

So I want to make pixel art and I see the pixel persona being used for that but I don't want it to be raster I'd like to export my pixel art as an SVG (with no raster) so I was wondering if that was possible with something made in pixel persona. If not is there some sort of pixel tool for the normal designer persona? All I saw there was the rectangle tool and that'd be a pain to use for pixel art.

Do you mean you want the shapes to pixel aligned? Turn on Snap to Pixels and have a try. Raster is raster as you are aware so just use the tools in the designer persona, there is the pen, the pencil and the brush, they are all making vectors.

707408145_ScreenShot2020-04-19at2_06_01PM.png.3c62ef6e6e96728c7f5092156cc0c0c2.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Is there a way to get one of those tools in the Designer Persona to act like the Pixel Tool in the Pixel Persona? I want something that fills each individual pixel with ease like the Pixel Tool but I want it to be vector and not raster. I have that snap to pixels setting enabled but I don't see any change.

image.png.75be246f668b8a20e5316afdb5284db6.pngimage.png.bd70fdef2300dfa146581510667714c2.pngimage.png.2ddfc9755381d8104d48d202674dec63.png

Those are my settings, the blob is what I get with pencil and that perfect pixel is what I'm aiming for. The only thing I see to do so is to individually make each pixel super slowly with the rectangle tool but I want something fast and easy to use like the Pixel Tool in the Pixel Persona. Is there any way to make the pencil tool (Or any other vector tool) behave similarly to the Pixel Tool?

I have to ask... What on earth would be the advantage? What you are describing is, to my mind, just weird. Hundreds of individual single pixel sized vector points? Is that really what you want or am I missing something.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

That's exactly what I want! SVGs take up a lot less space than a normal picture file like a PNG and it can be scaled without quality loss and that's exactly what I want. This would work perfectly for me since I'm a game developer because SVGs are more memory efficient and because I won't have to worry about my textures looking bad on different devices. So yes, hundreds of individual single pixel sized vector points is exactly what I'm looking for. Would you know how I could set that up?

Edited by SmushyTaco

12 minutes ago, SmushyTaco said:

So yes, hundreds of individual single pixel sized vector points is exactly what I'm looking for. Would you know how I could set that up?

I have no idea.... and I am not sure that such a vector artwork would be more space efficient in regards to file size. Just try doing some artwork in the Designer person with the pencil and the pen tool is the only advice I feel qualified to give regarding this need of yours. Sorry.

Make a document in Pixels and set the preferences to uncheck the two items Show Lines in points and Show Text in points this will give you pixel sizes for brushes and lines and boxes etc.

32336053_ScreenShot2020-04-19at3_19_10PM.png.988c86209005839578de643e81e43ba3.png

39 minutes ago, SmushyTaco said:

Is there a way to get one of those tools in the Designer Persona to act like the Pixel Tool in the Pixel Persona?

I would say no. I can’t imagine using anything different from the Rectangle Tool would give you a clean enough SVG. And even if you used the rectangle tool to create your “pixel” patterns and shapes, your approach would be rather inefficient as soon as there are adjacent “pixels” of the same colour. 😉

If you really want to follow your idea, I’d rather suggest that you use the pixel persona to create a pixel image and use an external vector tracing app to vectorise it. If the vectoriser fails, enlarge the image by a sufficiently big integer factor, say 10. But there should be also pixel-perfect tracing algorithms.

If you have a limited colour palette – fairly normal for pixel art – you could create a 1×1-pixel rectangle in each colour and then create Assets from those rectangles. Then, when you need a block of pixels of a particular colour, you can just drag a rectangle out from your Assets and resize it as necessary. Not ideal, but better than drawing each rectangle individually.

None of the Affinity applications have any “Raster → Vector” tools.

That would probably take longer than creating something with the pixel tool and going over each pixel with a rectangle because messing with the shape to get it right would be a lot more grunt work. I made a feature request for the specific feature I'm looking for:

So hopefully it gains from traction! If you like the idea of having this in Affinity Designer you should give it a like 😁

Also tracing usually almost always messes up the corners of some squares it just isn't feasible to use which is why this would be the most optimal method of conversion.

Edited by SmushyTaco

I think A_B_C’s process would make the creation process much faster than the one I suggested earlier.
Also, once the art was complete you could manually search for areas where multiple rectangles of the same colour were next to each other, delete the ‘duplicates’, then resize those next to them to further reduce the amount of shapes.
For example, the eyes in A_B_C’s example could be converted to one larger square each, while the bottom of the mouth could be a long rectangle. Doing this for everything in that example could reduce the number of rectangles (including ‘background’) to around 14 in total (unless I’ve miscounted).

IMPORTANT: One thing that needs to be kept in mind if you are doing this sort of thing – using rectangles for pixels – is that not every display will show perfect results at all zoom levels. You may frequently get lines between ‘pixels’ because of the maths used by whatever is displaying the image, whereas with real pixels you won’t.

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

Also, once the art was complete you could manually search for areas where multiple rectangles of the same colour were next to each other, delete the ‘duplicates’, then resize those next to them to further reduce the amount of shapes.

If AD ever implemented the mosaic raster to vector feature shown in the AI video, I think it would be great if it automatically did this. I can't see any downside to it but if there is, it could be an option.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 3 years later...
5 minutes ago, Moniquechichi said:

Help 

I need to have a lot of pixel art converted onto svg 

what’s the best program to do this in bulk ? More than 5k pictures that I need to have converted 

all pics are made in gimp and I need them in svg 

Hello and welcome to the forums, @Moniquechichi

For mass vectorization I can only think of Vector Magic.

https://www.vectormagic.com/desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!