You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Free Transform, Perspective & Warp Tools

The lack of warp and transform and mesh tools is one of the biggest reasons I can't fully move to Affinity designer as my go-to vector application and have to still hang on to an outdated OS to run my copy of Adobe CS6. I design t-shirts for a living and daily use the warping and transform functions to accomplish text effects. I agree that these features seem basic to any vector design app - but then again, so does a blob tool, a smooth tool, pure 100% vector brushes, select-same-as, and boolean operations that when merging objects, does not leave behind thousands of useless nodes, or make selections disappear, or freeze the app.
I love Affinity, but the years of waiting has been a real struggle with no explanations why

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Boldlinedesign said:

@MCFC_4Heatons - the developer said he will be porting it over to windows after he releases the final release candidate for mac. I have no idea what his time frame will be for that.
I'm REALLY hoping warp and the like are a part of this 1.9 update....

It was a bit of joke really if you see some of the comments to another post about a Windows only tool 😁 I'll deffo take a look if they come up with a windows version

As I said, I found and use a solution for years.

I talked about → PhotoLine which has a free demo. Windows/Mac. If you are the only user, you are allowed to use PhotoLine on several computers, even a mixture of macOS and Windows, with one registration for 59 €.

With it you can do something very special as well like that: Select a subgroup of vector points and transform them "layer like":

Transform Vector Points

(taken from https://www.pl32.com/pages/rnote.php )

17 minutes ago, NoSi said:

With it you can do something very special as well like that: Select a subgroup of vector points and transform them "layer like":

Hi @NoSi,

you do exactly this in AD with the Node Transform Mode:

node-transform.thumb.jpg.136e5a3505671aaadd1c26d46a711f44.jpg

Cheers 🙂

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Hm. What then is this discussion about? But I believe, that you did not recognized, that this is ONE of many other options. Instead of describing I made a simple screen video that hopefully is more descriptive.

EDIT: I had no dedicated plan how to do this, I am simply morphing a vector star in some ways spontaneously. Video solution is 640x480 upscaled here – originally the star is naturally smooth an clear .

Edited by NoSi
Explain video quality and content.

1 hour ago, NoSi said:

Hm. What then is this discussion about?

I did not say the whole discussion is wrong nor that free transform/perspective is not missing. It does. But this very example you gave is something that is easily possible in AD. I see and understand that many other things you show in your video are not possible in AD at the moment.

I also posted several times (and earlier in this thread) that to a certain degree perspective effects can be achieved in APh (with the live perspective filter). Vector objects do even remain editable (in the document, not after export). This solution is not very elegant nor very practical but in certain situations it may suffice.

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

22 minutes ago, dominik said:

This solution is not very elegant nor very practical but in certain situations it may suffice.

Did I mention that all frame operation shown in the video above can be done with any frame type? Besides vector this is pixel and text, and pixelframe used as char in a textframe:

image.png.fcca5e58e2786a628c22aee02fb0f773.png

additinally, you can liquify this textframe

image.png.68fc8359fc2469994212265b614764ba.png

but it is still editable (cursor down left below "image used")

image.png.dd4f304e396610e49cd2f09bfb400f0a.png

I'd say this is quite nice. Especially, that the as char embedded pixel image is liquified, too, and can be accessed as an editable pixel frame within the liquified text frame.

8 minutes ago, NoSi said:

Did I mention that all frame operation shown in the video above can be done with any frame type? Besides vector this is pixel and text, and pixelframe used as char in a textframe:

No doubt, it is very desireable to have such functionallity in AD, too. Thanks for posting the samples. That way everyone gets an idea on what this is all about 🙂

d.

Lack of this feature is a big pain for me - it's requested for like last 3 (or more?) years and still not much going on. Whenever I try to design a logo I'm frustrated. I understand that it may be difficult to implement and properely intergate  with rest of AD, however I'd personally preffer to see this delivered rather than stuff like integration with stock photo services...

My current workaround is to make distorted shapes in Inkscape (free, open source), and then load created .svg to AD. I'm just a hobbyst so can live with that workflow because I really like "rest" of AD, but come on... commercial tool for vector graphics, that is positioned in many places as potential Adobe alternative, without basic feature like that...

Edited by Tonzler

On 9/6/2020 at 11:07 AM, CLC said:

You can also use Vector Styler for Mac, that is currently in a free beta.
It's such a nice, feature packed tool that I have to mention it.

It's got everything from envelope warp, mesh warp, path warp, select by..., gradient mesh, whatever you think of, it's probably there. It's a bit slower on older Macs, but it's worth trying I believe.

I was a little apprehensive because of the price (free) but it might help in an quick emergency. At first impression it felt ported straight out of GNOME in Linux it even has the preferences shortcut different from the universal ⌘, I exported something in SVG from Designer, set Little Snitch to in Ketamine paranoic mode and launched it. The 2 object SVG was loaded as a 14layer file, the UI has a feel to Adobe's or something I've seen before, anyway to my surprise it turn out that it was Designer who exported all of those layers.

They were very hard to edit on Vector something something so I exported a simpler version, and just when I was getting impatient I found the tool. As I said, for emergencies it should be fine. The app is way too glitchy though, and UX things need a little work, like dragging an object and holding it while scrolling though a list. This was a big draw to the Mac when I first switched, considering Vector SumSum is targeted/exclusive to the Mac, they should probably address the quality of life things that Mac users generally seek. That's getting killed by Apple fast now, but in the meantime…

Up until just now that I saw how night and day it is from Affinity Designer it just also made me realize why Affinity D is so good, even Adobe's phonehoming terabyte-sized install mess has some quirks to it that make it seems like the program was done in Java--y'know how Java things have this quality to them that they never fully blend with the OS. I'm very curious of what's the team making Designer made of. UX/UI/Graphic Engineers/Designers? Programmers? Photographers? That won't let me sleep now. 😪

On 9/29/2020 at 1:34 AM, vitaprimo said:

I was a little apprehensive because of the price (free)

VectorStyler is only "free" right now because it is in beta prior to the official first release - Serif did that with Publisher too...

It won't be free once it is released, but there has been no indication so far of how it will be priced.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Arceom said:

Not against them making money at all, they have to play their cards well cause these are single purchase software

I don’t think so, if they want to make money they had fixed the pixel brushes on iPad. It could had been an unique app combining vector and pixel but they don’t had taken this opportunity. The vector market share on Desktop and iPad is already lost to Vectornator and Illustrator. Their focus seems to be Affinity Publisher and transition to Apple Silicon.

3 hours ago, Arceom said:

I'm pretty much convinced distortions, image trace and patter tools are features they are holding back to make people buy v2 

I believe that very first version of Designer should have had at least a very very basic, destructive, vector distortion capability then there'd be less people like me having a top moan about waiting 5 years and all that, I'm sure they want to knock our socks off with a non-destructive capability, but 5 years blah blah blah....

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk