You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Free Transform, Perspective & Warp Tools

2 hours ago, lenogre said:

I'm jealous of VectorStyler.

So many tools I would like to see in AD

AD would marry with VectorStyler.

Non-Destructive vector distortions in VectorStyler are brilliant 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

@Dazmondo77 @lenogre

I agree vectorstyler is impressive! Without taking away from affinity on anything, when I've made suggestions to vectorstyler for improvements, they are responded to and often the fix is within a few days. I sent an example to them of an issue with how it's warp feature negatively compressed the exterior bookend letters in a word and they just sent me a notice they fixed it in the latest build. Not expecting affinity to have that turnaround time but it's awesome to see solutions

I've been holding on to cs6 forever, using it for most of my shirt design work because I know it inside and out and can be efficient with it. Vectorstyler and affinity still give me great hope I can transition over to a combo use of the two apps. Using the strengths of each together to create what I do now in cs6. Add this is in no way dashing cs6 is great, but it's time is short and the options a combo of affinity and vectorstyler offer are limitless

3 hours ago, Boldlinedesign said:

@Dazmondo77 @lenogre

I agree vectorstyler is impressive! Without taking away from affinity on anything, when I've made suggestions to vectorstyler for improvements, they are responded to and often the fix is within a few days. I sent an example to them of an issue with how it's warp feature negatively compressed the exterior bookend letters in a word and they just sent me a notice they fixed it in the latest build. Not expecting affinity to have that turnaround time but it's awesome to see solutions

I have to admit, this is a thing.. the absence and lack of response from Serif on hot topics is a bit frustrating.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

• 3 weeks later...

+1 for each of the following on desktop (& iPad):

Free TransformEnvelope DistortPerspective Distort for objects, editable text (and possibly groups). These are my biggest gripes with Designer and I'm beyond shocked after all these years we still don't have them. They are staples in typography and design and, sadly, keep users from being able to have a smooth Affinity workflow. I count myself among those looking to cut the Adobe chord and I believe this would go a very long way to allow that to happen for countless users.

I understand the reason why there's a lack of a road map now, but it would be beneficial to know that these basic tools are on the radar for release, (sooner rather than later).

(While we're adding to the wishlist, Elastic Warp, Bend and Mesh Gradient would be great too. But lets get the basics implemented.)

As much as I love Affinity Designer, I can't see myself going to 2.0 if these basic tools aren't implemented. I don't think I'm the only one.

Side note - I give VectorStyler beta a try based on a few comments on this thread and WOW! Some of the tools in there are incredibly smooth, especially for a beta version. Liquefy brush, eraser, not to mention all of the distortion and warping one could want... all vector! Their general UI pales a bit by comparison to Affinity, but the Affinity dev's should definitely take a look at all of these options.  

On 10/27/2020 at 8:19 AM, Oval said:

The staff have made it clear in several different topics that they will no longer provide ETA’s for any new features … but a mesh warp/distort tool is on the old Affinity Designer feature roadmap.

Yes the old roadmap stated that it would be implemented in version 1 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Vectorstyler recently improved their warp function so the first and last letters were not squished by the typical warp. I tested this out today with a common team name I would use for screen print design.
I created the text and arched it in VS, then made the triangle shape and used blend to make the pattern and then to also bend the arch of it. I copied and pasted it all into the new Affinity beta to play around with clipping the triangle effect inside the letters, add a stroke to the inside and use the new contour tool. I'm sure I could have done all of this in VS, but I wanted to see if using the tools VS has that are still missing in AD would allow me to do all I needed without resorting to Illustrator.

VS has so many options made available to the user and the ability to do so much with pure vector. They are also super responsive to input and make changes very quickly to their beta.
Their user UI is not as fluid or efficient as Affinity Designer - hopefully that will improve. It's also currently mac-only, though they have said they will port it over to windows once they finalize the app and release it officially.
Affinity Designer has a more efficient and fluid UI but still seems to lack "basic" vector functions like 100% pure vector brushes, text and object warping, vector eraser and blob brush, vector blend, etc.

It felt good to be able to create fully the type of stuff I was previously only able to do in Illustrator. My biggest fear was being stuck without these options if for some reason I could not longer continue to use CS6.
The combination of VS and AD gives me the feeling I can do almost anything I need sans Adobe. It also tempers my impatience in wanting to see larger steps taken with the enhancement of Affinity Designer.
373609163_ScreenShot2020-11-14at1_14_02PM.thumb.png.d577004c02c38e0bd25399a7b4f221fd.png

On 11/14/2020 at 5:52 AM, Dazmondo77 said:

Yes the old roadmap stated that it would be implemented in version 1 

Version 1.x, meaning before version 2.  We are still using versions 1.x - version 2 has not been released yet - so that could easily still happen.

18 hours ago, Boldlinedesign said:

VS has so many options made available to the user and the ability to do so much with pure vector.

Just ran tests on a complex vector logo which scattered across the page once copy pasted from designer into Vectorstyler a few betas back - now works great copy pasting between apps - AMAZING! - blob brush doesn't support pressure sensitivity yet (at least I couldn't find a way to turn it on) the real vector brushes are ACE! - pattern fill works just like Affinitys bitmap fill but vector MINT! - simplify path works great - every possible distortion works instantly, butter smooth - can't wait for it's release - may only have to use Illustrator CS5 for simple 3d and perspective grid - really hope it's not gonna be a subscription job - you can even setup a page with slug ----- NEEEEEED!

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

8 hours ago, Phojoegraphy said:

Fingers crossed. 

Wow well done for getting a response mate, although, I'm sure ASAP has been previously used as a response over the years - Really nice work by the way

Can you be our leader / our conduit to the serif gods regarding these issues?

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

7 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Wow well done for getting a response mate, although, I'm sure ASAP has been previously used as a response over the years - Really nice work by the way

Can you be our leader / our conduit to the serif gods regarding these issues?

Thanks! I know how this works though... everything is great at the start, then the gods demand a sacrifice and guess who gets thrown into the volcano?! ;)

If you are a vector illustrator - and Corel or Adobe is too expensive then this gotta make you curious: 

https://www.vectorstyler.com/detailed/

https://www.vectorstyler.com

The sad comparison is Affinity Designer - strip the toolbar for fillers and you get this:

image.png.ddbc8f8eebb269b2ae19e85a78bac9ba.png

Designer needs the PRO in professional. 

Designer is a tool for bitmap illustrators with a few basic vector tools for control. It will never catch up (not even close) on any competing vector program - and Serif do not intend to. It is obvious.

Designer is not cheap - what you save in money you will lose in time = money. Life. Time. Efficiency.

Or lets "quote" Affinity Spotlight:

an-illustration-of-a-woman-drowning-in-w

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 11/18/2020 at 11:44 AM, matt said:

I curse and swear often - each time I look for this and then remember it's not possible.

Then I load up VectorStyler and wonder why I don't just start in that app.

I really enjoy the Affinity interface. It's become second nature after a few years, especially since I'm using Affinity Photo in place of PS now. I found VectorStyler via this thread and it's already got a tremendous feature set. However, while it's more intuitive than illustrator out of the gate, it's not quite as intuitive as Affinity. That and I have tons of assets and brushes I rely on keep me here. VS has a TON of features that Designer really needs to implement sooner rather than later. Being able to copy & paste between AD and VS is a huge timesaver to leverage those features Designer doesn't have. I don't mind bouncing over to VS for a quick distort - but I'm sure that won't last long. I hope Affinity catches Designer up a bit as I feel it's definitely stagnated in terms of new features as of late. It's got me starting to look over at the neighbor's yard longingly.