You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Workflow and in-house decisions

I think the biggest issue I'm having with the Affinity Suite is workflow. I've seen a number of reviews and tutes on individual programs but not many of either on how to integrate them into your workflow. The integration between the three apps are their strongest feature at this point, but changing a decades long workflow from distinct programs that work together to what is essentially one program with three (mostly) separate modules is something else. In addition some of the in-house decisions as to what features are present or missing from each app is a source of frustration for me.

Case in point: I'm creating single page document with a pixel image, some text and some vector based graphic elements. I started the graphic in Photo, works great. I love the way it handles text and vector elements. Then I wanted to add a stroke to the text. There's no Stroke panel. I can add an outline color to the text but I can't adjust it's width even though I can make those adjustments to a vector object. So I sent the file to Designer just to adjust the stroke. Yes I know I can add an Outline in the effect panel but I wanted an outline and a stroke. A technique I use a lot. Now I have two programs open just to adjust a stroke. Did I miss something?

I like the update for PSD smart objects in Photo. I mostly use smart objects to add non destructive Topaz effects to an image though. I still can't do that in Photo. So I thought to myself "what if I linked the PSD file in Photo or Designer?" Then I can go back to Photoshop and adjust the effects if necessary without reimporting like they did in the olden days. But no, neither app supports linked files, only embedded or pixel images. So I sent the file to Publisher, linked the file, and opened it back up in Photo. It appears as a link file and now I have three programs open though the technique appears to work. Did I miss something?

I like to make iterations of a layout so I can try different things and still be able to go back to where I was. I like Designer art boards for that. They act like objects that can accept effects, are easily resized and can be sliced and exported for different purposes. The art boards show up as expected in Photo but sending the file to Publisher results in both the boards being on a single page. Hmmn. Something to keep in mind. And let's not even get started on the lack of auto-hyphenation in Designer.

I think I understand Serif's challenges with this suite. This modular software approach is unique, in the graphic design space at least, and they're trying to sell single apps while still keeping incentives to buy the other packages. I believe they could easily cram every feature from each program into one huge and complicated app if they chose to. I don't think anyone would want that. So they're picking and choosing which features to add or subtract from each program. I many times disagree with their choices but understand that they're blazing a new trail. Unfortunately I end up with all three apps open and they all look the same and it can get confusing as to which simple feature is in each app or present in Designer's pixel persona or present in Studio Link when using Publisher. I just had to shut it down and walk away for a moment.

So I'll end where I started with a suggestion to Serif as well as tutorial creators to try and help us better understand a workflow where the apps can work together and for Serif itself to pay close attention to how artists want to work and their suggestions in that regard. 

Sorry for the long post. Peace.

10 hours ago, dcrosby said:

So I sent the file to Designer just to adjust the stroke. Yes I know I can add an Outline in the effect panel but I wanted an outline and a stroke. A technique I use a lot. Now I have two programs open just to adjust a stroke. Did I miss something?

You can add & adjust a stroke in the character panel in APhoto

Also, as regards workflow try starting a project in Publisher and use the Designer & Photo personas as needed. I can now do 90% of my work this way without ever having to fire up Designer or APhoto.

Studiolink is only available in Publisher but it is very powerful and much faster than switching between all 3 apps

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

12 hours ago, dcrosby said:

Case in point: I'm creating single page document with a pixel image, some text and some vector based graphic elements. I started the graphic in Photo

Why don't start in APublisher? If you need vector work - switch to Designer Persona, if you need pixel/foto work - switch to Photo Persona.

Switching applications using "Edit in..." is only necessary for specific cases - Export using Export Persona, editing photos (panorama, stack, liquify, tone ...).

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

7 hours ago, carl123 said:

You can add & adjust a stroke in the character panel in APhoto

Also, as regards workflow try starting a project in Publisher and use the Designer & Photo personas as needed. I can now do 90% of my work this way without ever having to fire up Designer or APhoto.

Studiolink is only available in Publisher but it is very powerful and much faster than switching between all 3 apps

Thanks. I'll poke around int he Character panel till I find it.

Starting in Publisher may be the best solution. It goes against decades of muscle memory to do an image based layout in a page layout app so I hadn't tried that yet. Each of these apps has a lot of functionality that is usually not present in such apps. They're not as separate as I've become accustomed to. Which goes back to my suggestion that workflow between them be highlighted more. It will take some time and experimentation for me to get comfortable with it.

Thanks all for responding.

I think Publisher magage 3 personas with Studio Link because you will need the 3 apps for designing a catalog, for instance.
When you use PHOTO or DESIGNER as a stand alone app, I guess you want to edit a photo or create a logo, and then "edit with..." if you want to use it in a future catalog, magazine... In PUBLISHER.

The weird thing is that set up of DESIGNER or PHOTO is different depending if you use it as a stand alone app or as a persona in PUBLISHER, I mean they are not connected and the interfaces are different and you don't have the same tools as you want them to be shown; for example, if you install new brushes into DESIGNER as persona in PUBLISHER, you won't have them in DESIGNER stand alone app and the same the other way around...

So you have to choose your workflow before starting to work with Affinity apps.

I had PHOTO and have just bought DESIGNER and PUBLISHER, and I'm confused; I 'm not sure  which is the best option in my workflow 😞

18 hours ago, Tone Camara said:

I think Publisher magage 3 personas with Studio Link because you will need the 3 apps for designing a catalog, for instance.
When you use PHOTO or DESIGNER as a stand alone app, I guess you want to edit a photo or create a logo, and then "edit with..." if you want to use it in a future catalog, magazine... In PUBLISHER.

The weird thing is that set up of DESIGNER or PHOTO is different depending if you use it as a stand alone app or as a persona in PUBLISHER, I mean they are not connected and the interfaces are different and you don't have the same tools as you want them to be shown; for example, if you install new brushes into DESIGNER as persona in PUBLISHER, you won't have them in DESIGNER stand alone app and the same the other way around...

So you have to choose your workflow before starting to work with Affinity apps.

I had PHOTO and have just bought DESIGNER and PUBLISHER, and I'm confused; I 'm not sure  which is the best option in my workflow 😞

Your last sentence pretty much sums up why I posted in the first place. I'm glad I'm not the only one trying to figure it out. There are certainly growing pains and I expect that experience and upgrades will sort much of it out.

Unfortunately the prefs I set up for Designer are different than the ones I set up for Publisher. For instance in Designer and Photo I like my scroll wheel to adjust the size of the viewing percentage. In Publisher I prefer it to scroll through pages. I can't have both in Publisher even if I change personas as far as i know. There's also the issue of brushes, color palettes, and assets that aren't linked in the three programs as you mentioned. Plus I prefer the Designer interface and the tools it puts in front of you. 

But I'm starting my projects in Publisher for a while and see how it goes with the knowledge that the file can be "converted" to Designer If I don't like that workflow. Once again, highlighting workflow possibilities could go a long way towards attracting artists who may be judging Affinity by a single package.

Couple of days with Publisher and Designer, watching tutorials... And I think I will use standalone apps when I have to do a defined work; pictures and web designs for PHOTO, logos and one piece printed works for Designer and several pieces works (catalogues, brochures, magazines...) for Publisher. 

I think personas in Publisher were created to do up or adapt images and vector objects you want to use in your brochure, for instance; creating a uniform look for the whole piece of work