You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Quick way to enlarge an image for bleed with the "right coloured" pixels - in Publisher or Photo?

In the case one needs bleed for a print publication, but the image (photo) is already "just the right size" and no larger uncropped version is available I am looking for a way to generate "meaningful coloured" pixels around the original crop. This could be done by duplication, inpainting or similar methods. I am looking for a quick way to automate this process:

→ enlarge photo canvas

→ copy / inpaint the new empty part of the canvas

The copy could actual be one of

•  move or mirror a small part of the image at the border
  • or by simply duplicating the last pixel at the border

Do you know of a macro to do that? A context aware solution would be killer of course!

Or the dream option would be to have Publisher offer an option to automatically generate "bleed-pixels" for images which are set to the border of the visible page (trim box in PDF speech) on a per image or document basis.

P.S.: How good the match of this newly generated bleed part would not be too critical, because in most cases the physical page border will be not to different than the trim box. So in most cases no or very little of the extra bleed pixels will be visible.

Answering my own question partly:

Inpainting can be automized like I want. But I do not see how I can enlarge an (image)-Object or (pixel)-Object with a transparent border. I can change the canvas size of the complete document, but this is not what I want / need here... Any ideas?

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Why not enlarging the canvas only on the needed side if you're in AP?

And if you're in APub, you can go in the Photo persona, dupplicate, rasterize, inpaint part of the image you need in an image frame (you need to go to the Layers panel and select the image inside).