You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Free Transform, Perspective & Warp Tools

Sorry, this isn't a constructive post but just adding another voice asking "why on earth wasn't this in v1.0 (or before)?".

I've used Designer from the very first public betas and I can't believe that the functionality promised back in 2017 still isn't here, when it's a fundamental part of vector design. Something I used to be able to take for granted in Illustrator ten years ago and is a feature of virtually every other vector software is completely missing from Designer.

Don't get me wrong, I love Designer and use it almost every day for commercial work, but having to load something else to do one basic job is just dumb. What is it about Affinity developers that mean they can't do what everybody else can? What is it about Affinity managers that made them think this was fine to leave off the feature list? I only live down the road from Serif, maybe I should go and knock on their door and ask (from an appropriate 'social distance' of course).

1 hour ago, Fingermouse said:

Don't get me wrong, I love Designer and use it almost every day for commercial work, but having to load something else to do one basic job is just dumb. What is it about Affinity developers that mean they can't do what everybody else can? What is it about Affinity managers that made them think this was fine to leave off the feature list?

You also love your wife/girlfriend/husband/girlfriend "as he/she is" and have accepted that "change requests" are pointless (what everyone in a relationship knows who holds on because of other reasons). Therefore, you may be sending out the wrong signals. If you »love Designer«, the management and/or development can add a »...as is" and everything is done, 😉

3 hours ago, NoSi said:

You also love your wife/girlfriend/husband/girlfriend "as he/she is" and have accepted that "change requests" are pointless (what everyone in a relationship knows who holds on because of other reasons). Therefore, you may be sending out the wrong signals. If you »love Designer«, the management and/or development can add a »...as is" and everything is done, 😉

People dump people and software for something better all the time. The ultimate signal. When the hope for change fades.

Hype followed by no hope is a contrast that is rarely awarded.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 6/25/2020 at 4:02 PM, Xzenor said:

I'm curious if the developers even watch the feature requests here.. they're not joining the conversation, that's for sure. 

Sometimes is »saying nothing« tremendously loud…

22 hours ago, Jowday said:

People dump people and software for something better all the time.

People dump people and software for something. Whether "something" is better clarifies with some delay. It's 50:50 getting it worse.

On 6/25/2020 at 10:02 AM, Xzenor said:

I'm curious if the developers even watch the feature requests here.. they're not joining the conversation, that's for sure. 

They don't normally respond to them but they do read them.

That has been repeated numerous times throughout the forums, along with explanations.

On 6/25/2020 at 12:51 PM, Fingermouse said:

Sorry, this isn't a constructive post but just adding another voice asking "why on earth wasn't this in v1.0 (or before)?".

I've used Designer from the very first public betas and I can't believe that the functionality promised back in 2017 still isn't here, when it's a fundamental part of vector design. Something I used to be able to take for granted in Illustrator ten years ago and is a feature of virtually every other vector software is completely missing from Designer.

Don't get me wrong, I love Designer and use it almost every day for commercial work, but having to load something else to do one basic job is just dumb. What is it about Affinity developers that mean they can't do what everybody else can? What is it about Affinity managers that made them think this was fine to leave off the feature list? I only live down the road from Serif, maybe I should go and knock on their door and ask (from an appropriate 'social distance' of course).

When we talking vector features on desktop version of Affinity Designer, I can in some way agree that we miss a few tools/features, but, if we look at the iPad evertyhing change...

After ten years with iPads we still don’t have one single app that have warp transition and other requested functionalities from end users...

Why? After ten years of development the best we have is Affinity, so, It not that easy to implement this features...

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

17 minutes ago, Xzenor said:

We're not.

Screenshot_20200627-181708.jpg

Yeah, my excuse, but, what I wanted to say is that the iPad version of Affinity Designer is almost 99.5% of the desktop version, holds the same developing tempo, and, is lacking the same features...

If it were easy to implement requested features Serif may have done it already on every platform, but, something is holding them back...

Perhaps 2.0 in the future will be a massive update and an Illustrator/Corel Draw killer ;-)

Happy amateur that playing around with the Affinity Suite - really love typograhics, photographing, colors & forms, AND, Synthesizers!

Macbook Pro 16” M1 2021, iPad Pro 12.9” M1 2021, iPad Pro 10.5” A10X 2017, iMac 27” 5K/i7 late 2015…

11 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

When we talking vector features on desktop version of Affinity Designer, I can in some way agree that we miss a few tools/features, but, if we look at the iPad evertyhing change...

After ten years with iPads we still don’t have one single app that have warp transition and other requested functionalities from end users...

Why? After ten years of development the best we have is Affinity, so, It not that easy to implement this features...

Free Transform is not a feature that is difficult to implement. It is simply a matrix multiplication, which is almost identical in code to rotation or scaling. Also, clearly code already exists to do this on a pixel image, because that's a feature that is available in Photo.

This also would not be related to the platform this is implemented on, I'm almost completely certain that all the drawing code is shared between iPad and Mac versions.

As with all software development, it's a question of prioritisation of limited resources (developer time), and Affinity have unfortunately made the decision that this feature is less important than many others. 🤷‍♂️ 

On 6/25/2020 at 1:16 PM, NoSi said:

We pay Serif money in exchange for a product.... your metaphor is most relevant to a hooker/john relationship. It is arguable that some would complain about a shoddy **** job, but I’m not sure the developers would be comfortable with the comparison.

Edited by Patrick Connor

1 hour ago, Mark Freeman said:

We pay Serif money in exchange for a product.... your metaphor is most relevant to a hooker/john relationship. It is arguable that some would complain about a shoddy **** job, but I’m not sure the developers would be comfortable with the comparison.

I'm not sure Serif would be "comfortable" with your "shoddy ..." statement either.

There are young persons whom inhabit the forums, too.

9 hours ago, Artsketch said:

There should be a statement if this feature is on the todo list. Are Vectornator or Graphic offering free transform?

Non of above software do free transform...

And, as I earlier said, there is no software whatsoever on iPad that’s deliver vector free transform (warping)...

18 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

the iPad version of Affinity Designer is almost 99.5% of the desktop version

The underlying engine might be there, but there are a number of key features for which the UI is completely lacking - for examples:

• Global colors
  • Rulers
  • Tiled / n-Up printing

• 2 weeks later...

I've been borrowing a friends computer to try out Affinity Designer as I heard good things about it. I started to think that having my own software could be a worthwhile investment. Then after just a week of working with it I find this. 

I"ve decided not to buy. 

5 hours ago, ajpearceUK said:

I've been borrowing a friends computer to try out Affinity Designer as I heard good things about it. I started to think that having my own software could be a worthwhile investment. Then after just a week of working with it I find this. 

I"ve decided not to buy. 

OK, so you started a new account here just to say just that?

And, why borrow someone elses computer when the whole Affinity Suite can be downloaded as a 10 days trial version without any restrictions?

Once in a while I can’t understand other people in this world...

12 hours ago, AffinityMakesMeSmile said:

Once in a while I can’t understand other people in this world...

I do. It is reasonable to save your own computer against being flooded with setup entries etc.  If there is the option to try out something on another system using it is a good alternative.

Telling a community personal impressions is the basic operation of all digital communities. I also created a forum account before the purchase. I too didn't buy Designer – because I read the entries, asked questions, … – this is a major use of communities: discussing, offering personal opinions, asking for help, … – what is your use of it? Lifting the manufacturer above any doubt and emphasize that you are satisfied?  

From my point of view this would be useless information because it would be only about you. I know that there are forums where member primarily post information to put themselves in a good light and to be applaused for it. But up to now I do not have the impression that this is the reason for discussing here.

Therefore, I can well understand the drive why people want to share their opinions. As you did.  In regard to the actual topic with a worthless contribution from my point of view.
It's only message seems to be that you can not believe others that are telling their impressions. For my taste this is disrespectful and border-crossing to general forum rules to treat each other with respect.