You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Free Transform, Perspective & Warp Tools

51 minutes ago, ra.skill said:

Moan moan moan Christ it gets boring, Adobe is ready and waiting for you guys 👍🏻

So, you think, it'd be better if we'd all become Cheerleaders instead?

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

20 hours ago, ra.skill said:

Moan moan moan Christ it gets boring

Damn right

But seven years is a long time to tolerate temporary workarounds especially when in 1.9 those workarounds now need further workarounds because of a recent colour bug....

Moan moan waffle blah......😶

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

31 minutes ago, zayca said:

I belive it is not a rocket science for people who built designer. 

maybe it's more complex than rocket science?

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

31 minutes ago, Phojoegraphy said:

The point is that some of these tools exist in-part already in Photo. Also they existed in past legacy Serif apps. No excuse for the missing tools - especially warping. 

Sorry but warping pixels is completely different than warping vectors.

But, it's not rocket science. They know how to do it. DrawPlus is the predecessor of Affinity Designer (yes, by Serif) and it has a lot of features that are still missing in Designer (and vice versa).

Among the features: Envelope, Roughen and Perspective tools

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

23 minutes ago, Xzenor said:

Sorry but warping pixels is completely different than warping vectors.

But, it's not rocket science. They know how to do it. DrawPlus is the predecessor of Affinity Designer (yes, by Serif) and it has a lot of features that are still missing in Designer (and vice versa).

Right. I would imagine it would take much less CPU/GPU processing than pushing pixels around.

DrawPlus is the legacy app I was referring to. 

On 5/7/2021 at 9:20 AM, ra.skill said:

Moan moan moan Christ it gets boring, Adobe is ready and waiting for you guys 👍🏻

Sitting silent isn't how one gets changes made. Adobe has everyone over a barrel which is why a lot of people are looking for alternatives. If it bores you, why are you in the  thread?

I was shocked that there are no tools like Eraser, Knife, Shadow, Distort, Envelope, Extrude and some transform tools (Roughen, Smudge) in AD 😮

I've just tried Affinity Photo and it's really great so I thought that I will finally get also some good vector graphics tool for occasional personal use because Corel is extremely expensive nowadays and it's "cheaper" version has less and less tools every year... but AD doesn't have some tools that I've seen in Corel TWENTY or at least SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO!

I don't understand it, since many of them are really basic and as other users noticed Serif offered them in their previous app DrawPlus X8 (last version from 2015 if I'm correct)!

Even Gimp seems to have more tools... It's sad because some of them are really crucial for less experienced users (for example Eraser, Knife, Envelope, Extrude...)

It would be great if we knew if and when some of these tools will be finally added. Without them buying AD makes no sense, especially that 2.0 version will be a separate product. 

11 hours ago, Designer1234 said:

TWENTY or at least SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO!

I started with Freehand 7 in 96 which did everything I needed it to 25 years ago, and back in 2014 saw Designer as a shining light as it showed so much promise, looking at all the missing basics planned back then, I thought within a couple of years I'd at least get similar basic functionality as freehand - now we're approaching 7 years from release and I just want to get work done, which is ultra frustrating as Designer is a brilliant beast - brilliant we recently got select same and contour tool but it took 6 years - 

Now at the point - wish someone could find the grave of Freehand and do a super Frankenstein job on it (no subscription)- massive shame Adobe got it hands on it.

Yes I know missing basic features aren't everything, you only have to use VectorStyler to realise how good the Affinity user interface is, I'm just tired of the workarounds on workarounds to get functionality I was getting 25 years ago with Freehand

Also some of us need to print CMYK to CMYK devices!?!?!? 

(Vincent Price type voice) 'O' RISE GREAT FREEHAND' 

Moan moan eff-in moan😕

Sorry guys woke in a mood realise the team are doing all they can to achieve - just getting stuff off my chest

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

49 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

I thought within a couple of years I'd at least get similar basic functionality as freehand

Unfortunately, as you can see with one of the major new feature they've added to APh lately (astro protography stacking), their focus still is attracting new enthusiastic hobbyists with fancy looking features rather than focusing on making the apps reliable tools for professionals.

I also wish they'd focus a bit more on adding "dated, yet needed" features to their apps instead of adding stuff which cut a fine figurine on websites and PR texts.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

13 hours ago, Designer1234 said:

I was shocked that there are no tools like Eraser, Knife, Shadow, Distort, Envelope, Extrude and some transform tools (Roughen, Smudge) in AD 😮

Can't say I was shocked back in 2014 but after a play around and a look online, found they where still building in the basics - so maybe have to wait a year or so to get "No bloat, no gimmicks, just all the tools you need" not even expecting that, just a few crucial basics to make life as easy as 1996 ----- nearly7years---- 

14 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

Unfortunately, as you can see with one of the major new feature they've added to APh lately (astro protography stacking), their focus still is attracting new enthusiastic hobbyists with fancy looking features rather than focusing on making the apps reliable tools for professionals.

Unfortunately, Photo seems a fair few years ahead in terms of its ability to let you crack on and get work done, with far far less workarounds

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

As a amateur I also have an impression that AP is far more functional, has much more features and even though I don't know how good it is for professional work I feel that for the non-experienced user it's really great app, it's really worth it's price - actually it's price on current sale is fantastic.

I've just retouched a lot of my wallpapers, it was quite easy, fast nad far more pleasant that it would be in GIMP :)

Unfortunately I feel that AD is really, really weak. OK, it has great UI, especially comparing to Inkscape, but some missing tools are really essential not only for professionals but also for amateurs!

Sadly, some must-have tools for pros seems to be less important from my perspective and vice versa. I really miss eraser, knife, shadow, envelope, extrude and first of all mesh fills, but not necessarily all these fancy path and line tools or adding dimensions....

So it will be still many unsatisfied users no matter how many new features they add...
...but some unhappy users are stil better than having all of them disappointed :D

Edited by Designer1234

On 5/8/2021 at 4:30 PM, Xzenor said:

DrawPlus is the predecessor of Affinity Designer (yes, by Serif) and it has a lot of features that are still missing in Designer (and vice versa).

I’d love see Envelope, Roughen and Perspective tools in AD, and Dimension and Connector tools, too, but DP is only the ‘predecessor’ of AD in the sense that it came from the same software house with some of same developers. The two software titles have no code in common: DP is Windows-only, and highly dependent on built-in Windows functions, whereas AD was built from the ground up to be largely platform-agnostic.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Yeah, that's true, but I thought that calculations that must be made, rules and algorithms that has to be used are the same for any knife or envelope tool, so they don't have to figure out how to make such tool for vector graphics, how it works. They know it, they know what to implement, they "only" have to rewrite the code... Isn't that true? Of course it requires some work and time, but does it really require so many years? I understand that the code itself, the language used to write it, some libraries, frameworks and perhaps some other things are different now, but are they so different that adding some basic tools is almost like re-inventing them?

Some of these tools are known and used for at least two decades.

But Perhaps AD has different philosophy and will be always as wired as Corel Photo-Paint - an app that nobody uses? :D
It looks that it's rather vector painting app than vector designing app :)

14 hours ago, Designer1234 said:

It looks that it's rather vector painting app than vector designing app

That's exactly, what I'm telling everybody who's asking me about AD and if it's useful as a replacement for Illustrator. It's not. It's a decent piece of software for artsy creation of digital designs/illustrations/paintings.

Paul Rand (1914-1996)

45 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

It's a decent piece of software for artsy creation of digital designs/illustrations/paintings.

I wouldn’t call the following ‘artsy’! What’s your definition of the term? :/

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

15 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I wouldn’t call the following ‘artsy’! What’s your definition of the term? :/

Those are perfect examples for artworks/artsy designs. But that's because those artists have skill, it's less a matter of the tool they use.

I stand by my statement. AD is not a replacement for Illustrator at all. Even if you can work around the missing tracing and warp tools (though at the cost of spending multiple hours longer on a project, which is a no-go for a professional workflow). The lack of true customisable vector brushes alone is a joke for a "vector" app.

Paul Rand (1914-1996)

5 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

those artists have skill, it's less a matter of the tool they use

And they have learned to master their tool of choice.
The best hammer won't hit the nail on the head all by itself if you don't learn how to do it right first. And that there are different hammers for different nails.

8 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

AD is not a replacement for Illustrator at all

I have to agree that it's not there yet in many regards, but…

9 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

a no-go for a professional workflow

Define "professional workflow".
Are the above "artsy" examples not "professional" enough?

It's a non-argument.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

3 minutes ago, loukash said:

And they have learned to master their tool of choice.
The best hammer won't hit the nail on the head all by itself if you don't learn how to do it right first. And that there are different hammers for different nails.

I have to agree that it's not there yet in many regards, but…

Define "professional workflow".
Are the above "artsy" examples not "professional" enough?

It's a non-argument.

"Professional workflow" as in "what users of Illustrator make most money with". I doubt it's art.

Paul Rand (1914-1996)

1 minute ago, Andy05 said:

"Professional workflow" as in "what users of Illustrator make most money with"

A "professional user" making money using a "professional Illustrator workflow" should then probably continue to use their tool of choice since it makes money for them.
I, for one, likely would, if it would make enough money for me. I don't like Adobe's subscription scam because the models they offer are over my budget, and they don't offer me anymore alternatives that would fit my need. As in: Buying an upgrade every few years to only those few apps that I needed while skipping CS1, CS2, CS4 and CS5 was well within my budget.

So I still don't get your point with "professional workflow" in the context of this thread. (For the record: I'm eagerly waiting for the addition of all those requested tools just like the next guy! ;))
If it's a matter of scalability and teamwork, then folks should likely stay with Adobe for the time being.

9 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

I doubt it's art.

Yeah. Right. No art here, huh?
duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=adobe+illustrator+art&iax=images&ia=images

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

34 minutes ago, loukash said:

A "professional user" making money using a "professional Illustrator workflow" should then probably continue to use their tool of choice since it makes money for them.

Exactly. But since making the most money possible is also something most professionals strive for, finding alternatives for Illustrator is a question often being asked. And for most of them, AD in its current state is not an alternative. That's what I meant.  

BTW, I'm in the same boat as you, still using (dated) versions of Corel's and Adobe's apps, which I have bought a permanent licence for (permanent -> as long as my system/OS will allow me to use them, of course). I honestly wish I could do everything in affinity apps for my work as I like their "look & feel", but I can't. Or sometimes I don't want to as it'd require time intensive workarounds.

37 minutes ago, loukash said:

And the vast majority of those don't make their living with any of those artworks, I guess. So, irrelevant for this discussion about working professional in the meaning of "making you living with the work". Furthermore, I wonder, how many of those examples, who actually make their living with it, have made use of vector distortion, warp, blend or vector brushes in their works. In this case, you just confirmed my point. As creating the same in AD would take a lot longer, hence isn't optimal at all. 

In my eyes, Serif needs to decide where it wants to go with designer. Surpassing Adobe is almost impossible unless you invest millions (we had that discussion somewhere else in these fora already). So, they seem to target at the ethusiastic hobbyists and the "artsy" sectors of vector design. Unfortunately, there's a lot of competition in this sector en par with Affinity's price levels and most of the time surpassing Affinity's apps in fuctions and features.

Paul Rand (1914-1996)

1 minute ago, Andy05 said:

I guess

Please don't. :)

3 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

Serif needs to decide where it wants to go with designer

I would expect them they did that long ago.

4 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

invest millions

My impression being their bigger worry currently being to find qualified developers willing to move to Nottingham, UK.
And my gut feeling in that regard being that the Brexit nonsense doesn't help much either.

8 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

there's a lot of competition in this sector en par with Affinity's price levels and most of the time surpassing Affinity's apps in fuctions and features

Please point me to the competition that is compatible with MacOS El Capitan and later and that can do what Affinity StudioLink can.
Because that's why I'm now in.

Well, I bougth it couple days ago and so far i regret. Price is low but I strugle to do some basic stuff which should be done much, much faster. I experience so much missing features during simple stuff. I was looking for simple mirror or symmetry option- not there? Wtf! And I am not a professional just a person who would like to some simple stuff and even with that I encountered many missing features.