You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo hangs when trying to work with simple Publisher file

[Reposted -- which was wrongly in the beta section posted first]

With the latest 1.83 version for all three programs I also have the problem, already reported for the beta

When I open a simple publisher document image in an image frame and two text boxes and then try to open and modify that (with the gradient tool) in Photo it will hang / crash. As I understood that should not be the case, as it's told the file format would be similiar. But it seems not to be the case. When I create a similiar document directly in AP it works fine.
I can't attach the sample file which is 40 MB. I have uploaded it here (available till 23 april 2020): https://we.tl/t-8RNafKNa6s

What happens to bug reports? Seems I have taken the time to find the right place to post bugs, describe the problem, but nobody cares!?

BTW, the marketing text says that Publisher documents can be fully edited in Photo and Design -- which seems not to be true in that case.

5 hours ago, rpnfan said:

What happens to bug reports? Seems I have taken the time to find the right place to post bugs, describe the problem, but nobody cares!?

There are many bug reports, and a limited number of staff to process them. Plus, they're working under adverse circumstances at the moment.

Depending on who is available, and the areas they work in, and how much research is needed, a bug report may be responded to in a matter of hours, but sometimes it will take days, or a week or two. They are all tracked, though, and will be handled at some point.

Once someone from the QA or Support staffs has validated your report, it will be logged in another database and passed over to the developers. At that point, it might be fixed relatively quickly, or might take years, depending on how complex the problem is internally and other priorities they have.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt, good to hear that the reports are read at least. But I see that the team seems to small and they cannot really get to all matters which normally would be important. 😞  (I'm not speaking of this bug here, but missing features like cross references and others).

• Staff

I'm curious if the program straight up crashes for you or just freezes for a long time? I'm not getting a crash but it does take a lot of resources to apply the gradient as it's applying it across a much larger area than it should be.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

It hangs "forever". I did not wait "forever", but it takes way longer than it should.
Similar: also when I'm on the background (image layer) and use the command "Auto-Contrast" or "Auto-Color" it takes very long (minutes) till the operation finishes (if it does). In all cases the program states "no reaction", when I press ESC to cancel the processing and  APhoto does not react at all. I have not waited more than several minutes, but needed to kill the process. 😞 

A similar document (same image and texts) directly

My laptop is not the newest, but with other programs (Photoshop, Capture One.) I can work in decent speed - Intel Core i3 3110M, Intel HD Graphics 4000 with 16 GB of RAM