You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pencil Tool - still difficult to handle

hi there,

I'd like to share my experience with the Pencil tool, and I think this is related to a bug topic,

first, I notice nice improvement when you convert shapes to curves. Very awesome, thanks to the team efforts 😊

But when I need to use Pencil tool. it still doesn't work as I'd like to use.
eg. trying to close the curves, they doesn't happen so well.

then I need to always activate the sculpt mode.
however doesn't work easily (as you can see on the video).

eg. When you draw a shape, the beginning and the end of each shape drawn, adds more points, making the curve not optimised, taken even more time to fix it.

as I use affinity everyday, I come only when I see a tool that I use all the time would need to have a bit more of attention. 

for now I suggest to my students and followers to use the pen tool,
easy to close the shape and very well optimised.

SUGGESTIONS (for this topic)
Pencil tool (quick draw mode) it draws the shape (example shown at the end of the video)

Clear Shape Option (Reduces the amount of nodes created, making the shape clear to adjust)

add Keyboard Shortcuts for the Close the Curve and shortcuts to the ToolBar buttons, would be awesome as well.

Please take in consideration this topic for the next upcoming improvements

Jhon

Learn more: 🔴Youtube: Vectorize with Jhon
Follow me:      📷 Instagram     |    :227_bird: Twitter   |  📘  Facebook
Free Affinity Assets: https://gumroad.com/jhonsilva

• 5 weeks later...
On 4/21/2020 at 12:02 AM, desult said:

Please just make it automatically close the curve. If Use Fill is checked, it should close the curve. Why would I ever want to draw a filled shape without it being closed? 

would be nice as well, thanks for comment and support this enhancement

Learn more: 🔴Youtube: Vectorize with Jhon
Follow me:      📷 Instagram     |    :227_bird: Twitter   |  📘  Facebook
Free Affinity Assets: https://gumroad.com/jhonsilva

On 4/18/2020 at 6:20 PM, Jhonatan S Silva said:

SUGGESTIONS (for this topic)
Pencil tool (quick draw mode) it draws the shape (example shown at the end of the video)

Clear Shape Option (Reduces the amount of nodes created, making the shape clear to adjust)

add Keyboard Shortcuts for the Close the Curve and shortcuts to the ToolBar buttons, would be awesome as well.

Please take in consideration this topic for the next upcoming improvements

On 4/21/2020 at 5:02 AM, desult said:

Please just make it automatically close the curve. If Use Fill is checked, it should close the curve. Why would I ever want to draw a filled shape without it being closed? 

+1/ It would be a great improvement

• 1 year later...

You can close the Curve by using the Add boolean operation (which in turn can be used via a shortcut, but it will create a Compund).

Best regards!

It would be great if "Close Curve" was a toggle option on the Pencil Tool.  The reason I propose it being an option is because there are cases where I would like to have the curve closed, but a lot of the time I don't want to have the curve closed.  For these times, it would be quite a lot of extra work to add in the points to break the curve just to delete/remove the unwanted closure.  I think having an option would provide the flexibility needed to support more illustration use cases.

833884856_CloseCurveOption.thumb.png.785f6b91d194f374aef9d8bcd1936073.png

8 hours ago, Actionscript said:

It would be great if "Close Curve" was a toggle option on the Pencil Tool.

If you press the Ctrl key (Windows; possibly Cmd on Mac) you'll temporarily switch the Pencil Tool to the Node Tool, which has a Close Curve function on the Context Toolbar. That might help.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

19 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you press the Ctrl key (Windows; possibly Cmd on Mac) you'll temporarily switch the Pencil Tool to the Node Tool, which has a Close Curve function on the Context Toolbar. That might help.

Though that is accurate, in this context it is a function that would ideally be automatic as you draw each stroke without having to rely on the Node Tool.