You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Free Transform, Perspective & Warp Tools

9 minutes ago, zayca said:

I bougth it couple days ago and so far i regret

You had a 90 (!) days trial option to test if the tool actually does what you need before you buy.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

23 minutes ago, zayca said:

I bougth it couple days ago and so far i regret

11 minutes ago, loukash said:

You had a 90 (!) days trial option to test if the tool actually does what you need before you buy.

If you bought it from the Affinity Store (not the Mac App Store or the Microsoft Store) your purchase is covered by a 14-day ‘no quibble’ money back guarantee.

https://store.serif.com/help/#returns

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, loukash said:

Please point me to the competition that is compatible with MacOS El Capitan

Get yourself a proper system and OS and you're set. 😆

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

1 hour ago, Andy05 said:

Get yourself a proper system and OS

I've put others on ignore for less. Just so you know… :P

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 5/17/2021 at 11:36 AM, Andy05 said:

Those are perfect examples for artworks/artsy designs. But that's because those artists have skill, it's less a matter of the tool they use.

I stand by my statement. AD is not a replacement for Illustrator at all. Even if you can work around the missing tracing and warp tools (though at the cost of spending multiple hours longer on a project, which is a no-go for a professional workflow). The lack of true customisable vector brushes alone is a joke for a "vector" app.

To be fair as far as I know Affinity never call AD an Illustrator replacement, what you have is some users who say it is or even an Illustrator killer. But it is all down to your requirements, for some it can be a replacement but if you’re talking about generally then it clearly isn’t even close. I would certainly like to have seen more progress on features considering it’s been out for a fair while now, as things are I’m not sure it will ever be a real 1:1 replacement. Everyone has a wishlist of features they’d like to see. Then again you are talking about something costing £50 vs £20/month and locked out of your docs if you stop paying the tax. If you are making money with your graphics that is probably a small price to pay but for hobbyists it probably isn’t worth it. Even with it’s shortcomings it is probably the 3rd ??? best vector app after AI and Corel Draw (haven’t used corel for many years so am presuming it would be 2nd). I disagree they have lots of competition at this price point, but again it might depend what you are trying to achieve.

As for tracing I use a stand alone app as I’ve never been that impressed with AI’s.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

I think that Andy05 thought about such tools like Krita.

It's obvious that currently AD isn't right tool for designing such things like icons, logos, leaflets etc. Especially for amateours - because it will be too hard and complicateed - and as well for the pros - it will be too slow and with too many workarounds. For such tasks we nedd such things like grid gradients, knife, some transformations, free shadows...

For vector painting some fancy brushes, line tools, contour tools etc. can be enough, because the main tool you use then it's your artsy gift, hand and digital pen.

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2021 at 1:07 AM, Dazmondo77 said:

Now at the point - wish someone could find the grave of Freehand and do a super Frankenstein job on it (no subscription)- massive shame Adobe got it hands on it.

Yes I know missing basic features aren't everything, you only have to use VectorStyler to realise how good the Affinity user interface is, I'm just tired of the workarounds on workarounds to get functionality I was getting 25 years ago with Freehand

I couldn't agree with you more. I REALLY MISS Freehand! 😞

I miss it even more having recently discovered some old files that were saved in it... 😞   😞   😞  

On 6/23/2021 at 2:24 AM, Mann Artt said:

I couldn't agree with you more. I REALLY MISS Freehand! 😞

I miss it even more having recently discovered some old files that were saved in it... 😞   😞   😞  

Freehand MX still works on Windows 10. I was able to open some old projects without any problems lately. Of course, if you use mac OS, that's another matter.
But, for all its nostalgia, it's no longer up to date in many concerns.

• 1 month later...

Although affinity is a very good software, the lack of mesh warp, warp brush or puppet warp prevents me from using it as a production tool.

Exporting from one software to another to do specific common actions is a pain.

It's surprising that this tool isn't implemented with all the traction affinity has.

I absolute agree with you. These tools are so important that I cannot understand the plan for application launch before implementing it. Same with shape builder. It is a pain for everyone who is an paid artist and i cannot belive that any pro could use it instead of AI. I am not a pro but I see how much more work/time is needed in designer to make stuff which should be easy. 

2 hours ago, zayca said:

Same with shape builder.

I've read this sooo many times now..

Will somebody please explain to me what a shape-builder is?

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

It a tool which lets You combine different shapes (add or subtract) in one object without using many boolean cuts, just by clicking and dragging. So when diffrent and multiple objects intersects which each other they can be added or substracted, and new shape can be created based on their outlines etc. I guess this doesn’t explain it nicely, english is not my native language. Best to see this on youtube. 

2 hours ago, Xzenor said:

I've read this sooo many times now..

Will somebody please explain to me what a shape-builder is?

As zayca explained, it's a tool which basically allows you a shortcut way for several boolean cuts.

But I disagree, that that's a "must have" for professionals. Vector warping functions have been around for decades in most vector apps since their first version and professionals were able to save a lot of time as this is a feature which is still in use (admittedly less than some years ago, tho). Reproducing the result manually is demanding time and skills.

But the shape-builder is relatively new—IIRC it was introduced in Illustrator CS5 in 2010ish—and in contrast to a vector-warp (preferably non-destructive!) it's something which isn't saving that much time in comparison to applying boolean functions.

The shape-builder is more a tool for convenience and actually more helpful for enthusiastic amateurs rather than professional designers. That's why Adobe introduced it as a "new and fresh" feature that late into their suite and not decades ago along with i. e. warping. That's not a matter of complexity to program such tool. 

There simply wasn't much demand for it, but it sounded good in advertising as a fresh new feature back then for the next version of the CS. And yes, it is more convenient than fiddling with boolean functions, if you don't know how to work with latter. But it's far from being an essential function of a vector app.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

18 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

As zayca explained, it's a tool which basically allows you a shortcut way for several boolean cuts.

But I disagree, that that's a "must have" for professionals. Vector warping functions have been around for decades in most vector apps since their first version and professionals were able to save a lot of time as this is a feature which is still in use (admittedly less than some years ago, tho). Reproducing the result manually is demanding time and skills.

But the shape-builder is relatively new—IIRC it was introduced in Illustrator CS5 in 2010ish—and in contrast to a vector-warp (preferably non-destructive!) it's something which isn't saving that much time in comparison to applying boolean functions.

The shape-builder is more a tool for convenience and actually more helpful for enthusiastic amateurs rather than professional designers. That's why Adobe introduced it as a "new and fresh" feature that late into their suite and not decades ago along with i. e. warping. That's not a matter of complexity to program such tool. 

There simply wasn't much demand for it, but it sounded good in advertising as a fresh new feature back then for the next version of the CS. And yes, it is more convenient than fiddling with boolean functions, if you don't know how to work with latter. But it's far from being an essential function of a vector app.

I looked up a YouTube like @zayca said and I must say that I'm not impressed... I can do all that with the boolean actions. Sure, it might take a few clicks more but it's not some feature I can't live without.. Vector free transform and warping however.....

But that's my opinion..

I've stolen enough of this thread for a personal question.. On with the actual topic!

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

I was shocked to discover that AD doesn't have any mesh warp or envelope functionality.  CorelDraw does this with everything and also has other kinds of distortion as well as symmetrical drawing.  It's a shame because some of AD's layer effects on artistic text are gorgeous, especially 3D.  

Their 3D effect is awesome but you can't warp it or change the envelope!!  Aaaargh.  

My AD 1.10 crashes instantly whenever I try to convert text containing layer effects to curves.  I submitted that as a bug report.

It's a real shame because that 3D layer effect when applied to artistic text is almost worth the price all by itself.  And if you try to export it, it works "kinda-sorta" but it rasterizes the layer.  It preserves the transparency, and then CorelDraw can import and mesh-warp or envelope distort it, but it's not a vector object any more.

That's a shame.  Bummed me out bigtime.

They need to implement these features in a major way!

Edited by AKSturb01

Shape builder is not the only tool missing for me. I put it in the same level of need a as warp or blend tool. No mirror? It’s like a car without wheels. 
Ok, I have to admit that Affinity apps are cheap but on the other I would define their develop stage as alpha ( tool box is half way there). I am not a pro, I don’t earn money with illustration but I still miss functionality in many cases. I am ready to pay twice for important tools and performance so this investment make sense. 

1 hour ago, zayca said:

[...] I am ready to pay twice for important tools and performance so this investment make sense. 

Well, I still think this will be the option in the future. I don't see those new features integrated into any  V1.x. I rather see them coming with V2.x, which will be a paid upgrade of the apps.

Paul Rand (1914-1996)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...