You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Photo Live Projection - placing image into grid

Client asked me to (photochop) his logo onto the front of his building, making it appear as real signage. I tried Photoshop's Vanishing Point filter, which was an unholy mess as with quite a few PS tools, only sometimes it worked. When it did work, it worked well - I drag out a perspective grid along the wall, which was photographed at an angle, paste the logo into that perspective and drag it into place. Only downside, I couldn't edit the logo once it was placed.

Tried the same thing in Photo using Live Projection - the grid placement was far more intuitive and easier to use. The bad, and really bad, I drag out the grid just as in PS, along the wall, place the logo, render the image, and the logo is stretched all along the length of the grid.

So, is there no way, like in PS, to place the logo within the grid without the logo becoming the grid?

4 hours ago, Dr. Dave said:

So, is there no way, like in PS, to place the logo within the grid without the logo becoming the grid?

Why not use the Perspective Tool?

319405161_ScreenShot2020-04-18at08_35_37.png.77773b0c3a5d51f9e0548a75b6c5aeb4.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

In addition to what firstdefence said above, there’s an official video somewhere that shows you how to put a sign on the side of a building in a non-destructive manner (I think it shows how to replace a blank signboard with an image) but I can’t remember where it is. Maybe someone else remembers seeing it and can supply a link to it.

Yup. If I knew how to use it, I probably would have. Thanks.

The problem with the Perspective tool in my case, it doesn't keep the vector logo editable. To achieve what you did, and again I'm obviously not as familiar with the tool as you are, is to rasterize whatever element I add to that flattened section, then merge. I don't see anything non-destructible about it.

My first video shows one basic way you can use the Live Perspective Filter.
You can use this filter on any layer and it’s non-destructive.
My second video shows another basic way you can use it with an embedded document
I watched a nice video a while back showing how to put a new image on a TV, which did a similar thing, and if I can find it again I will post a link here.

@GarryP,

I think I found the tutorial you mentioned. It's located under the Affinity Photo LEGACY tutorials. It's the LIVE PERSPECTIVE PROJECTION

https://player.vimeo.com/video/192599738

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Yeah, thanks Ron P.
That’s the one I was thinking of with the TV – quite far down the list in the “Live Projections” section.
Still can’t find the one with the billboard but I think it was pretty similar.
I think Dr. Dave should have enough to at least get started now.

50 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I know what you are referring to but I can't find it either. I think it might not have been a tutorial; instead something in a product demo. Does that sound right?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

R C-R: I think you might be right in saying that it could have been a demo, or something like that, but I can’t remember who made it. Even remembering how the person spoke might give me an idea of where to look. I should really bookmark interesting stuff more often.

haakoo: I can do web searches, thanks. That doesn’t help me find the one I want without watching a load of videos that I’m not interested in.

PixelPest: Thanks, but that’s not the one I was thinking of. The billboard was on the side of a building.

Maybe I was just imagining it. My memory isn’t great. Then again, I might find it in a few weeks time and not remember why I was looking for it earlier.

9 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Probably this one?

Yes!!! (at least that is the one I was thinking about)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

56 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Probably this one?

This only gets better, I still have questions - in the video @0:20, he clicks on a feature that doesn't exist in my v1.8.3. How old is this video, or do I have to enable that "Separated Mode?"

affinity-designer.png

After looking at both videos, I'm guessing my problem is I didn't pay for the Pro version of Designer - my UI doesn't match what either of you are using.

Here is the bottom of my Layers panel.

UPDATE ###

Just realized, between topics and videos, everyone is using different software, probably different versions. @GarryP your video was helpful to a degree and I appreciate the time you took to process and post it, but from the beginning I was lost - I had no idea how to embed. I rode a train, not knowing what train I was on or where it was going.

I opened Illustrator minutes after I posted this comment the first time; maybe less than 10 minutes ago and finished the project using a Perspective Grid that fast. So I appreciate all the input, as disjointed as it was, but overall my fault for not going to Illustrator from the beginning - would have saved 3 people a lot of time.

affinity-designer-layers.png

Edited by Dr. Dave

7 minutes ago, Dr. Dave said:

Here is the bottom of my Layers panel.

That is from Affinity Designer not Affiinity Photo

Do you also have Affinity Photo?

There is no "Pro" version of Designer

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, Dr. Dave said:

This only gets better, I still have questions - in the video @0:20, he clicks on a feature that doesn't exist in my v1.8.3. How old is this video, or do I have to enable that "Separated Mode?"

Separated mode is a feature in the Mac versions of the Affinity apps. It is not present (or needed) in the Windows ones.

Affinity Photo 

Dr. Dave, different software is being used as the different Affinity applications vary in their functionality. For instance, only Photo has the Live Filters used to get the perspective effect. However, if you have multiple applications you can easily switch from one to the other in order to use the functionality you need.

Embedding documents is very easy. All you need to do is create the first document, then go to the second document and Place the first one in the second one, as shown in the video posted by PixelPest. (Placing a document in either Designer or Photo will embed the document and a document Placed via Publisher can be either embedded or linked.)
The video posted by PixelPest show how to use an embedded document in Designer only while mine shows how to use one in Photo only, but this is only because we are using different functionality. You can use the instructions from the start of PixelPest’s video to get the embedded document and then then switch over to do what I do in mine to get the perspective effect (instead of a simple skew as in the other video).

The Separated Mode allows you to see more than one document at the same time. You can still follow the instructions without it but you may need to switch between windows rather than having them both open on-screen at the same time. That’s the only difference.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2020 at 1:29 PM, GarryP said:

This may be the one you're looking for. About a one minute in: https://youtu.be/OKWEjZMGM

How about Olivia's tutorial from 2 yrs ago..

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD