You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Music PDF (Sibelius/Finale) import to Publisher font changing

Hi Rihanab,

From my experience, I prefere to assume different versions and avoid editing everything in one specific software. With "normal" music writing, things can go right but with specific notation, etc. things can go really wrong and I almost end up redoing everything from the start. Finale and Sibelius have different text fonts and hardly accept each others'. It's not between PC and Mac, it's between Finale and Sibelius.

Just make sure you have all the fonts installed and try the preferences menu. You may spend some time there but no guaranties it will work. Be glad you won't have to change from Dorico... That would be a pain!

@Rihanab Just to clarify, does this have anything to do with Affinity Publisher, such as trying to import PDFs of music into Publisher? Unless I misread the meaning of your post, it looks like you may have accidentally found the wrong forum.

So laying aside anything Publisher specific, or even anything related to desktop publishing, I do agree with what João has said. You generally cannot expect to open a project from one application into another faithfully. To the extent that each software can accurately write to and import from MusicXML, you should still have the notes, staves, articulation, etc., but what you describe is just what I would expect: general issues where spacing and even fonts do not have the same appearance. I also agree with João that sometimes it is easier to just start fresh rather than trying to undo all of the quirks that came in the translation from one product to another. This is akin to what we are used to in this forum in importing IDML from InDesign and opening it in Publisher, and people are surprised that the results aren't identical. Whether it is InDesign vs Publisher or Sibelius vs Finale, each has its own approach and strengths and weaknesses, and converting from one to the other is always going to be just an approximation.

In fact, it seems to be even worse for music than it is for us with IDML conversion, though I must confess that I have not used Finale in years. My last version was 2011. In more recent years I have preferred the very different approach of using Lilypond together with Frescobaldi, and engraving for me is only an occasional hobby, albeit a very fun one.