You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to do page up/down using Mac keyboard??

The standard/usual Mac (wireless) keyboard does not have page-up/down keys.  For all other applications the combination cmd-up/down-arrow works, but not for Affinioty Publisher.  How can users like me do page-up/down?

If the standard keyboard shortcuts don't work for you, you can change them in your Publisher Preferences:
image.png.a97140479060f2d2c4580584e72a0afe.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I think there's also a Preference to use the default Mac shortcuts. I'm not sure where it is, though, as I'm on Windows. Could be on the General tab, User Interface, or Tools (if it's not on the Keyboard Shortcuts tab).

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I think there's also a Preference to use the default Mac shortcuts. I'm not sure where it is, though, as I'm on Windows. Could be on the General tab, User Interface, or Tools (if it's not on the Keyboard Shortcuts tab).

Keyboard shortcuts tab.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 month later...

The "next page" and "previous page" keyboard shortcuts above seem to have been removed form the preferences in v1.8.3!  Have they been moved and renamed - I cannot find them and so am back without being able to do page up/down!

2 hours ago, AndyS said:

The "next page" and "previous page" keyboard shortcuts above seem to have been removed form the preferences in v1.8.3!  Have they been moved and renamed - I cannot find them and so am back without being able to do page up/down!

They should still be there; make sure you're looking in the right section of the Keyboard Shortcuts and you should be able to view or change them.

Alternatively, just to view what they are currently set to, you should also find them in the Document menu:

image.png.6d9c8dcb8333770f7198323564879060.png

-- Walt
PC:

This is what I see...   No next or previous page but various "master" actions.  Its almost likie it thinks its dealing with master pages (the pages I have on-screen are NOT master pages, although they have had a master page applied).

Screenshot 2020-06-07 at 14.18.21.png

14 minutes ago, AndyS said:

No next or previous page but various "master" actions.  Its almost likie it thinks its dealing with master pages (the pages I have on-screen are NOT master pages, although they have had a master page applied).

You'll see that if you have a Master Page selected in the Pages studio panel, regardless of what is displayed on the screen. Don't worry about it; the same shortcut applies whether you're dealing with Master pages or document pages. (And you'll see the same behavior in the Document menu.)

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks Walt.  I DID have a normal page (not a master page) selected in the Pages Studio panel!  I made sure of it but still only got the master-page type keyboard actions listed.   However when I came back to it next day (so after restarting my iMac) I do now see the non-master pages keyboard actions listed and have been able to add the 2 wanted.

19 minutes ago, AndyS said:

Thanks Walt.  I DID have a normal page (not a master page) selected in the Pages Studio panel!  I made sure of it but still only got the master-page type keyboard actions listed.   However when I came back to it next day (so after restarting my iMac) I do now see the non-master pages keyboard actions listed and have been able to add the 2 wanted.

Glad it's working now.

Note that the Pages panel can be confusing, as the behavior of what is selected depends on whether you double-click or single-click on a page. It is possible to have a Master Page selected in the Pages panel by double-clicking it, even though you have subsequently single-clicked on a document page in the panel. But it would take a screenshot of the Pages panel, including both the Master page section and the document page section, to confirm. Having the status bar visible would also help.

-- Walt
PC:

On 6/7/2020 at 8:37 AM, walt.farrell said:

You'll see that if you have a Master Page selected in the Pages studio panel, regardless of what is displayed on the screen.

FWIW, on my iMac running APub 1.8.3 on Mojave, the keyboard shortcuts panel always shows first, previous, next, & last page, not master.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Generally mac kbd uses FN + arrow up/down. That does NOT work in Publisher.

Instead Publisher has in Document menu Previous Page and Next Page with visible shortcut CMD + arrow up/down WHICH DO NOT WORK EITHER. (This surely is a bug.)

I found you can use FN + CMD + arrow up/down which works.

3 minutes ago, Fixx said:

Generally mac kbd uses FN + arrow up/down. That does NOT work in Publisher.

Instead Publisher has in Document menu Previous Page and Next Page with visible shortcut CMD + arrow up/down WHICH DO NOT WORK EITHER. (This surely is a bug.)

I found you can use FN + CMD + arrow up/down which works.

I think it really depends on the OS system preferences Keyboard settings regarding how you have the function keys set.

861857484_ScreenShot2020-06-11at5_16_58AM.png.b9b7245b8a871928fd18cd0774b035ac.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

17 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I think it really depends on the OS system preferences Keyboard settings regarding how you have the function keys set.

Yes, those can override application shortcuts I think. But I do not have any CMD+arrow up/down assigned in system preferences.

Thanks to the information further up this thread I have set Publisher to use the same FN + arrow up/down as other Mac apps.  Makes life simpler to keep Publisher consistent 😊

(I see no reason why this should be teh default, but maybe Mac users who have the full keyboard with page-up/down keys dont need it.)