You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo: Strange "Selection Raster" layer

Hello all,

new - proud - Affinity user here, please be kind :)

While practicing with my first steps in AP, suddenly I found this layer, marked as "Selection Raster" type.

image.png.d4657ade3dddc8ce288aabec653c22f1.png

I cannot rename nor delete it. And I don't know how it was created.

I searched Google about it and found nothing, I also checked the docs but I haven't found any trace of Selection Rasters...

Can anybody shed some light on what is it, its purpose and how to get rid of it?

Using AP version 1.8.3 in Windows 10 x64 (Italian, but I set English language in AP).

Thank you very much in advance,

Mario

Edited by Mabian
Better title

Have you tried looking at your History panel to see if this gives an indication of what you did. You could then step backwards in History to remove it. 

The fact that it is a label in brackets (Selection Raster) suggests that is something that Photo has created.

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Hey thanks John, I looked in thehistory when it happened yesterday, but I could not see anything seemingly related.

Now I saved and quit, so I lost the history. After reloading the rogue layer is still there. I'm really curious.

I'm keeping a copy of the document in case someone in the dev team wants to take a look at it...

- Mario

• Staff

Hi Mabian,

Welcome to the forums :)

I can get one if I make a selection, enable Quick Mask , Edit Copy and go to File > New From Clipboard. Our QA team thinks these are created when making an alpha selection.

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/23/2020 at 2:02 PM, Callum said:

I can get one if I make a selection, enable Quick Mask , Edit Copy and go to File > New From Clipboard.

Hi @Callum,

I came across this, too, and can give  a recipe:

1. In APh make a marquee selection. If you make something that is not a square it becomes obvious that this 'thing' is something like a bounding box.
  2. Enable Quick Mask, hit V and copy what you see (exactly as you found above).
  3. Then deselect and leave Quick Mask. Or switch over to AD. And paste.
  4. Result: one of these objects/layers that can not be deleted. Looking at it you see it is basically the bounding box of the selection created before copying.

I bring this up because I am not sure of its use or if it is even a bug that should be posted in the bugs forum. What do you suggest.

(Actually I tried this because I wanted to try and see if there is a way to turn a selection into a vector object. But this is not the way to do it 🙂   ....   and as we all know there is no way at all to do it momentarily)

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

4 hours ago, dominik said:

I bring this up because I am not sure of its use or if it is even a bug that should be posted in the bugs forum. What do you suggest.

It has to be a bug.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

It has to be a bug.

The more I think about it I think that, too. I'll head over to the bugs forum. First I'll see if Callum chimes in with a second opinion.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

6 hours ago, JimmyJack said:

Grouping it with something and deleting the group seems to do the trick. 👍

Clever, I didn't try that 🙂

d.