You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Poll Desktop (Question MAC & Windows) Application & OS

Add appropriate Affinity Application and OS in Title Line when creating new topic.    

2 members have voted

1. 1. Forum

• Constructive comments for Title Subject for or against forum change to add the “Most Appropriate”  Affinity Application and OS in Title Line.  Serif, if capable,  format forum menu fly outs to allow users to click on application and OS. If deemed necessary to accommodate those unsure, confused or subject is considered general to all Affinity Application and OS have fly out for all.
    • Include taxonomic classifications and thematic distinction

Add, in the Title Subject, a change to add the “Most Appropriate”  Affinity Application and OS in Title Line.  
Serif, if capable,  format forum menu fly outs to allow users to click on application and OS.

If deemed necessary, as some have suggested, too accommodate users unsure unsure of the Application/OS or is considered general to all Affinity Applications and OS, create have fly out for all.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection 

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

Sorry, but I don’t understand what this is about at all.

Suggesting when users Create a new Topic in the Desktop (Mac & Windows) Questions, a new fly out menu to add, by checking box indicating the appropriate Affinity Application & OS.  

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Only part of the bugs are OS specific, and there's already distinctive parts in the forum.

If we need to spend 1 hour checking items before posting, checking we used the right words, etc. it'll feel like administrative paperwork, not my cup of tea.

Long ago, a Linux distro lost its forum and replace it with some sort of blog where you needed keywords to find anything. It was the begining of the end too, for this community.

Here, it can become a little messy, but that's the better way to learn and read posts we wouldn't have searched.

I don’t think it hurts to add the app you are using, nor the operating system, in fact I see it as good post formatting. Any detail that helps focus the replies to the topic and prevents having to fish for basic info is a good call in my book.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

2 hours ago, Wosven said:

Only part of the bugs are OS specific, and there's already distinctive parts in the forum.

If we need to spend 1 hour checking items before posting, checking we used the right words, etc. it'll feel like administrative paperwork, not my cup of tea.

Long ago, a Linux distro lost its forum and replace it with some sort of blog where you needed keywords to find anything. It was the begining of the end too, for this community.

Here, it can become a little messy, but that's the better way to learn and read posts we wouldn't have searched.

Should take maximum 15 seconds to check application and OS, software should add selection automatically.

Cecil 

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

I hope you means 2 secondes! :)

I reduced it down fro one hour to 15 seconds for those with a beer or cup of tea in hand.😊  

4 hours ago, Wosven said:

All post would still be posted as now.  The only difference, for those wishing to screen for specific application and OS, the user identified application and OS selected would be applied to post.  For example, if you own AP only, you may or may not wish to read a topic on art boards or master pages, your choice.

Cecil 

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

I hope you means 2 secondes! :)

Particularly if "general to all" is an option. 😈

From what I have seen on other product support sites that require this sort of thing, it ends up being a very popular choice among people in a hurry & those unsure about what 'most appropriate' means.

Also, as is your poll makes no provision for votes that oppose any change so it has an inherent bias.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 minutes ago, Cecil said:

All post would still be posted as now.  The only difference, for those wishing to screen for specific application and OS, the user identified application and OS selected would be applied to post.

How exactly would this screening be implemented?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, R C-R said:

How exactly would this screening be implemented?

Covered in 70+ post in the main thread R C-R, you participated in most.  How implemented would be based on Serif.  My suggestion would add the application title: Affinity Photo/Mac or Affinity Photo/Windows, same for other applications/OS.  One could easily scroll through post, if looking for specific application(s).  Additionally, info may improve assistance by eliminating the need of requesting users application/OS, occurs frequently. This would not eliminate any post or reduce users cross application knowledge, providing user a choice.  

Cecil 

40 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Particularly if "general to all" is an option

If I recall correctly, the general to all was your insistence that one may be needed if question could apply to all appreciations.  I don’t agree it’s necessary as there is zero choice today.

Cecil 

44 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Also, as is your poll makes no provision for votes that oppose any change so it has an inherent bias.

If, as now, the votes remain zero, mute question, Serif will ignore, not suggesting Polls contributes to their decisions. If I could determine how to add, I do it just for your participation.

Cecil 

Poll Option 2:

"Include taxonomic classifications and thematic distinction"

baby.jpg

Any chance of a Poll option that includes words I actually understand without having to look them up?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

6 hours ago, Cecil said:

My suggestion would add the application title: Affinity Photo/Mac or Affinity Photo/Windows, same for other applications/OS.

The most logical, since there's  already the option to tag the threads, would be to add options with radio buttons (faster than menu) or a blank field if not all the options are listed, and it would result to add the proper tags.

The ones who want to search depending of those options would have to filter (if possible) or search with the available criterions.

> And new option(s) by "favorite tags" would be added to "content I follow".

Edited by Wosven
Added last comment

4 hours ago, carl123 said:

Any chance of a Poll option that includes words I actually understand without having to look them up?

So if I suggested that this poll is about alternatives to the current folksonomy, you would not be pleased? 😈

Affinity Photo 

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

So if I suggested that this poll is about alternatives to the current folksonomy, you would not be pleased? 😈

Suggest as you like; however, your concerns stated in original thread that users may not comprehend appropriate folksonomy, tags.  You deeply expressed concerns, especially implied for new users honorable or your way of posting confusion and intricate maze of post to amuse forum followers?

Cecil 

8 hours ago, carl123 said:

Poll Option 2:

"Include taxonomic classifications and thematic distinction"

baby.jpg

Yes, @R C-R the original author to amuse and add confusion to the original thread, who now suggests adding the applicable application and OS to the initial post would in some way hinder retrieval of data (folksonomy), as posted above. Quote: 

“What about those who want to see some sort of thematic distinction instead of, or in addition to, one based only on app or on app + OS? Would your 'slight' modification provide for that? If so, how?

Beyond all that, these proposals imply that their purpose is to somehow enable forum users to 'subscribe' to or otherwise restrict topics to only those of interest to them. Even ignoring that a great many topics do not (& will never) fit neatly into just one of these taxonomic classifications, how would your or any of the other proposals actually achieve that purpose without considerably more than just a single slight modification to the forum software?”

On a serious note, is there a method I missed allowing one to edit the Poll.  I did omit a third response: No, leave Affinity Question (Mac & Windows) as is.

Cecil 

Strikes me that we cannot get out of virus distance policing fast enough so that we can all find lots of useful things to do besides reorganize Serif.  Also, just to be an additional pain in the neck, it strikes me that the people most likely to be confused by all of this proposed dividing and conquering — the very new users of one, two, or all three of the apps — will be the least likely to have a clue about how to find what they are looking for.  If they know that they want “Mask to below” (just an example) to sort out a problem, they can search for it in HELP.   When they are stuck with something and have no idea that they need to use “mask to below” how are they supposed to find help?   Even more to the point, how are they to be expected to maneuver through a bunch of tags, buttons, or whatever to post a question?  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

5 hours ago, jmwellborn said:

bunch of tags, buttons, or whatever to post a question?

Four total clicks is considered a “bunch”? One click for fly out to select application/check and one to click Fly out and check Mac or Windows?  I think everyone is making this or considering users that manage to operate Windows or Mac OS’s a little less intelligent than I do.  I think if they state their problem and appropriate application/OS, they have a greater chance, first time, receiving answer. As is on my iPad to create new topic: click +, click Topic, scroll through all topics, select topic, Title appears, fill in title, Tags optional. If they can navigate that, you assume they don’t know the application and OS they own? Fly outs would list the three application and fly out list the two OS to check.  No typing, automated process, assuming forum can indeed be program to do so.

Cecil 

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

Four total clicks is considered a “bunch”? One click for fly out to select application/check and one to click Fly out and check Mac or Windows?

1.  What about the thematic distinctions, as in the second of your poll options? How many themes do you think this would result in, & how would they be organized?
  2. You are assuming the forum software (which remember supports not just desktop systems but also tablets & smart phones) even has the capability of adding fly-outs or the equivalent. 
  3. Even assuming it does, how specifically would this enable users to filter or otherwise reduce the topic list to just those meeting some set of these criteria? I have asked you this before, & your answer (such as it was) was that it was up to Serif to decide how to do that. From that, I have to conclude that you have not considered this, or even if it is possible without major changes to the forum software.
  4. Since Serif did not design the forum software, there may not be anything they can do to implement any form of categorization or filters based on it other than the current tag based implementation (a.k.a. folksonomy, social classification, social indexing, etc.).
1 hour ago, Cecil said:

I think everyone is making this or considering users that manage to operate Windows or Mac OS’s a little less intelligent than I do.

Among other things, what some of us are considering is that a great many topics are equally applicable to more than one OS and/or Affinity app. Not everyone who might use this forum (which includes those who never post anything to it) is aware of that, most importantly new users & potential users of the Affinity apps.

It is not about intelligence; it is about how to keep this forum as useful & accessible as possible to everyone interested in the Affinity products, regardless of how much or how little prior knowledge they have about these apps or graphics software in general. It does not matter if they actively participate in the forum or not. It also does not matter if they have found any relevant forum topics from web searches, in which case the forum tags or subheadings or whatever may be irrelevant.

Affinity Photo 

What about the thematic distinctions, as in the second of your poll options?

Remember this is a poll, not implementation.  I never thought it should be consider, although you discussed it in detailed in original thread.

You are assuming the forum software (which remember supports not just desktop systems but also tablets & smart phones) even has the capability of adding fly-outs or the equivalent. 

1) I always put that upfront that forum may not support, so be it, let us know, move on?  Not much to ask, IMHO.  This has always been, a Desktop (Questions MAC & Windows) request, although I seen my iPad Pro put many  programs to shame.  

Even assuming it does, how specifically would this enable users to filter or otherwise reduce the topic list to just those meeting some set of these criteria? I have asked you this before, & your answer (such as it was) was that it was up to Serif to decide how to do that. From that, I have to conclude that you have not considered this, or even if it is possible without major changes to the forum software.

No, if 1) if you set the application fly to the three Affinity Applications and 2) OS, the ability for users to still apply tags remain. I have never suggested limiting topics, (above post topic implies users must select (Questions (MAC & Windows), this has always been about adding the application and OS, by fly outs or however Serif could implement, in addition to the topic.  Once again, +, Creat, Topic, Application/OS/and tags if used.  I think Title confuses many as they believe it applies to Mr, name or email address. Replaced by Question?

Your questions 3/4 repeats as I stated above and many times I don’t know if forum change Is possible and as nothing will change if only, as I originally suggested in original thread, application name and OS added, all post to Questions (MAC & Windows) will be posted, as now.  So new or old users would see all post.  If equal importance, pick most relevant and explain.

Your last post is, IMHO, repeating, dancing around The fancy that nothing is really changing, of significance.  Adding application/OS is not earth ending, adding every other minute detail and number 2 to poll.

A great thing, Serif is successful, has three great applications and as I stated, I don’t know the totals by application or total of those owning one or more applications.  The one thing I can state with Increase purchases, 100% accuracy, many have asked and will continued to ask, to separate Desktop (Questions Mac & Windows) by application.  My goal wasn’t to reorganize or revamp Serif forum. I suggested to gap the divide, adding application name and OS, for those that want a quick way to scroll through increasing daily post for Publisher, if that’s their game, or cup or tea.  

Cecil 

1 hour ago, Cecil said:

I suggested to gap the divide, adding application name and OS, for those that want a quick way to scroll through increasing daily post for Publisher, if that’s their game, or cup or tea.  

But you have no idea if or how that actually would enable anyone to quickly scroll through or otherwise facilitate anyone finding the topics that are only or mostly applicable to Publisher, Designer, or Photo.

Affinity Photo 

6 hours ago, R C-R said:

But you have no idea if or how that actually would enable anyone to quickly scroll through or otherwise facilitate anyone finding the topics that are only or mostly applicable to Publisher, Designer, or Photo.

If...if...if...Serif is able, immediately after Title to add the application name and OS, one should, if it’s their intention, to identify one of the three apps, not brain surgery.  A lot of ifs and assumptions I know,  that is/was the primary suggestion.

How do I change color using HSL:  AFFINITY PHOTO/MAC.”  I would think one would train their eyes to scan, if they only wanted to read Affinity Photo or other application, even either OS’s, to scroll.  If not, all post would print, as now for maximum cross application knowledge, you main concern.  If your intention is to disagree, for the pleasure is otherwise, great job. BTW, this was presented int the original post.

Cecil