You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Poll Desktop (Question MAC & Windows) Application & OS

Add appropriate Affinity Application and OS in Title Line when creating new topic.    

2 members have voted

1. 1. Forum

• Constructive comments for Title Subject for or against forum change to add the “Most Appropriate”  Affinity Application and OS in Title Line.  Serif, if capable,  format forum menu fly outs to allow users to click on application and OS. If deemed necessary to accommodate those unsure, confused or subject is considered general to all Affinity Application and OS have fly out for all.
    • Include taxonomic classifications and thematic distinction

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

A lot of ifs and assumptions I know ...

As simply as I can put it, it is your fundamental assumption that there usually is a 'most appropriate' app and/or OS for most topics that I think is wrong. Consider for instance your How do I change color using HSL:  AFFINITY PHOTO/MAC.example. The HSL adjustment is available in all 3 apps & both the Mac & Windows versions, & works the same way in all of them. The same is true for the other adjustments, for many of the tools, & for quite a few of the Studio panels.

So, even assuming you include an 'all app' and/or a 'both OS' option, there are several different possibilities people would have to 'train' themselves to scan through in the topic list.

Besides, requiring any kind of 'training' to scan for topics of interest strikes me as a very bad idea for what is, after all, a forum intended to offer product support for all 3 desktop apps running on either (or both) Mac & Windows systems, including for people that have zero experience with any of the Affinity apps.

I also do not understand what you mean by "If not, all post would print." If it is like your HSL example, would not all topics 'print' whether or not they included an app & OS suffix in their titles?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

Besides, requiring any kind of 'training' to scan for topics of interest strikes me as a very bad idea for what is, after all, a forum intended to offer product support for all 3 desktop apps running on either (or both) Mac & Windows systems, including for people that have zero experience with any of the Affinity apps.

This is not a training, a regular request by forum users that upsets or runs against  your mental perspective.  It’s users choice to scan, should not be imposed, if it’s possible to be avoided. BTW, I meant all post would be posted or appear as now (my bad), as now, nothing is lost for all users to read, at their will all, some or none.  

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

So, even assuming you include an 'all app' and/or a 'both OS' option, there are several different possibilities people would have to 'train' themselves to scan through in the topic list.

Is this your fear?  Please consider 10% of users may have your level of intelligence.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

9 minutes ago, Cecil said:

This is not a training ...

Then why did you write just two hours ago "I would think one would train their eyes to scan, if they only wanted to read Affinity Photo or other application, even either OS’s, to scroll"? What else could that have meant?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

9 hours ago, R C-R said:

But you have no idea if or how that actually would enable anyone to quickly scroll through or otherwise facilitate anyone finding the topics that are only or mostly applicable to Publisher, Designer, or Photo.

That defies human logic, assuming users are truly incapable of scanning post for a particular application, that they choose to scan,  which would clearly be identify, if implemented.  Is it that difficult to read Publisher/Windows in the main title, if one is looking for it?  How do they manage to find answers to questions as presented now?  Many with incomplete subjects, some with Mr. or email in Title.  Many frequent and redundant first replies, please provide us with your application and OS, to allow members to reply to your question.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

On 4/19/2020 at 1:30 AM, R C-R said:

Also, as is your poll makes no provision for votes that oppose any change so it has an inherent bias.

I second that. Where's the option for voting "Please, no changes"? Not saying, I'd pick that one, but without any such option the whole poll is completely useless as it's 100% biased towards a change - members could just chose what kind of change.

Or, well, maybe it actually DOES reflect the majority's opinion already? Considering that there are only two votes as of now. Like, we could have 283 people already, who decided for not voting for either option given as they don't want any changes?

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

21 minutes ago, Andy05 said:

I second that. Where's the option for voting "Please, no changes"? Not saying, I'd pick that one, but without any such option the whole poll is completely useless as it's 100% biased towards a change - members could just chose what kind of change.

Or, well, maybe it actually DOES reflect the majority's opinion already? Considering that there are only two votes as of now. Like, we could have 283 people already, who decided for not voting for either option given as they don't want any changes?

That was error on my part and I cannot edit or find a way to edit to add a No vote.  

Cecil 

39 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Then why did you write just two hours ago "I would think one would train their eyes to scan, if they only wanted to read Affinity Photo or other application, even either OS’s, to scroll"? What else could that have meant?

As it would be a change requested for so loooooooog, it would amaze many that Serif heard their cry for change and implemented.

Cecil 

3 minutes ago, Cecil said:

That defies human logic, assuming users are truly incapable of scanning post for a particular application, that they choose to scan ...

You keep ignoring several things, among them that quite often there is no particular application (or OS) that a topic only or even mostly applies to. So if no provision is made for that how could anybody know if their visual scan excluded something that might be exactly what they were looking for?

OTOH, if an 'all apps' or whatever suffix was included to provide for that then there would be at least two suffixes to scan for, three if 'all apps' & 'both OS's' were separate choices, & considerably more if choices were available for any 2 of the 3 apps and/or for the thematic classifications some users (& the second item of your poll) would like to see.

None of these are acceptable, if for no other reason than the other big thing you keep ignoring, that being that this forum should never force anybody who is not already familiar with the Affinity apps to look elsewhere to figure out how to choose from the available suffixes. It defeats the purpose of the forum.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

You keep ignoring several things, among them that quite often there is no particular application (or OS) that a topic only or even mostly applies to. So if no provision is made for that how could anybody know if their visual scan excluded something that might be exactly what they were looking for?

OTOH, if an 'all apps' or whatever suffix was included to provide for that then there would be at least two suffixes to scan for, three if 'all apps' & 'both OS's' were separate choices, & considerably more if choices were available for any 2 of the 3 apps and/or for the thematic classifications some users (& the second item of your poll) would like to see.

None of these are acceptable, if for no other reason than the other big thing you keep ignoring, that being that this forum should never force anybody who is not already familiar with the Affinity apps to look elsewhere to figure out how to choose from the available suffixes. It defeats the purpose of 

Cecil 

3 minutes ago, Cecil said:
46 minutes ago, R C-R said:

As it would be a change requested for so loooooooog, it would amaze many that Serif heard their cry for change and implemented.

Your reply in no way is an answer to what I asked. Either it requires training or it doesn't. Which is it?

Affinity Photo 

5 minutes ago, Cecil said:
8 minutes ago, R C-R said:

None of these are acceptable, if for no other reason than the other big thing you keep ignoring, that being that this forum should never force anybody who is not already familiar with the Affinity apps to look elsewhere to figure out how to choose from the available suffixes. It defeats the purpose of 

No, as I stated so many times, it’s just a matter of users choice.  They clearly could miss something, but it’s possible many are stressed for time.  Many have long work hours, family, children and multiple jobs.  They come home with a few spare minutes and have to read hundreds of post to possibly find one that applies. Again, this does not, in anyway, force anyone from reading, 100%, of every word in all post.  Choice.

Cecil 

38 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Your reply in no way is an answer to what I asked. Either it requires training or it doesn't. Which is it?

To satisfy your itch, I would suggest Serif would announce the change.  Users would see and become accustomed to seeing the populated application and OS, of their choice or not and train their eyes to this novel idea.

Cecil 

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

No, as I stated so many times, it’s just a matter of users choice.  They clearly could miss something, but it’s possible many are stressed for time.  Many have long work hours, family, children and multiple jobs.  They come home with a few spare minutes and have to read hundreds of post to possibly find one that applies. Again, this does not, in anyway, force anyone from reading, 100%, of every word in all post.  Choice.

Are you seriously asking us to believe that your hideously over-worked, over-stressed, over populated workers are using their “few spare minutes” to browse the forums?   In my under-worked, under-stressed and privileged opinion as a retired person (as I am pretty sure that you are) I note that the over-worked, struggling to help us all, Serif Staff have so far managed to help almost everyone on these forums, along with many very knowledgeable forum members, quite nicely just the way it is.   To presume that they should now be wasting their time (which might better be spent designing features that certain people have asked for for several years, or to help all the new people who are coming onboard to get up to speed) to fiddle and twiddle with the Forum design, is perhaps a wee bit supercilious.   Just a thought.  😷

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

6 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

Are you seriously asking us to believe that your hideously over-worked, over-stressed, over populated workers are using their “few spare minutes” to browse the forums?   In my under-worked, under-stressed and privileged opinion as a retired person (as I am pretty sure that you are) I note that the over-worked, struggling to help us all, Serif Staff have so far managed to help almost everyone on these forums, along with many very knowledgeable forum members, quite nicely just the way it is.   To presume that they should now be wasting their time (which might better be spent designing features that certain people have asked for for several years, or to help all the new people who are coming onboard to get up to speed) to fiddle and twiddle with the Forum design, is perhaps a wee bit supercilious.   Just a thought.  😷

Unless you have a good reason to refute those that stated that the forum is unnecessarily complicated, time consuming, impossible to search, and waste of their precious time to cycle through endless post to find one of assistance.  

i will allow Serif to speak for itself, on if it has the resources.  Do you know 1) if possible and 2) time, and code required to change?  As this has a very long history, current conditions caused by CONVID-19, did not contribute, but do understand they are pressed for limited resources.

Retired yes, but compassionate for others, my only case for presenting their side from previous post.  I do read most, but admit I don’t own Publisher and have little affection for Boolean problems.  I did not start the original thread, again, again and again. 

30 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

to fiddle and twiddle with the Forum design, is perhaps a wee bit supercilious

Wee bit, end of the world it seems.

Cecil 

9 minutes ago, Cecil said:

They clearly could miss something, but it’s possible many are stressed for time.

This just keeps getting more absurd. If someone really is pressed for time, why would they waste it scrolling through a list of titles with suffixes? Would it not make much more sense to do a forum or web search for whatever they are looking for?

4 hours ago, Cecil said:

To satisfy your itch, I would suggest Serif would announce the change.

How & to whom? Specifically, how would people new to the forums, including those who have not signed up, know that the suffixes are supposed to but may not actually indicate the most appropriate app & OS for a topic of interest to them? 

You are looking at this the wrong way round. It is not the people already familiar with one or more of the apps or with the forum that we should be most concerned about. It is those who are not familiar with either that most need the help this forum can provide.

Affinity Photo