You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disable auto capitalisation

Hi.

When I have set the language of a style to none, I am still seeing auto-capitalisation.

Given that, IMHO, capitalisation is part of the language, I would have expected it to be turned off  ... either way ... How do I turn off the auto-capitalisation?

Thanks.

Without some examples of where it's happening, I'm not sure we'll be able to help. Can you show us a few of the cases you're concerned about?

Also, I presume you're talking about Publisher?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Check 

Edit > Preference > Auto Correct

Capitalise first letter of sentences

If that is what is happening

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks Carl ... I had seen that ... but that is an app level switch. I am looking for a style level switch ... I want to have auto-capitalisation for most of my work (Boris might not live forever!) ... but when I turn language off, I am expecting that to also turn off capitalisation. 

In this particular instance, I am creating some educational coding resources where I have a style called 'Code' ... with the language turned off ... unfortunately Publisher still capitalises it ... but that changes the command ... which in turn means that my model answers code will not run!

32 minutes ago, Folbo said:

In this particular instance, I am creating some educational coding resources where I have a style called 'Code' ... with the language turned off ... unfortunately Publisher still capitalises it ... but that changes the command ... which in turn means that my model answers code will not run!

Can you provide specific examples of the text that is misbehaving?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Python command:

print("Hello Old School coders of the World")

Publisher will capitalise the p of print as soon as I type the '(', but since Python is a case sensitive language ... issues will arise!

The paragraph style that I am using, 'code BASE'  'should' have language 'none'.

I say should because as I go to screen shot it, it is showing a line. I can change it to none, click OK and immediately edit the style again ... and the setting was not changed :-(

Seeing this:

1359842473_Screenshot2020-04-19at16_08_53.png.835b5f89fbe0d204e2e1f24173be834a.png

Changing to this and saving

934582481_Screenshot2020-04-19at16_09_09.png.8f03c12e88b5049134d8bcea3d524214.png

Editing the style immediately ... seeing this again ... but reading the style settings at the bottom of the box it appears to be language:none ... and it is definitely capitalising!

589827117_Screenshot2020-04-19at16_11_44.png.54de1cfd8fe8e53af04922f94924478f.png

Screenshot 2020-04-19 at 16.08.53.png

1 hour ago, Folbo said:

When I have set the language of a style to none, I am still seeing auto-capitalisation.

Given that, IMHO, capitalisation is part of the language, I would have expected it to be turned off  ... either way ... How do I turn off the auto-capitalisation?

Go to Preferences > Auto-correct and turn off Auto Capitalization. Your assumption about setting language to None cancelling capitalization is false. You will have to get used to using the shift key for capital letters.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for the example text. I'm afraid that Old Bruce is right. That Capitalization setting in Preferences is not language-based.

There probably should be some setting like you want, but there is not one at this point. You could post a Feature Request for that, and give your example of text where it is inappropriate for Publisher to automatically make changes to what the user has entered.

-- Walt
PC:

But, for now, there is an alternative besides turning capitalization off.

You should find that you can "undo" that automatic capitalization when it occurs:

1. Type print(
  2. Notice that Publisher turned it into Print(
  3. Press Ctrl+Z (Cmd+Z on Mac, probably) and Publisher will turn it back into print( for you.

All of the auto-correct actions can be reversed with Undo, if you notice them and reverse them immediately.

-- Walt
PC:

• 11 months later...

I am having a problem with formatting a document where  I want to have paragraph "numbering" as follows:

a)

b)

The programme does not let me override the capitalisation, as it "thinks" I am starting a new sentence.

I have also had the vexing problem of the "a" being turned into an @ and refusing to be a) as I want.  By putting a space in front of it I can work around but it is not good for the formatting.

I thought I would check what I was righting and.....I have been able to get a) and no  @.......what is happening?

Further checking reveals that the text has been formatted as a numbered list.  I can not replicate the vexing behavior now!

C

22 minutes ago, CMB said:

am having a problem with formatting a document where  I want to have paragraph "numbering" as follows:

a)

b)

The programme does not let me override the capitalisation, as it "thinks" I am starting a new sentence.

Two possibilities, depending on which is easier for you:

1. Preferences, Auto-Correct, has an option for capitalizing the start of a sentence, I think.
  2. Type the "a", let it become "A", and then Undo (Ctrl+Z (Windows), or Cmd+Z (Mac), is easiest. Then type the ")".

I have also had the vexing problem of the "a" being turned into an @ and refusing to be a) as I want.  By putting a space in front of it I can work around but it is not good for the formatting.

I thought I would check what I was righting and.....I have been able to get a) and no  @.......what is happening?

Further checking reveals that the text has been formatted as a numbered list.  I can not replicate the vexing behavior now!

Sorry; no idea on that.

-- Walt
PC: