You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have an object I have cut from a photo image. I want to make 2 duplicates of the object & colour each of the 3 differently.

First I made 2 duplicates of the original (background) image.

I then succeeded in colouring one duplicate (following a video tutorial to create a new layer, a coloured version of the object which overlays the original duplicate). In the workspace the new pink layer is shown overlaying the original duplicate (I checked by moving it, which revealed the original duplicate beneath) & also the thumbnail in the layers list is coloured pink. These two layers have been auto-grouped I think, as they are now shown as one list entry, with a white arrow icon.

When I choose the other duplicate in the layers list the image in the workspace doesn't change, still the pink duplicate is shown, unless I deselect the pink coloured grouped layers in the list.

I don't understand how this works.

Ideally I would like to have all 3 of the objects in the workspace together so I can work on their colours by comparison. How do I do this? (To complete the project I want the 3 objects placed side-by-side & saved as one image).

I think I'm beginning to understand. The image object layers are stacked on top of each other, & the pink one is on top, that's why, even if I have a different one selected, the pink one still shows on top in the workspace (can this be changed without having to re-order the layers in the layer list?).

I tried holding ctrl & moving a layer to the side of the one showing (in the workspace), to work on it, but it disappears as it leaves the chequered background. Can I create a new layer of a large chequered background that I can place the 3 objects on to work on them?

Affinity Photo 1.10.6.1665 / Affinity Publisher 1.10.6 - Win 10 Home 64 bit 22H2, OS Build 19045.2251 - Asus ROG G20CB - i5-6400 2.7ghz - 8gb RAM - NVIDIA GX950- BenQ BL2783

2 hours ago, eightysevens said:

Can I create a new layer of a large chequered background that I can place the 3 objects on to work on them?

You can use the Resize Canvas command to give you a larger working area, and move your three layers around on that:

980134557_Screenshot2020-04-19at16_53_15.png.6a7f0c8856e01878d40ca8f818282fa0.png

(You may need to unlock the original "Background" layer in the Layers panel before you can move its content around on the canvas.)

You can also temporarily hide and display layers by unchecking and checking the boxes in the Layers panel:

679439674_Screenshot2020-04-19at16_55_28.thumb.png.87809b2a9143030a066177f0cecb78ce.png

Cheers,

H

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

Also, is the a measuring rule tool that I can add along the edge of the chequered space so I don't have to count the tiny squares when I am aligning elements?

Affinity Photo 1.10.6.1665 / Affinity Publisher 1.10.6 - Win 10 Home 64 bit 22H2, OS Build 19045.2251 - Asus ROG G20CB - i5-6400 2.7ghz - 8gb RAM - NVIDIA GX950- BenQ BL2783

10 minutes ago, eightysevens said:

Also, is the a measuring rule tool that I can add along the edge of the chequered space so I don't have to count the tiny squares when I am aligning elements?

Aside from the Rulers that you can enable along the top and left sides, no.

However, if you have the Move Tool selected, you can select an object, then hold the Ctrl key (Windows, perhaps Cmd on Mac) and as you move the mouse around you'll get measurements from the selected object to whatever object the cursor is over.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1