You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Size changes when flowing text

RM f/g

I’m facing some challenges with a APub document and I can’t figure out what is happening.

When changing the size of a text frame, making it smaller, the text flowing over into the next frame changes from 10 pt to 2.4 pt.

When making the text frame larger, the text flowing in from the second frame changes from 10 pt to 41.67 pt.

Selecting last paragraph of the first text frame or the first paragraph of the second text frame separately shows 10 pt size in the context toolbar. Selecting those paragraphs together results in a blank text size field in the context toolbar. Having entered 10 pt here, the selected text in the first text frame changes to 41.67 pt.

Cutting and pasting the text ino a plain text document and then copying and pasting back into the APub document doesn’t make a difference.

Deleting the second text frame and reflowing the text into a new frame gives the same result.

Deleting the second text frame and autoflowing the text adds 12 new empty pages. As if they were filled with 41.67/50 pt text.

This happens in both retail 8.3 and beta 8.4.648 versions.

Other threaded text frames – not threaded with these two – in the same document don’t show this behaviour.

Is there anyone out there who could shed some light on this phenomenon?

93-Pe4 kopie.afpub

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

4 minutes ago, RM f/g said:

When changing the size of a text frame, making it smaller, the text flowing over into the next frame changes from 10 pt to 2.4 pt.

When making the text frame larger, the text flowing in from the second frame changes from 10 pt to 41.67 pt.

The first question needs to be: When you created the text frame on the left, and made it its current size, which node/handle did you use? There are 8 nodes attached directly to the frame, and 1 on the lower right side that is detached from the frame.

If you ever used the one that is detached, you resized the frame and scaled its contents. Depending on exactly when you did that, it will cause effects like the one you're reporting.

On the other hand, I've also recently seen a report about importing IDML data causing a problem like you have, so it may also be good to know if you've done that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt, for having a look at this.

The file was idml before I saved it as APub. The file didn't contain any text then.

After drawing the first text frame, I pasted the text into it, drew the second, linked frame and then resized the frames to fit the margins.

I tend to stay away from the detached node of the frames in a document like this as it changes the text size as well.

What I failed to do at first, is delete both text frames. Having deleted them I drew new ones and pasted the text into those. Then everything worked fine.

So I suppose it had something to do with the frame itself, not with the text.

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

Interesting. I'm not sure what's going on, but we do see occasional reports of behavior like you reported. I'm not sure it's ever really been figured out.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I remember, I didn't change the dpi. I pretty sure I didn't.

I have meanwhile experienced more or less the same behaviour in the same document, different text, when the preceding (empty) paragraph still had the imported MS Word paragraph style assigned. After changing the paragraph style of this paragraph to a style defined in APub, the following paragraph behaved normally.

• 1 year later...

This is still a problem as of Publisher 1.10.4.

In my case, I copy and pasted a couple of text frames from a different Publisher document. The source and target document are the same DPI, i.e., 600 DPI, set at document creation. When I link to a new or empty text frame on the next page, the flowed text shrinks by 50%, which I imagine represents a DPI issue, the default of 300, vs 600.

The only fix I have found is to create the text frames from scratch, and only copy-and-paste the frame content.

On 11/26/2021 at 6:19 PM, mwdiers said:

When I link to a new or empty text frame on the next page, the flowed text shrinks by 50%, which I imagine represents a DPI issue, the default of 300, vs 600.

There is no "default" document resolution. And, as you mention, both your documents use the same resolution, so resolution wouldn't cause a change anyway. It rather sounds one of the text frames got scaled with its bottom right outer handle, which scales the frame dimensions including its text properties.

Unfortunately their is no option yet to reset a text frame which got scaled this way, so the best is to replace it with a newly created frame, as you pointed out.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1