You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A Little Better Now . . .

Smee Again

Still shooting mostly auto while I'm getting used to using my new camera. Had to replace my old Canon (probably 15 years old) that I got from my brother back in 2013 after he had pretty much wore it out. The body's autofocus was a manufacturer's defect. It was one of the first DSLR's . . . and besides, no one could take 10,000 pics in a life time. Thus the defect rendered the AF dead.

The lens works fine though because I put it on my EOS T7 yesterday and it works fine. Got to take a few shots this morning. I think the results are better.

Finally got to cut the grass because the yard had dried enough that the push mower wouldn't bog down, so these are all just a memory from this morning.

Thistle_bud.jpg

Thistle.jpg

Thistle_bee.jpg

Thanks for the compliment.  Definitely enjoying having a better tool to work with, even if it is an entry level DSLR.

Only problem is (as with every other digital camera I've ever owned) it has a hard time working with bright red roses. The color is always blown out and nothing like the actual red rose.

17 hours ago, Smee Again said:

Only problem is (as with every other digital camera I've ever owned) it has a hard time working with bright red roses. The color is always blown out and nothing like the actual red rose.

Try to underexpose the image by 0.5-1 step and take the picture as RAW format. With software like Affinity photo, you might be able to recover the flowers' true red colours without loosing details due to the red channel bleeded out the highlights.

If you don't want to do too much post processing, buying a grey card/white balance card could be an option. Balancing the whites with that card next to the flowers and using the same settings for the true image could do the trick. That's a good idea anyways, such cards can be purchased for little money and are really useful in situations with "difficult" lights and colours.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

It isn't as bad as my Nikon Coolpix or my Fuji cameras. About the same as my old Canon 300D (only with a lot more pixels and no more CF card).

Does great on most everything else. It took a bit of work, and still not happy with it. Probably needed to lighten just a bit.

IMG_2127_edit1.jpg