You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move Tool Not Moving My Selected Items?

Hi, I am a long time photoshop user who just switched to Affinity Photo, and I am having some issues. It used to be in photoshop when you use something like the selection tool, you could click and drag your object, inverse the selection, or right click to cut/copy the selected part of the layer, but now, it seems all of those options for me are missing. Rarely does clicking and dragging actually move my selected item. Most of the time, it moves the entire layer. The only work around I can get to work is masking the selected part, but that creates a pain for me cause then I have an extra mask layer. Can someone tell me if there is something I am missing here? Thanks you.

3 hours ago, Zach Nichols said:

Most of the time, it moves the entire layer.

Pixel layer, not Image layer? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff

Are you using the Move tool to draw a selection around objects to move/resize or are you using one of the Selection tools? If you just want to select and move, use the Move tool to click drag a selection and then move.

If you can expand on your workflow a little bit more a better solution may be available.

• 2 months later...

Affinity Designer move tool glitch? The move tool no longer moves a selected object in real time. AD

1- select object with move tool

2- move object with move tool

3- The spinning wheel appears 

4-  12-15 seconds later the object jumps to its new place

A.Designer v 1.8.3, vector persona, 2019 27" iMac, OS 10.15.5

Obviously this delay is not acceptable. Any solutions?

(Sorry, can't take screen shot while the wheel is spinning)

UPDATE: just reinstalled the app and it's working again.

Edited by SS Gilbert
updated information

> (Sorry, can't take screen shot while the wheel is spinning)

If you leave the app and switch to the macOS Finder or QuickTime.app then screenshooting works even if another app shows a beachball.

> UPDATE: just reinstalled the app and it's working again.

I wonder whether a app restart or mac reboot would have solved it, too. Different to other apps in my experience I got UI glitches when using Affinity (most often beta versions) without rebooting after its first installation.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 5 months later...

Hi Guys. I noticed you're having problem with move tool. 

Strangely, when I use move or node tool to select, it is not working properly. Notice in my video that it is selecting objects that I didn't select. 

Is it a settings problem? Can you help me? 

Thank you.

Check the made selections in the layers panel too, aka if layers are there shown as being really selected before trying to move them around.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Did you changed anything under preferences for the default tools settings?

Tools options

• Choose whether an object is added to a selection when partially covered by the selection marquee or whether it has to be encompassed by the marquee.
  • Move Tool Aspect Constrain—controls the default constraining behaviour when resizing objects using the Move Tool. Select from the pop-up menu.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 years later...