You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Free Transform, Perspective & Warp Tools

Free transform / distort feature is essential, we need to know where on the roadmap this feature is. Posted in the other section but hopefully this is where we might get an update response. Without it this software is unsuitable for many tasks and hoped it would have been included in the last release as so many have requested.

"Free vector perspective" and "Free vector extrusion" is a MUST for many professional users.
Without this function, the program can only be used by artists.

I work as a technical illustrator and would be happy to bury CorelDraw and Illustrator.

Just like Affinity Photo has replaced Photoshop.
But unfortunately this is NOT possible without these functions.
I'm looking forward to future updates and uninstall the actual designer demo again...  : - (((

Skew tool is pretty monodimensional.

No vertical skew? No Distort, Warp, Mesh distort? These are all fundamental. This discussion goes back to 2017, for crying out loud. 
What is going on with this???

This is a painter’s app, apparently, not a designer’s.

But even a painter would use a ‘perspective’ warp/distort to adjust elements in the initial sketch.

I sure hope there’s some action happening on these very foundational, very fundamental, essential transforms.

Hi

For the meantime. There is an affordable option
that is maybe not so well known.

But sorry its only for PC.

Have a look at magix (xara) graphic designer , it has
the tools you want and is a good vector companion
for Affinity Designer.

Here is a Post from me, where I show some of its features.
magix (xara) graphics designer features

Greetings
2dpainter

I agree 100%. In fact I have bought the package, and it’s quite useful.

However, the point about the skimpy basic transform operations goes back to at least 2017. There have been inquiries from paying customers all the way through, because these are BASIC tools for a vector design application, going all the way back to Fontographer, the grandmother of Aldus/Macromedia/Adobe Freehand (RIP). I was a beta tester in the late 1980s for Freehand, and Fontographer before that!

But yes. Please support innovative small developers.

But developers, communication is the key... What UP!?!

Thanks!

PF

@ideaswords (IG)

alphabets.com (fonts)

fraterdeus.com

7 hours ago, 2ddpainter said:

Hi

For the meantime. There is an affordable option
that is maybe not so well known.

Have a look at magix (xara) graphic designer , it has
the tools you want and is a good vector companion
for Affinity Designer.

Here is a Post from me, where I show some of its features.
magix (xara) graphics designer features

Greetings
2dpainter

Hmm. Looks good! Too bad it’s not an App! And windows only!? 

Well, thanks for the tip anyway! @2ddpainter

We have apps for this already, although I’m always looking for a truly good alternative to Adobe Illustrator. Now that I don’t have income to justify the subscription, it’s just too expensive!

I bought Affinity Designer (iOS) because overall the design philosophy really seems to cover the bases I need. Being a letterform designer it works all the way up to the last 10m. (three yards, whatever ;-)

I wonder if Affinity folks are just too overwhelmed to deal with the number of comments and requests. Probably.

I have a few requests, and comments.

Is there a beta program?

4 hours ago, PFraterdeus said:

Hmm. Looks good! Too bad it’s not an App! And windows only!? 

Well, thanks for the tip anyway! @2ddpainter

We have apps for this already, although I’m always looking for a truly good alternative to Adobe Illustrator. Now that I don’t have income to justify the subscription, it’s just too expensive!

I bought Affinity Designer (iOS) because overall the design philosophy really seems to cover the bases I need. Being a letterform designer it works all the way up to the last 10m. (three yards, whatever ;-)

I wonder if Affinity folks are just too overwhelmed to deal with the number of comments and requests. Probably.

I have a few requests, and comments.

Is there a beta program?

Hi PFraterdeus

Sorry that i forget to wrote that is PC only.

If you looking for a good IOS vector app
on iPad i recommend the "Graphic" App.

Here a Link:
Graphic App in App Store

"Graphic" works very well and very sensitive
with the Apple Pencil an has nice Features
like step wise copy, rotation, scaling and
also an vector eraser. For 10 Euros there
is nothing to complain about it.

There is also a Version of "Graphic" for MacOS.
Graphic for MacOS

Another Tip is the "Concepts" App
a kind of vector App with Bitmap like Brushes
and with a inifinite Canvas.

But "Graphic" will be the better Vector App.

Greetings
2ddpainter

Rolling my eyes. We are not supporting a poor company in a third world country that hasn't got the funds to implement such features before several years pass. Affinity got both a lot of attention and hype and went far beyond a critical mass of paying customers. They are doing just fine. Wake up and smell the coffee!

This is not a kickstarter. You are paying customers and remember that this company is decades old and made similar more mature software with these features until recently (plus series). Did so for many years. You don't have these features because someone decided you shouldn't. Yet. Or ever. You don't know. It is all about business priorities and scaling. Designer obviously gets the least attention and features. I still don't believe Serif has the vector expertise or the required number of developers with this expertise to push Designer further in bigger steps than we have seen (tiny steps). I don't see the evidence. Publishing software was always Serifs pet project and flagship product so lets see if Designer ever gets the love and features it needs to become more than a tool for digital painters (bitmap). Niche software. Half of Designer - the pixel features - are shared with Photo. 99% of vector brushes are in fact pixel brushes. The other half is so feature weak it is depressing. The toolbar in the designer persona is mostly shapes. Shapes!

So it it perfectly valid to air criticism and wishes here. The very high number of posts with feature requests and customers asking in disbelief why nothing happened about this and that yet tells a story about where Designer should go to evolve and serve existing and potential customers. Stiff opposition from a core base of forum users (of which ever so few are more than hobby users with simple hobby needs and no insight whatsoever into more professional use and needs) is just not what is needed for Serif or from the customers requesting these features. It is ludicrous. 

Cheap doesn't matter. As a vector drawing program Designer is not cheap because it has so few and just basic vector features. It doesn't cost "coconut money" whatever that is. Possibly an offensive term in Sweden. Designer is a simple product and you get only what you pay for. Not much more. Besides the great user interface that Serif really did well. Many small programs are actually often overpriced when you see how much you get for four times the price in professional software. But you will never reach that level of knowledge without experience and expertise. What REALLY is expensive in the short and especially long term is workarounds. Again something hobbyists doesn't see or feel.

So let the customers voice their concerns, wishes, criticism and input. Let Serif handle its unsatisfied (potential) customers and communicate the reasons for this and that. In a more professional tone. 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Hi @ErrkaPetti

I reacted with my "graphics" tip on the Post from ashf
where he wrote about Xara "Hmm. Looks good! Too bad
it's not an app! And windows only!?"

I understand that this is may be a wrong post here.
So than sorry for that.

But i dont understand this comment from you:
"Affinity Designer on both iOS and Mac/Windows is miles
  ahead this Graphic crap"

By the way I own Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo
on Desktop and IOS and like both very much.

Graphic still run fine on my iPad and have some Features
that Affinity Designer do not have.

So, a more differentiated commentary would be nice.

So... anyone wanting to contribute with ideas on how you’d use the vector distortion tool or how you’d like to work with it?

Here is a thread I made to discuss fratures (not the lack of) and considerations on what it should be.

Best regards!

Something that reminds me very much to Graphic on Macs, but additionally also offers at least some free transform, symmetrical distortion and free distortion of vector shapes, is Amadine. - Though actually it only supports MacOS 10.12 or higher and thus doesn't run on older OSX systems. When it was in beta state I recall that it also worked with MacOS 10.11, but they changed their build and the sys requirements over release time.

However from the above sketched, another important point for some people might be thus also system (OS version) backward compatibility and here the Affinity apps are actually still fine with that so far.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2