You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Luminar 4 as a plugin in AF

A lot of people have been asking to use Luminar 4 as a plugin in AF.  The plugin doesn't work on MacOS Mojave and newer versions. The reason for this is that MacOS sandboxing blocks AF from writing a temp file for the plugin. When you try to launch Luminar as a filter plugin you can see this in the console logs.

IIOImageWriteSession:115: cannot create: '/tmp/MacPhunPlugin-0x600004050a10-283133786.tiff.sb-04646d08-HWTgPU'
         error = 1 (Operation not permitted)

Sandbox: Affinity Photo(88594) deny(1) file-write-create /private/tmp/MacPhunPlugin-0x600004087bf0-292523316.tiff.sb-04646d08-452MfV

Often a way to fix this is to give the app full disk access in the MacOS preferences, however not in this case. I'm not sure why the sandboxing denies the creation of the file. The /private/tmp file _should_ be writeable by default so perhaps it's the function call being used to create the file? Affinity developers I hope this information is helpful and that you can come up with a fix. It would be quite handy to use Luminar as an AF plugin.

Edited by VodkaHindJelly

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Bruce Atkinson,
As far as i know no. It's possible this is something we may be able to solve ourselves but i will have to check with the devs. I've also bumped the report to bring it up to their attention again. We are aware this is a popular plugin and quite some users would like to have it running but unfortunately i don't have better news at this point.

Please escalate the need for Luminar 4 plugin functionality. Luminar AI is about to come out and this request will be in heavy demand within the next 2 months. I strongly recommend that we get ahead of it now. You can really corner your market if you stop allowing plugin mishaps like this one (shots fired towards your manager's manager's manger lol). If you guys supported more plugins for mainstream apps, Adobe wouldn't stand a chance against you guys. Please send a copy of this message to the powers that be.😁 I'm a photographer, and there's a lot movement of photo creators moving to capture one and affinity (vs. LR/PS) due to overall power and efficiency, etc. The only thing hindering you guys at this point is plugin support. so most photographers are "STUCK" with PS until affinity supports more plugins.

20 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Bruce Atkinson,
As far as i know no. It's possible this is something we may be able to solve ourselves but i will have to check with the devs. I've also bumped the report to bring it up to their attention again. We are aware this is a popular plugin and quite some users would like to have it running but unfortunately i don't have better news at this point.

Thanks MEB, Skylum seems to talk the talk but is pretty slack on walking it. I'm glad you guys appear to be stepping up.