You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Free Transform, Perspective & Warp Tools

16 hours ago, Mithferion said:

So... anyone wanting to contribute with ideas on how you’d use the vector distortion tool or how you’d like to work with it?

Here is a thread I made to discuss fratures (not the lack of) and considerations on what it should be.

Best regards!

This is not a necessary discussion for a free transform tool. It’s well established how this function works. It’s not a “feature idea”, it’s almost as basic a tool as drawing bezier curves.

Google “illustrator free transform” for quite literally hundreds of different uses.

1 hour ago, maxvolume said:

This is not a necessary discussion for a free transform tool. It’s well established how this function works. It’s not a “feature idea”, it’s almost as basic a tool as drawing bezier curves.

Google “illustrator free transform” for quite literally hundreds of different uses.

How do you know that the Developers know what you are expecting? I don’t like taking anything for granted, do you?

Best regards!

4 hours ago, Mithferion said:

How do you know that the Developers know what you are expecting? I don’t like taking anything for granted, do you?

Best regards!

That’s a fair enough question, but yes, I do take it for granted in this case, it’s really that basic a function.

The feature is also already implemented (destructively) in Photo, so the developers definitely know what we are asking for.

3 hours ago, maxvolume said:

That’s a fair enough question, but yes, I do take it for granted in this case, it’s really that basic a function.

Putting aside that, in my opinion, it's an intermediate feature that it's widely used, the scope of Free Transform, Perspective & Warp Tools can go deeper.

3 hours ago, maxvolume said:

The feature is also already implemented (destructively) in Photo, so the developers definitely know what we are asking for

Yes, and I'd would add:

• It's part of what we are asking for.

And that's the thing, when we talk about Free Transform, Perspective & Warp Tools, you have something in mind, but there are others that need something different. In the thread I started, there are 4 Types of Distortions, from which you only need 2. If they don't develop the other 2, a good part of the community would still ask for those features, and that's as fair as the other features requests.

I know I'm being redundant, but I think it's improtant to discuss the worflows of the feature,s because if there is no clear understanding, frustration about this topic will remain.

Best regards!

+1 for free transform of course.

I'm sorry to say this, but I think Mr. @Jowday is right. He may be a little bit bit upset, but you can't ignore the fact that despite so many posts and requests producer bravely does not respond to them.

And this is not about returning 50 bucks. (it was just low)
Producer set such price. As a customer, Mr @Jowday and others too, are  justified in expecting at least a fair answer. 

Are they planning to add such functionality or not? Nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe someone from the Affinity team could respond to these requests?
Don't get me wrong. I love Affinity suite, but sometimes it would be nice to see that they take voices of customers seriously.
That our proposals do not end up in moderator's trashcan.

On 5/2/2020 at 7:44 AM, ErrkaPetti said:

As usual, mr @Jowday is criticize Affinity Designer, a matter of facts, almost every reply mr Jowday is writing is a negative judgement about Serif Labs...

Yeah, we have heard it before, you paid 50 bucks for Designer for five years ago, and still waiting for more upgrades, because you’re so professional and need this features...

Mr Jowday, if it is possible, give me a chance to pay you back your 50 bucks and then we can get rid of your endless vining about Affinity Suite...

Can’t still believe that you have time to be here after all this years, stay with Adobe CC and the crap Inkscape and leave us alone...

How can I pay you 50$ - DM me your choice of transferring...

I guess I can't find anything in @Jowday comments which indicates an inherent desire to criticize. Indeed "whining" it is not. 
No reason to take this stuff personally, even in a pandemic great eclipse !

I'd very much like to hear what, if any, timeline exists for this app.

There's enormous potential, but software needs developer hours and weeks. It doesn't continue to grow and mature by itself 🙂

As a type designer, in 1985, I was a beta tester for one of the very first vector design apps, Altsys Fontographer. I later worked with Adobe on Illustrator, Freehand, and InDesign, over the years. The desire for a good tool that behaves as expected is not whining, it's just wanting to be constructive and productive.

Attached, a little bit of digital/analog evaluation. I studied letter carving in stone many years ago (before fontographer, even!), But I've done very little of it since then.

To help keep from losing the form, one must constantly take a rubbing of  the stone, and evaluate. This is a sort of digital rubbing 🙂

B296E2E3-7904-4DE8-BDFF-D427CFE5F2CA.png

489CB19D-4BF7-4134-8DE6-43C0F96973BD.png

4 hours ago, PFraterdeus said:

I guess I can't find anything in @Jowday comments which indicates an inherent desire to criticize. Indeed "whining" it is not. 
No reason to take this stuff personally, even in a pandemic great eclipse !

I'd very much like to hear what, if any, timeline exists for this app.

There's enormous potential, but software needs developer hours and weeks. It doesn't continue to grow and mature by itself 🙂

As a type designer, in 1985, I was a beta tester for one of the very first vector design apps, Altsys Fontographer. I later worked with Adobe on Illustrator, Freehand, and InDesign, over the years. The desire for a good tool that behaves as expected is not whining, it's just wanting to be constructive and productive.

Attached, a little bit of digital/analog evaluation. I studied letter carving in stone many years ago (before fontographer, even!), But I've done very little of it since then.

To help keep from losing the form, one must constantly take a rubbing of  the stone, and evaluate. This is a sort of digital rubbing 🙂

@ErrkaPetti You are not contributing to anything in this world with your childish responses and childish fanboy behavior. Fanaticism and love are not the same. Remember your account and posts on the Adobe forum although you are not a customer and do not use their software? And the forum rejecting you and your posts as pointless? You could learn a lot from the more mature response from @PFraterdeus No further comments.

=== ~~~ ===

And @PFraterdeus thank you for the more... realistic evaluation of my motives etc. and your own opinion.

Interesting. I always found typefaces fascinating stuff and I am very impressed by how typefaces are envisioned and created by hand by their creators. The entire proces and the skills involved. A visual language of its own. Every company wants a logo but their own typeface sometimes works even better than logos and colours as a visual identity.

My wife didn't really understand me when we were standing on the The Palatine hill in Rome and I asked her "Are you also thinking about a typeface?" 😀 

Rub on and stay safe, @PFraterdeus ! 🙂

Periodic-table-chart-of-popular-type-typefaces-fonts.jpg

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 7:51 PM, maxvolume said:

Pretty much everyone is looking to get away from Photoshop and Illustrator. That's what I'm doing. I have a list of maybe a dozen features I absolutely require and Affinity manages to hit them all except something as basic as proper transforms. It doesn't look like they care either. All it takes is one thing not working and we're not leaving Adobe. What a missed opportunity.

There's still a window of opportunity for Affinity here .... A hell of a lot of people still use Adobe Fireworks and are extremely disgruntled with Adobe, especially those on Mac who upgrade to Mojave and find out Fireworks will no longer work.... Non-destructive perspective, Free Transform  and some core warp tools like arch, arc, fisheye would seal the deal IMO. Workflow and learning curve in Illustrator and Photoshop are steep, clumsy and don't lend themselves well to long term users of an intuitive tool like Fireworks ..... Add these tools to Designer and Adobe could be dropped completely then and hello Affinity all the way :)

• 2 weeks later...

What about perspective by squeezing Trapezoidal (mirrored move of a single point):

Snag_108bded.png.8fe811bccdb86962ad93cb43a983180a.png

What about placing an image on an object (moving the edges of a frame indipendently):

Snag_10aed50.png.7f6f95e925d62e6434f14656edf0484b.png

I find this neither in Photo nor Designer nor Publisher but several other tools I know. Is there something in sight (from now on time horizon of 6 month)?

(Samples created with a low budget tool I currently use → screenshots from it)

Truly baffling this basic feature is still not in Affinity Designer after years of requests. About ready to move back to Illustrator (but Affinity already got my money so maybe don't care?), one benefit of the subscription model I suppose. Adding my +1! 

How I am going to proceed:

I will buy Designer because it has some very nice features for (small and medium) DTP projects. The current pricing is "unbeatable" for this kind of software and: This price does not hurt.

Photo and Designer do not reach the level that I expect (and require) for my projects – regardless to the price. For things to get done regarding to pixel and vector operations I will stick to Photoline that combines this very good but lacks a little bit with DTP functionality (Mac & Win). It behaves different to the usual "Photoshop clones" and other image tools but it supports everything needed for professional results. Even DTP – the only reason for Publisher is the fact that it is adopted explicitly to this type of work. Photoline can do it but it is somehow harder to achieve good results with much text and some functions are missing or not that nice implemented. But respecting to it's price this is no "brocken promise" or something basic that is missing (like in Designer and Photo). On the contrary: The available functions are much more than what you would expect from a graphics tool. And it supports webp very nice – another lack of ability missing in all Affinity tools (→ Publisher Windows can load, display and process them – surprisingly – what makes it usable for me­).

I’ve signed up to the forums to add my voice to the request for a true Free Transform tool in Designer. Enough of the bush league approach with the current Transform tool. The “Free” or missing aspects to the current offering is a real fail. If a user is going to be able to really go forward with Affinity Designer, and step away from the Adobe thing, a Free Transform tool is a basic must; warp, distort, you know….. a Free Transform tool. Hell, Affinity Photo at least gets the weak version Perspective tool. The Designer vector users have to go begging for an up-grade or out source to another app.

15 hours ago, duh-G said:

I’ve signed up to the forums to add my voice to the request for a true Free Transform tool in Designer.

This is not only a Designer lack. It is as well required in Photo and would ease several things in Publisher. From my point of view it is a "basic tool" that should be available in all three products as a extension of the "arrow" (move) tool. By pressing a modifier key (STRG, CMD, SHIFT, combination out of them) it should be possible to move a single point  (outer corners) or edges (center points) freely. This allows typical 3D transformations and aligning of objects to others.

3 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Photo already offers a raster version of this in the form of the "Perspective" tool.

This is a completly different operation:

1. You have to start a tool instead of operation within the layers directly with the frame.
  2. There is no option for synchronizing corners which is required for parallel shift ("moving edges instead of single points).
  3. There is no option for mirroring the move of opposite corner which is necessary to achieve without hasle a perspective modification pointing to a virtual vanishing point.

Try to achieve this in Photo with perspective tool with two clicks: