You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have had Affinity Photo and Designer for about a year, and recently added Publisher during the sale event. I really REALLY want to love this product. But here's the problem: Every time I use the pen tool to trace out an image for selection, the app crashes to desktop before I get very far into the project.  This is a memory management issue & really should have been worked out of the code by now.  This has happened to me in Photo and Designer for the entire time I've owned these products. This really makes it unusable for me, as this is really a basic function that should never be an issue.  If it's not dealt with, then I have to continue my quest for a good RELIABLE suite of image manipulation software.  I realize my money is spent & likely wasted, but under the circumstances I simply cannot recommend Affinity.

Regards ~Al

24 minutes ago, Al Pence said:

I realize my money is spent & likely wasted, but under the circumstances I simply cannot recommend Affinity.

Can you clarify if you actually want some help with this problem or if you just posted to vent your frustration at this time 

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Affinity has sold millions of licences for its software, yet problems like yours are very few. I would bet that you have a peculiar combination of hardware and software that has has triggered your crash. If you really want help from staff or  forum members, then you need to provide as much information as possible, such as: Operating System and version, CPU and speed, RAM, Disk size and space, GPU including gpu memory. It might help to invoke the system monitor to tell you how much RAM is being used as your program is being used (ctrl-alt-del on Windows). Ideally a video record of your crash would also help.

It would also help to give a meaningful title to your thread rather than your user name. I would suggest "Crash when using the pen tool"

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Actually, there is a certain amount of venting due, but I would truthfully like to solve this issue and continue using AP/AD.  And it appears that the title is in fact relevant. So here goes:

AMD A10-7700K APU with Radeon R7 Graphics 3.8 GHz, 8Gb RAM
Win 10 64 bit x64 based processor,  Ver. 1903, Build 18362.778

This issue only seems to occur for me when using the pen tool (both Photo and Designer) when I'm pretty deep into tracing images for masking. App crashes with no warning, no grey-out, not responding message, or crash report option. Just disappears to desktop.  This has been happening through several updates now.  I currently run 1.8.3.641. I don't recall what my starting version was, but I've gone through quite a few updates now.  I saw a thread on another board similar to the issue I'm having, and it seemed as though the speed of clicks x number of nodes in the curve induced crashes.  The user found a work-around (sort of) but it seemed kind of fiddley to me. 

I looked around in Preferences >> Performance and notice that RAM usage limit is factory set at 8192M,  It seems absurdly low. Could that be a cause?  I've not changed it thus far until I know it won't cause me other issues.

• Staff

Hi Al Pence,

Any chance of getting a screen recording of the issue?

I think i've found the other thread you mentioned and that issue was resolved a while back.  It's possible it's come but one way of see if that is the case, do you get the crash if you work more slowly, that's if you are working quickly to begin with.