You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Afinity hard crashes Win 10.

Hey guys, I have Affinity Photo on my Win 10 machine.  

I worked fine then when I upgraded to 1.8.3 it started hard crashing when using live filters like Unsharp Mask

I dongraded back to 1.8.2 and now it hard crashes for fun - today it is hard crashing when I drag and drop a new file to open - yesterday it was when using refine in the selection tool (W)  I can at most make perhaps 2 or 3 adjustments before HARD CRASH -- 

I have no issues with PS LR or Davinci Resolve at all 

Windows 10, 32gb Ram (4x 8GB DDR4) Nvidia 1050ti, Asrock Z370m Pro 4, I9 processor.  -- I think tht should carry Affinity.  

Please help! 

@DM Green

Welcome to the Affinity forums.

Please go to %appdata%/Affinity/Photo/1.0/CrashReports/reports and post here the most recent of any files stored there.  (If you're not sure how to access this folder and files, press the Windows key and R and copy and paste the address into the box that opens.)

I assume when you say HARD Crash you mean the app crashes, or are you saying that Windows crashes?  Hopefully, it is not the latter!

HTH

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

3 minutes ago, DM Green said:

Hey Jeff, 

By HARD I mean it crashes the entire PC -- kicks it to total reboot -- 

An Affinity application cannot cause that, because it runs in user mode. That's a sign of a driver issue of some sort, a Windows flaw, or a hardware error. From your description of what you're doing I would guess it's a graphics driver problem, and updating to a more recent version of the graphics card driver may help.

If you get a Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) there will be an error message with important information about what went wrong. Please provide that if you can.

Otherwies, the Event Viewer will be able to provide information about what went wrong, which will also be usefu

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hey Guys, ran your error search - says folder is empty. 

As for graphics drivers they are updated to latest version. 

PC specs are:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200417161950.000000+480
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 158 Stepping 12, CPU Count: 16
Total Physical RAM: 32 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
Hard Drives: C :232 GB (175 GB Free); D : 931 GB (882 GB Free); F: 3726 GB (1877 GB Free); K: 931 GB (918 GB Free);
Motherboard: ASRock Z370M Pro4
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Walt, there is no BSOD, just into reboot sir, no error messages of any description. 

@DM Green

What about what @walt.farrell asked, the Windows Event Viewer?

Jeff

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

26 minutes ago, DM Green said:

Hey Guys, ran your error search - says folder is empty.

Try %Appdata%\Local\CrashDumps instead - I've had the same problem wih crash dumps going to the "wrong" location.

AP, AD & APub user, running Win10

2 minutes ago, IanSG said:

Try %Appdata%\Local\CrashDumps instead - I've had the same problem wih crash dumps going to the "wrong" location.

Just a warning box there Ian sayiung C:\users\surig\app...............is unavailable - If location is on this PC make sure the device / drive is connected or disc inserted....... 

In the screenshots from the Event Viewer, your first one has the Critical error "Kernel Power" highlighted. It is surrounded by two entries marked Error. It might be interesting to see the details of those entries.

I would be more specific about what to do, but I struggle with the Event Viewer myself, and I really don't have enough experience with it to guide another user, yet. But you might find this explanation useful: https://www.howtogeek.com/123646/htg-explains-what-the-windows-event-viewer-is-and-how-you-can-use-it/

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Just found this in the error logs / event viewer -- Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\Photo.exe".Error in manifest or policy file "C:\Program Files\Affinity\Photo\Photo.exe.Config" on line 0. Invalid Xml syntax.

Will get details now Walt. 

From bottom to top Walt:

Error - The previous system shutdown at 19:27:19 on ‎19/‎04/‎2020 was unexpected.
Critical - The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Error - Audit events have been dropped by the transport.  0

47 minutes ago, DM Green said:

This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Note that "system" in this refers to the operating system itself, not to an app such as Affinity. I don't know much about the Windows OS or the hardware it runs on, but the "lost power unexpectedly" possibility seems a bit ominous, like maybe the power supply is failing.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, DM Green said:

these seem to be the three folders that have caution and warning signs are they any help?

Looking again at your screenshots, you might scroll down a bit in the System Events listing to get down to the time of the critical error (19:41:37, Kernel Power) shown in the Administrator listing. Then highlight everything from a few seconds before that to a few seconds after.

Then click on Save Selected Events in the lower right pane, and upload the saved file for us to look at.

You might do the same for the same time period in the Application log.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Hi DM Green :)

Apologies for the delayed response here, I've had one of our developers read through your thread and we believe this may be related to your drivers, likely your GPU. Could you please download the latest drivers from the manufactures website (not through Windows updates as this doesn't tend to be the latest version) and make sure to run a 'clean installation' if you're given the choice.

Please do let me know if this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

11 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi DM Green :)

Apologies for the delayed response here, I've had one of our developers read through your thread and we believe this may be related to your drivers, likely your GPU. Could you please download the latest drivers from the manufactures website (not through Windows updates as this doesn't tend to be the latest version) and make sure to run a 'clean installation' if you're given the choice.

Please do let me know if this helps!

Hi Dan, all of my drivers are on latest version, I heve even reverted to previous versions and same result, I have gone as far as a full reinstall of Win 10 and all software and latest drivers - same result

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that, I recommend downloading the following software and monitoring your GPU, as if you've tried wiping and reinstalling drivers and are still seeing this issue, it's certainly possible that this is caused by your GPU overheating, or possibly starting to fail.

Hardware Monitor will allow you to keep an eye on this whilst you use Affinity and should hopefully point you towards the hardware you need to investigate,

https://openhardwaremonitor.org/

If you'd like to try and generate a BSOD or error when the system crashes for further information you can try turning "Automatically restart" ON in System Properties > Startup and Recovery > Settings > System Failure. Please see the below link for more info here - 

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/disable-automatic-restart-system-failure-windows

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!