You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image not shown in Publisher's Resource Manager!?

I have several images in a publisher document. One of the images is not displayed in the Resource Manager. Is that a bug or can there be a case where an image does not show up in the Resource Manager? If Yes, how can I see and possibly change if the image is embedded or linked!?

23 minutes ago, rpnfan said:

I have several images in a publisher document. One of the images is not displayed in the Resource Manager. Is that a bug or can there be a case where an image does not show up in the Resource Manager? If Yes, how can I see and possibly change if the image is embedded or linked!?

What do you see in the Layers panel for that image?

For it to show up in the Resources Manager it would need to show as a (Image), (Linked Document), or (Embedded Document).

Edit: Actually, it can also be just (Image). Sorry.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Further to what Walt has said if you copy and paste a picture it won't be in the Resource Manager.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

11 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Further to what Walt has said if you copy and paste a picture it won't be in the Resource Manager.

They are when I try it, Bruce.

I have tried both of these:

1. Place an image, then copy it and paste it on another page. Both are in the Resource Manager, but there is a parent entry with two children.
  2. Copy an image elsewhere, then Paste it into a Publisher document. Again, it show up in the Resource Manager.

(I'm using the 1.8.4 beta, in case that makes a difference.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I think I copied all images in the same way (drag 'n drop). But I am not 100 % sure.

The "missing" picture is listed as (Pixel), while the images which show up in the Resource Manager are listed as (Image) in the Layer Panel. BTW, the latter are linked images. I don't remember if I had it that way from the beginning or changed later. But that should not make a difference, shouldn't it?

4 minutes ago, rpnfan said:

The "missing" picture is listed as (Pixel),

Then it has been rasterized, and is no longer Linked nor Embedded. And thus is not in the Resource Manager.

-- Walt
PC:

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

They are when I try it, Bruce.

I have tried both of these:

1. Place an image, then copy it and paste it on another page. Both are in the Resource Manager, but there is a parent entry with two children.
  2. Copy an image elsewhere, then Paste it into a Publisher document. Again, it show up in the Resource Manager.

(I'm using the 1.8.4 beta, in case that makes a difference.)

When you say elsewhere do you mean from Photo or some other totally different application as opposed to a Publisher document.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

7 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

When you say elsewhere do you mean from Photo or some other totally different application as opposed to a Publisher document.

From Firefox, for example.

But it also works if I copy an (Image) layer from Photo. It won't work, of course, if one copies a (Pixel) layer.

-- Walt
PC:

Mmh, I don't get that concept. An image from a camera is always rasterized in pixels. At least in the digital world. We don't "paint" with silver halides any longer usually ;-)

I watched the explanation video to pixel vs image layers. My "missing" image was also changed with the Inpainting-Tool. So at this moment -- when an operation is destructive -- the image turns into a pixel layer. So I now watched the next video how to do that non-destructive. 🙂

Thanks for the help.

34 minutes ago, rpnfan said:

An image from a camera is always rasterized in pixels.

Yes, but Affinity applications have raster (pixel) objects and vector (non-pixel) objects. Linked or Embedded iages are shown as (Image) layers which are non-pixel layers, and a kind of vector layer. You cannot select individual pixels in them for example.

You will find many posts from users who are confused about whi they can't make a marquee pixel selection on an (Image) layer, Copy, and Paste just the selected pixels. It's because there are no selected pixels. the same would happen if they tried to make a pixel selection and Delete the selection. The entire layer is deleted, as there are no pixels in that layer.

-- Walt
PC: