You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher crashes when resizing images

My Mac (System Info attached) crashes when resizing images in Affinity publisher.

I am working in a 140MB file with 400 pages (24x33cm) filled with images (all linked with a total of less than 10GB). However I am experiencing crashes when resizing images.

Crash report attached: Affinity Publisher_2020-04-18-153621_MacBook-Pro-2018.crash

I would guess this has something to do with some memory overflow or memory leak. I am experiencing this issue pretty irregulary, but would guess it happens when ever my memory (I gave Publisher 28 out of 32 GB) is not enough and therefore written to my SSD. It usually happens when I have opened a document a little while ago only and not with the freshly opened document. (After the crash it is usually possible to resize this image when done directly after the restart, but also crashing).

Steps to probably reproduce:

Create a large document filled with images. It has to fill up all your RAM available and write stuff to the SSD.

Wait for all pages to be cached in the memory (scroll slowly through the complete document after opening it)

Resize any of the images within a image box.

If you have any further questions, let me know. Thank you so much in advance!

image.png

10 hours ago, Jon P said:

Hi @Tim Nikischin,

I'm curious if you use a different renderer in Edit > Preferences if you get the same behavior?

Hi @Jon P

thank you for your reply. Renderer was set to Metall and I changed it to OpenGL. I wasn't able to reproduce, what is a good sign actually, but I will keep it set to OpenGL and let you know if I get the same behavior again.

Side question: Besides this bug, what are the difference between the render modes available? Which one is the best to choose?

Thank you so much!

• Staff

Metal is the best if the device you are on supports it correctly (which it should looking at the specs).

There's still a bug here but it will be quite hard to track down, I'll ask the developers to glance over this crash report and see if there's anything we can go off

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

1 hour ago, Jon P said:

Metal is the best if the device you are on supports it correctly (which it should looking at the specs).

There's still a bug here but it will be quite hard to track down, I'll ask the developers to glance over this crash report and see if there's anything we can go off

Ok alright, thank you very much!

Two questions regarding this:

- if the device does not support Metal (correctly) why is it even possible to select?

- if Metal is the best, why is it not set to default for those devices?

Thank you!

• Staff

The crash was in code related to Metal from what I could see so it may help. If you disable that and still get it let me know.

I'm still seeing if we can get any information from the crash report specifically.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

On 4/23/2020 at 12:15 PM, Jon P said:

The crash was in code related to Metal from what I could see so it may help. If you disable that and still get it let me know.

I'm still seeing if we can get any information from the crash report specifically.

Alright thank you. Currently I am not so much layouting but did not experience any further crash which is a good sign actually. However, it feels like being slower without Metal support but nothing I could tell for sure.

Let me know when this will be fixed :)